Larrikin's blog View Details
Archive for March, 2012
Posted by Larrikin | Mar 31, 2012 @ 03:03 AM | 10,484 Views
I've been waiting for some bits to arrive so I may continue with the refurbishment.
The parts have arrived so I had no excuses left, time to get into it.
I'll state in advance that I underestimated the level of difficultly when working with other people's repairs.
This '13 has a hardwood nose block with a plywood "keel" and at some point an aerotow release was made for the nose. Drilling into the nose, through the ply without it wandering would have been difficult and as it was, the hardwood chipped and splintered at the hole opening.
With the tow release unit, I found a suitable brass tube diameter and epoxied both the release unit and the brass tube into the hole and filled the chips and splinters around the hole opening at the nose.

Now for the nose wheel. I cleaned up the area where I intended to put the wheel and cut two pine rails to epoxy in between the fore and aft bulkheads. The idea was to sit the axle onto the rails and clamp with "Saddle Clamps". But first I had to see how much of the wheel was protruding below the fuselage. I'm using the clamps in a way they weren't intended to be used but I hope they'll do the job. ( I bought spares )
Now that this is done. I'm ready to begin planking the outside.

D.