Recent Attachments for Gerald
Page 1 of 3
Liberty wing plan.pdf
Battery is inserted from underneath just behind or in front of firewall (cowl bulkhead). Receiver and ESC goes behind forward bulkhead in upper part of the cavity.
The aileron servo is accessed through the front end when the cowl and motor is out.
Each elevator half is independent of the other, so each has its own pair of pull wires.
Elevator and rudder linkages are pul-pull type. Each elevator half is independent of the other, so each has its own pair of pull wires. The adjustment is made at the servo control horn.
Elevator and rudder servos are accessed through the cockpit opening.
View of the magic notch and the top bend in the wire.
Gear lowered position.
Full assembly shown in the retracted position. Total weight of this unit is 16g with a plastic wheel from the kit.
Here's the magical notch in the housing that makes everything work. This one's a bit rough but it still works. The next one will be better.
Here, the wire landing strut has been shaped and permanently installed. The top bend is made first. Then the wire is slipped through the pivot from the top. Next a steel washer is soldered to the wire on the other side of the pivot with just enough cleara
This view just shows the unformed wire sticking through to test the fit. It needs to turn without any binding.
Next the hole had to be drilled the rest of the way through the pivot. This portion was drilled to .069" to clear the .062" wire freely.
This view shows the plastic bushing after trimming it off flush.
Now the hole must be bushed down in size to fit the lighter 1/6" wire that will be used. This was a plastic inner part of an old pushrod that had about the right inner and outer dimensions. The hole in the retract pivot had to be drilled slightly
The original landing gear wire was way too heavy and stiff. So it was removed first. It is held in with a set-screw.
Hacker B20 22S with 4:1 gear reduction. Weighs 54g. 4g servos for control surfaces.
Plugged in and ready to fly. ESC is under the top of the cowl.
Lipos replace the "old" can cells nicely. (Hmm... that date code on the Lipo is a bit old too)
battery slides in through the front
black long-can speed 400 motor
Aileron servo detail (since I had the camera out)
You might want to use socket head (allen wrench type) screws here to help prevent punching holes in the covering from slipped screwdrivers
Brass threaded inserts were embedded into the lite-ply hard points in the wings.
The pieces are all glued together with JB Weld.
The struts are made from K&S aluminum airfoil tubing that is joined by these aluminum sheet inserts. These also get bent to become the wing attachment flanges.
She haunts me
Anyone got an Ohlsson handy?
This is your highly prefabricated nose cowling.
I wonder if that brown tissue paper covering is still good?
The business end of the "Fokker Menace" appears to be coming in for a strafing run. Take cover!
Sunlight illuminates the satisfyingly intricate appearing inner structure
This E.I has ailerons for positive control. Though the real Eindecker had wing warping, it doesn't detract from the sense of realism when watching it in flight.
Daring the ominous and turbulent skies.
Climbout is brisk and sure.
The Eindecker is in its element taking off from a grass field.
The wind never did really calm down so we flew anyway.
Posing in the pits at SEFF waiting for the wind to calm.
Completed electric power system.
Aileron servos are mounted to removable access panels.
I made up some ball joint ended rods to give bind free motion to the elevator links.
Components look dwarfed in the cavernous fuselage.
Tail skid is pivoted and sprung too.
Wheels are retained by cotter pins through the hollow axle tip.
Functional elastic cords provide spring to the suspension.
The completed Landing gear is a complex but attractive structure.
This engine will be used later so it is test fitted to determine mount location.
All holes in the firewall should have been made prior to covering with foil.
All the frames are complete and the aircraft takes shape.
The trademark Fokker rudder.
Add a touch of individuality by painting your own.
Aces Of Iron pilot as it comes unpainted
The big radial cowling always attracts attention.
Finally it starts to resemble an aircraft!
Tape holds the control wires in place during construction.
Plenty of room in here.
Forward "cheek" cowles are made as individual assemblies from balsa. These will get covered with aluminum foil later.
A large top hatch gives easy access to the internals.
The firewall is bonded with 20 minute epoxy. Clamps hold it in position while the epoxy sets.
All bracing joints are backed up with plywood gussets to tie them together.
The second side is constructed on top of the first to make them match better.
I used wood glue and some handy (heavy) spare batteries to weight things down during drying.
The fuselage plan stretches out to occupy the entire length of the bench.
I chose to sand the brown laser residue fom the ribs all at once.
Wings are two-piece so the plan for each panel fits on my workbench nicely.
The complete kit contents.
Massive number of parts. Can barely fit contents into the box.
Example of one of the 3 large plan sheets
Nearly all attached at the edges but still wet.
The first edge is attached and becomes a reference.
Laying out the silk in the general location and alignment. The bottom of the fuse was covered already.
Page 1 of 3
All RCGroups content copyright © 1996 - 2015 by RCGroups.com.
Terms of Service
Mark Forums Read
Back to Top