UpNup's blog View Details
Archive for July, 2018
Posted by UpNup | Jul 21, 2018 @ 01:32 PM | 3,398 Views
On my Ford Flivver’s maiden flight, it rose six feet off the deck and then nose dived. I managed to pull up enough to just pancake. It landed in grass but the central landing gear wire shoved upward hard enough to break the wing-to-fuse “tongue.” She couldn’t fly and I had to take it home after its five second maiden. .

My mind went into overdrive. Reviewed the pre-flight check list. Had the throws set just so-so. Did the range test. Picked a dead-calm day. Why would this plane dive like that?

A guy at the field suspected that I decreased the elevators too much. That was the first hint. Elevators.

When I hung up the plane in my garage, I eventually saw the problem the next day. When I was in my pre-flight checkup. an older flier at the field noticed my elevators were reversed. And he quickly reversed the controls for me.

What I missed was that when the elevator controls were reversed to normal, I did not look at how they were now in a downward position when neutral. Boom. She dove.

My elevator servo was installed in the rear of the plane. It required only moving the control arm 1/8”, but that was enough to level out the elevators.

Some new balsa and Monokote patchwork put the plane back to ready. Looking forward to flying soon.

Another lesson learned. When reversing controls, check the flying surfaces to see if they changed.
Posted by UpNup | Jul 15, 2018 @ 07:37 PM | 2,870 Views
Developed a cockpit for my Long EZ ARF 46 by Nitroplanes. I plan to convert the plane to electric so left room beneath the floor for lipo and electronics.

The ARF came with a flimsy plastic sheet with bumps depicting controls and seat. My mod included 1/32” balsa sheets. Everything is in two pieces. There is a cross ply former that I didn’t want to destroy. This shoved the front seat much further frontward. The seat backs are hollow and slide down over the crossbeams. The floor is 1 1/8” below the sides.

The canopy on the Long EZ is very large. The plans call for mounting it in the corners with four screws. Because I need to change out lipos, the canopy needs to be removed and replaced with ease. I used six pairs of 5/16” diameter rare earth magnets. I made balsa supports that sit on the sides. I sunk a magnet into each one. Then I matched up the canopy and marked where the canopy magnets went. They sunk into the magnet holders on the fuse. This took some fiddling. I used 5 min epoxy on the canopy magnets.

To test the strength I blasted the fuse and canopy with a leaf blower. My anemometer only measures up to 27 mph, but I had a variable speed control on the leaf blower and at least doubled the wind. The canopy held fast....Continue Reading