Racing Boats - Electric
Fightercat Cheetah - Red Bull Twin
Fightercat Cheetah - Red Bull Twin
Thread starter's only
Well thought out packaging. Boat arrived with no nicks or dings
The only spot with enough clearance to slide a 6s 5000 ma pack in and out through. Once in the sponson there's plenty of room for forward and back adjustment though.
My old Neu 1515 in the sponson with two 3s packs.
Going to make for a really short stuffing tube.
Looks a lot like a Sprintcat to me.
1/8" aircraft ply sponson transom reinforcements
Epoxied in place and sealed with resin. The doubler in the tunnel was already in the hull when it arrived.
Two layers of CF reinforcment add to the hull in the area where the motor mounts will go. Thought it would help spread the narrow load of the plates over a wider area.
After letting it cure and de-fragging the edges.
I know this cardboard template looks like a blob of something.
But it fits the inside outline of the sponson pretty well.
Neu 1515 in back for size reference. The HET's come with a cooling sleeve for EDF use but it wouldn't do much good inside a boat.
I plan to take an inch or so off the stingers
Using the alignment wedges for a drilling jig worked great.
Tips of the stingers are only 2" behind the overhang.
I was surprised at how quickly Cheryl knocked out the vinyl for this one.
Not exactly like madphil's butt the blue and yellow does go together really well
Didn't realise how cluttered the meighbors yard was until I started resizing this photo for upload. Oh well, it's still better than if shot in my workshop.
2nd generation mounting template in place with my 1515 Neu in it to check alignment.
Looks a little different from the 1st one but it's mostly in overall height.
Rudder to prop alignment check.
5/32" brass tubing bent and glassed into the sponsons. I added a few layers of cloth to the area where they were going to be installed before drilling the holes for a little more support around the tubes..
Water entry side after trimming / filing away the excess tube. I went ahead and blueprinted the rear sponsons while at it too.
Rudder placement came out pretty good.
When I 1st got there Dave was working on some UL-1 jackets for an OSE order.
The finished basswood test part
Fit is good on the 1st try. With a little luck I'll have the aluminum versions in a couple of days.
Steering servo and linkage finished
The final product for the motor mounts. Now I have to get them installed if I can find the time. Going to have to start prepping boats for Sunday pretty soon.
Mounts are in. Still needs a little defrag once the resin finishes curing though.
Decided to rehang the motors to make sure I cleaned up the area on the plates where they might get mis-aligned from resin or cloth buildup.
Dave thought these would keep me busy for a while. Fooled him. ;-)
Easy way to seal the openings in the motor while grinding.
Stuffing tube made up and inserted to check alignment
Definately one of the shortest stuffing tubes I've ever made. Does it look like too much of a bend?
1st tube on bottom, 2nd tube on top. The bend is a little more gradual.
Think this is where I'll call it quits tonight. Still have the other side to do tomorrow.
5/31 Both motors now have cooling jackets installed, and the stuffing tubes are epoxied in. Going to let that cure overnight before starting on the front tube supports.
6/01 Found some small scraps of 2 mm CF plate and made up the front stuffing tube mounts.
Time to let the resin cure again.
ESC's mounted, most of the plumbing finished and balance checked with 5s 5000 ma packs.
Radio install finished. Cooling exit lines installed. Foam cut and installed for a wedge in battery installation.
Early morning shot of the cats on the table
A shot in the water
Stub shaft let go. The flex is still attached to the collet.
Motor end of shafts are even.
This is as close to an overhead as I have Phiil.
Decided to go with removing a full inch. Even a full sized stub shaft will still have ample clearance before the bend.
Speedmaster bushing mod parts used for the stingers
Stingers back in place and zeroed out with the bottom line of the sponsons. This was a hard shot to get. had to lay some notebook paper on top of the black table top and prop up my mag lite to sort of illuminate it.
This shot with flash came out really crappy
Currently sporting a c/r pait of X442's for the 6s maiden. I set the shafts up for the 447's so using a little tygon spacer to take up some of the extra shaft length.
A shot from the rear.
Here's a pretty good overhead other than the blur effect of trying to shoot one handed (w/o flash) while holding the straight edge with the other. The back side of the straight edge is butted against the leading edge of the rudder.
Slight distortion at the arrow. It's in a different spot from the 1st shaft that let go. Closer to the motor this time.
Meant to add this photo a while back but forgot until now. Balance leads between the esc's so it's more or less running a 2p setup and keeping the load on the packs evened out.
Shiny...blingy. Tomorrow we'll see how they work.
The photo doesn't really show the extensive cracking in the paint.
After adding a layer of carbon kevlar inside
Decided to put some floatation foam in the hatch so cut myself a pattern from blue foam. A piece of wax paper under the template to prevent it from sticking.
I didn't put quite enough mix in to fully fill the cavity after expansion. Should be enough to keep the hatch afloat if it came off though.
All RCGroups content copyright © 1996 - 2015 by RCGroups.com.
Terms of Service
Mark Forums Read
Back to Top