Aircraft - Sailplanes
Thread starter's only
I wish I could spend some time working in my shop. Thanks for sharing, your craftsmanship is outstanding.
carbon wetting machine
44 layers of wet out UHMS carbon
cured carbon (very strong)
The makings. 80gm kevlar with 25 gm glass spray glued to it. Enough for 3 and a bit layers.
Wetting out the kevlar and rolling it between 2 layers of polythene.
Thickened and tinted epoxy on the edge.
Spiral wrapped with polythene.
Tightly wrapped with electrical tape.
Old Mega 7, still unrun. Pretty heavy but I might try it with a long tail version as I have added about 75mm to the end of the boom just in case.
Rolled on over 6 layers of 80gm kevlar this time.
Bagged it instead of the electrical tape wrap.
Using the template to make a polythene bladder.
Slides onto a long copper tube with an air fitting silver soldered to the end. The tube has plenty of holes in it to evenly fill the bladder.
Closed mold with the fitting held in the mold.
Bladder failed at 20psi. Not on the seam though. Bladder failed as it wasn't pushed to the end so not supported.
Inflates OK with only a few lb pressure as long as the bladder is not twisted.
Masked the flanges.
Painted with epoxy undercoat, lots of very light layers.
Rotary knife is great with the template..
Quite a straightforward layup
Hopefully the carbon will not mask the 2.4ghz signal. My Jeti shows signal strength so should be able to sort it.
Layup 3 layers of 100gm Sglass and a strip of uni down the boom
Joiner tape 2 layers of 100 gm Sglass. Pylon filled in.
10PSI in the bladder.
Waxed the bladder and it was easily removed.
Best pic I could get of the inside of the seam.
Made a custom bladder making bench. I remembered I had this pyro pen which turned out to be perfect for bag seam welding.
Clamping the pattern onto the table with the bag material and baking paper underneath.I can easily turn the table around to access the other side.
Testing the bag for leaks. This one had a leak which was easily repairable with the hot tool. The tool seals and trims the bag in one operation.
Concertinaed the bag and ironed folds to keep it flat.
Didn't need vacuum for a nice fit in the mold.
Nice rigid tube.
Bends to fit mold.
laminated 80 gm glass and 80gm Innegra together with spray glue. This stabilised the very loose weave of the Innegra.
I use a scribe to mark out the parts and I got some new Kevlar scissors for this project as there will be a lot of Kevlar cutting for the wings.
Front and back side of the composite material. As you can see the Innegra is very open weave.
Layup done, pretty straight forward really. The join is the most problematic, but I think I have a good system now.
Trim later when the resin is still green. I will fill the pylon first thing tomorrow.
Prepared MDF plates with waxed packaging tape.
Clamped them up.
No way of knowing how the joining tape seated down till it's out of the mold.
Onyx, looks just like a Supra. This one was damaged (ex Dave Griffin) and I just put it back together with a view to building an electric version for ALES. Will be a good thermal weapon too though flown in this config.
Skimming the foam
All RCGroups content copyright © 1996 - 2015 by RCGroups.com.
Terms of Service
Mark Forums Read
Back to Top