HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2002, 12:39 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Bit CharG innards for airplanes?

I just got a Bit CharG micro radio control car on sale at the mall. For the past couple of days I've been terrorizing the cat with it but now I feel the urge to turn this toy to serious (?) applications.

Here's a LINK for anyone that doesn't know what they are.

The guts have a single cell that runs the drive motor and steering for about 3 minutes. Steering is a fine wire coil that I've seen around here on some of the indoor stuff. The coil sits down between two little supermagnets to jog the steering back and forth on command.

I think I can get a Peanut sized model to fly with the drive motor and fix up the rudder to operate off the coil and magnets.

The range for the car is only about 35 feet but I think I'll get more in the air and I'm going to play with a longer antenna on the receiver. If I can get 50 to 60 feet I'll be very happy. For a peanut sized model you don't want to go much farther than that anyway.

I'd try a search but the engine is down just now. And perhaps it's timely to bring it up anyway what with so many of these on sale.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:18 PM
Backyard Bomber
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
well I personally do not think these would be good for planes because of the extremely short range that the car, at least mine has. People have extended the antennaes as well as retuned the car to better recieve the signals. Stock Bit-charG, maybe. Modifyed For sure! also The motors have been useful to many people. the tigerfly in this month's RCmicroflight uses a bitcharg motor. Lemme know if you come up with anything, as I have considered using these cars as well
Bsmooth is offline Find More Posts by Bsmooth
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:26 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
I'm curious. If you take appart a BitCharger car, what would be the weight of the receiver, the actuators, and the magnets? As I understand it, the cars are not proportional (or maybe not very proportional) and are only one-channel to the actuators. So, a lot of people are interested in these because (1) they are cheap, and (2) are light. So, why not do a comparison of the weights compared to other, more expensive, alternatives? If all the parts are not much lighter than a RFFS-100, which has throttle, rudder, elevator control, then I don't see the advantage. On the other hand, if they are substantially lighter, these would allow a rudder only plane, with maybe on/off throttle and may be worth pursuing. There is always the alternative of the Leichty equipment, who makes one and two channel ultralight equipment. For example, my three channel Leichty system with two actuators, and ESC and all wires weighs 1.6g. Of course, it also costs WAY more than a BitCharger car.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:34 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
I bought a bitcharger type car because I thought I might make an ultra simple ultra cheap fly about that I would fit in my bag that I take to work. Something like a mini old timer or better yet a motor glider. Install a toggle switch for the throttle and have simple bang bng for some relaxing gliding.

Plus it's fun but there is a definate need to increase the range.

I think the main advantages of this system are cost and fun factor. It's nice to build something yourself like this and it makes you feel like the A team, you know when they always got locked in a room full of welding equipment and plate steel.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:40 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,874 Posts
They are certainly cheap - I buy the clone versions from Toyeast in Hong Kong and they are less than 10 bucks each.

Range can be improved by using longer aerials on both RX and TX and I belive the TX can stand higher voltage and thus boost the range. The RX also seems to be able to handle the higher voltage of a LiPo cell.

Perhaps I should sacrifice one for science

Perhaps we should have a design contest? :?

I'll skin one and weigh the guts.

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:41 PM
West Virginia
Joined Nov 2002
38 Posts
This idea is similar to a little project I am working on as well.
Rather than using the Bit Char-G however I am using some of the cheaper clones. In many cases the clones come with more powerful motors than the stock bit-chars. Also they are about half the price. The most recent one I got for experimentation was from ToysRUs called MicroBlast Racers. Instead of an actuator the car actually has a tiny servo style motor in it for steering. I thought I may be able to use it for some kind of rudder control.

For $13 dollars you can't go wrong.
rustycage is offline Find More Posts by rustycage
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:49 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
a design contest does sound a good idea, it is within everyones league to buy one of these things and have a go.
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Nov 21, 2002, 01:52 PM
West Virginia
Joined Nov 2002
38 Posts
A design contest does sound like a great idea. It was the concept of converting these cars that caused me to stumble across this awesome forum in the first place.

Could I that suggest to keep it simple that we put a cap on the $$ amount of supplies? It would be awesome if we came up with some great designs under $50 all inclusive.
rustycage is offline Find More Posts by rustycage
Old Nov 21, 2002, 02:03 PM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,874 Posts
RX board, 2xcoils and steering magnet weigh 2.9 grams. I weighed the aerial seperately - 0.4 grams. Throw it away and use a magnet wire. Sufficient power for stearing could probably be acheived with a smaller magnet. The ones I normally use are only 0.1 grams. Even with a couple of plugs and some wire we are talking under 3 grams.

Original motor and gearing could probably be used as well. Another 3 grams with prop.

LiPo cell - add 4 grams.

Sooo, we are looking at 10 grams with of hardware - not too bad. A 3 gram airframe is easily acheiveable with a stick fuse and foam wings/tailfeathers. AUW less than 15 grams. That just HAS to work. If the range can be improved enough we have a winner.

Graham; can we set up a contest through the inside story? I'll sponsor a prize for the winner. This could be fun.

Michael
Old Nov 21, 2002, 02:09 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
How about making it a flying objet comp

I have been designing a mini rc blimp with one

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Nov 21, 2002, 02:20 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Michael,
That was quick. So, without the antenna it weighs 2.5g. An RFFS-100 receiver weighs 1.7g, and each actuator weighs 0.9g. So, a single channel RFFS-100 weighs 0.1g more -- and has speed control and proportional actuator control. So, the reason to do this does not have to do with weight. It would be for cheapness. Ok, so there we have it. This would be a cheap way to get an indoor RC plane.

BTW, way back before this formum got started Allan Wright did a Canned Heat conversion, and wrote it up on his Canned Heat Page. There might be some ideas there. Of course, I have no BitCharG car or a Canned Heat. I may have to get some. I've been thinking they would make great stocking stuffers for my boys, 5 and 2.5 years old, this Christmas. 'Course, dad has to get a couple too.

Gordon
Old Nov 21, 2002, 02:33 PM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,874 Posts
2.9 grams was minus the antenna.

If range will suffice we are looking at a sub ounce model for around 20 bucks all included. Who needs throttle and proportional control anyway Great speed brakes too (motor reversing)

Michael
Old Nov 21, 2002, 02:35 PM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,874 Posts
I forgot to add:

I put one of my carbon cam props on the original gearbox (clone Bit) and it provides reasonable punch at 0.45 amps on a LiPo cells. The motor just gets slightly warm.

Michael
Old Nov 21, 2002, 02:43 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Michael,
So it's heavier than I thought. But, you can save some weight with your CF prop.

Gordon
Old Nov 21, 2002, 03:12 PM
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,388 Posts
Did someone say contest? I'm in! I found another "clone" at Toys "R" us for $12.00. I use didel gears i order from Graham(best price on the web). I use a coil actuator and mini magnets(once again from Graham). whats cool about these RX's is they aren't particular about the ohm's in the actuator. I just wind a coil till i looks about right and fire away!(Maybe i'm just getting lucky). I use a depron type material for the body. CA and epoxy holds the thing together. I use markers for a splash of color. i make my props from mini venitian blinds. One li-poly for go juice. Total cost about $20.00 dollars Total fun= priceless-Greg
gbarc is offline Find More Posts by gbarc