Aircraft - Sailplanes
Bridgesky Solo 1500
Bridgesky Solo 1500
Thread starter's only
Backyard pic of Solo 1500 in V-tail form. There are two options for the tail included in the box.
Thinking about it is not enough. I should have added a carbon tube (15cmx5-6mm) for extra strength. And now you can see it is a weak point if you want to push the limits.
My prop was way out of balance and this I improved with shallow drilling of holes to lighten heavy side. Of course its far from perfect aerodynamically to modify a prop like this but a simple vibration solution.
I placed thin plated brads (nails) on wing tip to establish how many were needed to lateral balance the glider then pushed into leading edge at that point, careful not to push upwards through top of wing.
This carbon tube needs to be 12 - 15 cms long for tail stregthening. Any longer and it simply goes into a void inside fuselage. The construction adhesive is heavier than CA glue but it does have 'gap filling' qualities. Leave it overnight to set.
I always push the limits. In this case, past the limits. Not impressed with ailerons!
Flying this version for more than a year now and still going strong.
First, I made an outline using a picture of the EagleWing as a template.
I cut out the polystyrene profile using the sketch I made. I also cut out the wing position.
I made an outline of the top and bottom centre section of wing and inserted this into wing hole using a wing plug on each side to get exact alignment of wing. I then carefully carved back to these lines.
Once happy with carved shape I aligned tail and cut out slots before sanding the whole fuselage. A carbon fibre tube will be inserted from the tail right through to about midway of the wing.
The motor mounting is 3 ply and to this I'll drill a hole to the centre to epoxy a wooden dowel of 10cm which will be glued in position for added strength.
Perfectly straight fuselage is all about maintaining a centreline and carving a mirror image left and right.
After sanding to nice shape, the paper covering process using long eliptical strips and 80% wood glue-20% water paste. Small roller helped to smooth it and express excess glue. When fully dry, 400 grit paper for perfect surface.
Shows Eaglewing and my Eagle-Solo hybrid and intended colour scheme using Solarfilm over the smooth paper covered fuselage.
My bench test showed the 'Solo' (Eaglewing) produced 150% more thrust than 'Cloudsfly' (FloaterJet).
The finished hybrid complete with tinted canopy and pilot printed to white paper under transparent blue solarfilm and matching SOLO 1500 trim.
All RCGroups content copyright © 1996 - 2015 by RCGroups.com.
Terms of Service
Mark Forums Read
Back to Top