Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes
Printed Warbirds and more. Part 2
Printed Warbirds and more. Part 2
Thread starter's only
Page 1 of 4
This is the one that started it all. A bit pixellated but still an impressive work.
Got to have at least one bad guy (well at least from the american view) for Air combat with
This was actually my second effort at reworking a print plane. Lot's of work here in Illustrator to include the rivet work.
My first effort at redoing one of Tim's work.
Just a fraction of the old fleet. All have had gear installed and flown
10"ws P-40 on a CD, broke the propshaft
I know some requested a FW-190. This one was a fresh build waiting for gear. TIP INLARGE the H. STAB
B-25 bomber, waiting for orders
Allied P-40 Warhawk on the look out for Axis birds
Axis FW-190 comming in overhead !!!
Hey what can I say I had the black laying around.
Look close and you will see a friend of mine hiding. :-)
My camera man wasn't good with the zoom so none of the pictures of the flight were close enough to give detail.
Bit tight on the landing
Threaded the needle safely though
And Flare in for landing nice and soft. A serious requirement in the desert where grass is an expensive luxury.
Thumbnail - use zip for real work.
Note the magnets I have on the nose for glide tests. Better than using tape and a weight, which would ruin the print.
Print is laid out only for cutting. This will be replaced with heavy stock and better looking print.
Torque rod ailerons. Mmm, stealthy control linkages!
I really hope that the battery compartment isnt too far forward. Might need some tail weight.
I scaled the wing out a bit from the original plans to 38.5"
Guess this is what happens when it is driven nose first, full throttle.
3D render of the P40 designed by MyDigitalParadis.
I'll try the prop saver with slow fly prop first before swapping out for something a bit better. Currently lifts vertical at 50% throttle.
The body is thicker than it looks in the picture. I used a print to check it's width and it's only thinner than scale by a hair.
This profile is scale. Whole thing still needs a lot of sanding to round it off, etc.
A really dense/strong EPS foam...
Canard/v-stab will be done in Cell Foam 88...
Held together with toothpicks for photos.
Roll of tape next to it for scale.
Still needs a tad bit of sanding here and there.
Tony55x65's KF wing folding instructructions ( I think this is from the Blu-Baby build thread).
Skin is peeling up on the trailing half of the wing here.
The light tan part is gorilla glue.
Back view of the step.
Now this is the overal graphic for one surface of a wing. It's not complete as there are still a few details to be finished.
Blasting German installations.
HawkinsTempest E Size.pdf
balsa-edged elevator with stab
balsa-edged elevator - recovered - bottom
stab and recovered elevator
balsa-edged elevator - bottom side
rudder has been cut away
balsa-edged elevator - recovered
The covered stab and elevator, including the beveled balsa elevator joiner
The spar has been installed, and the wing and aileron undersides papered
carving out the spar slot for the carbon fiber tube. Finished off with a piece os sandpaper wrapped around a short length of tube
The invasion stripes sure look cool
The spar has been epoxied in place, weighted, and allowed to cure overnight
The wind underside with aileron cutouts. I cut out the ailerons before skinning the wing bottom. Made for much extra and un0necessary work. lesson learned
The printed nose was measured to find the point with the same diameter as the spinner, and cut away.
The motor was trial-fit to the mounting stick, and positioned so that it sat in the right spot on the fuse. Everything was then marked.
The ParkZone P-51 has a shape pretty close to the Tempest's, the size is just right, and the yellow color matches the leading edge stripes on the wing.
Here you can see how the entire spinner mounts in front of the prop.
Hopefully the 9x6 SF prop will be well matched to this motor.
The wood stick was drilled, slotted, wrapped with kevlar, and glued.
Laying the mounted motor atop the fuse for marking.
Areas for stick mount and motor have been cut away.
The spine of the fuselage placed, and the channel marked.
Foam cut away - tried to keep it to a minimum.
That spinner sure looks cool even on a white nose.
The motor leads received 3.5mm gold bullet connectors from hobbycity.com.
The spar channel cut away. With a sharp blade, straight edge, and some sandpaper, satisfactory results can be had without too much trouble.
The nose tile was laid over the stick and cut away, so the print would lay flat.
The right side has had a patch applied over the stick for concealment. Good enough, I suppose. Watch that you don't rub the ink off the print when burnishing it down, or get glue on the work.
The left fuse before allpying a patch over the stick mount.
The patched nose doesn't look bad with that big spinner to distract you.
The patched left side - neater than the other side.
The motor seems very small in comparison to the spinner - the backplate almost swallows it up.
With the fully-covered rudder.
Use THIS revised wing bottom
Left fuselage side
Right fuselage side
Individual stab/elevator top
Individual stab/elevator bottom
Fuselage top only
Fuselage bottom only
bearcat left side scaled.zip
Page 1 of 4
All RCGroups content copyright © 1996 - 2015 by RCGroups.com.
Terms of Service
Mark Forums Read
Back to Top