HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2002, 08:34 AM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Airsurfer Biplane at Wal-Mart

Has anyone seen the Airsurfer Biplane at Wal-Mart? Twin engine and I think a 30" wingspan. Kinda strange looking fuselage though. What I'd like is to buy a set of replacement wings for it and do my own biplane.

Jimmy
Capt. Electron is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Electron
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:50 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Great find, Jimmy. Here's some info on the Hasbro Air Surfer biplane:

http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.airsurfer/dn/default.cfm

Here's some background on the wing design, produced by Tyler MacCready, whose brother helped develop the Gossamer Condor and whose father is the chairman of AeroVironment:

http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.airsurfer/dn/default.cfm

And here's a link to the Wowwee Air Surfer website with videos of the original wing:

http://www.wowwee.com/airsurfer/index.html

Then there is SPFD-E-FLYER right here on the E-Zone who has adopted this interesting wing design into a larger, powered flying wing:

http://rcgroups.com/photopost/showph...papass=&sort=1

I would say from Tyler MacCready's obviously strong background in aerodynamics that this could be quite a good design for a low weight, high lift, slow flying wing. In my first search, I was unable to find a retail outlet for the simple Wowwee unpowered wing that preceded the biplane. If anyone can find this wing at a store somewhere, I'm sure that there would be quite a few people interested in buying one and learning from it.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Oct 19, 2002, 11:37 AM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Thanks for the links Dave, yep that's what I saw in Wal-Mart. I don't remember if it was Hasbro but they looked identical to that.

Actually I was looking to see if they had the unpowered Wowwee wing, I've been looking around for one too but no luck so far. I had seen the posts from SPFD-E-FLYER and thought it was pretty interesting. That's when I found the biplane. The fuse is shaped like the handle on a weed-eater though, and the wing struts are really thick. The thing looks kind of draggy, but I guess it goes so slow it doesn't matter that much.

Now that I've thought about it, for $ 59.00 even if you toss the radio that's not too far out of range for a 30" biplane ARF with two motors. And I'd get to check out the airfoils. I may get one, I've paid more for less

Jimmy
Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:59 PM
Oakdale, MN, USA
Joined Sep 2001
379 Posts
Wow Wee Wing. . .

Guys, I just picked up the Wow-Wee Wing at a local ToysRUs for $4.99. There are two wings in the package and it looks like you use part of the package for creating lift as you walk behind it. I haven't tried it yet outdoors (the winds are up here again) and I have no idea how it handles with any speed. It might be a low-speed optimized design, like the Gossamer planes.

However, that being said, it is light, strong, and glides very respectably indoors. It crosses our living room with negligible sink.
SPFD-E-FLYER used this design (scanned) to scale up his indoor flyer. I simply took his JPEG off this site and blew it up in Paintshop Pro. I have two versions run off the Designjet plotter in 72 inch and 40 inch versions. These are just half-wing template like the plans gpw posts on Hippo's site. They work pretty well.

Dave, I've got both blue and pink foam at my disposal. What do you think? The blue is lighter, but the pink might be stiffer and require less reinforcement. The leading edge of these wings need to be bent and the trailing edge, of course, reflexes. That should actually impart some strength, at least compared to a simple plank.

Regards,

Dale Case
Dale Case is offline Find More Posts by Dale Case
Old Oct 19, 2002, 06:54 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Wouldn't you know right after posting a message here I "discovered" SPFD-E-FLYER's week-old thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=65870

Dale, I'd pick the foam that you think would be best, and if it doesn't work, try the second. Different people seem to like one over the other for different reasons.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Oct 19, 2002, 09:19 PM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
I checked around today and can't find the Wowwee wings anywhere in this town. And I've had an itch to get an Airsurfer wing bad so I went ahead and got the biplane.

I was wrong about the price it is only $49.95, rather than $59, but I found out that Toys R Us has a special version with an extra battery pack. So it came with two 6 cell AAA NiMh packs. That kinda sweetens the deal a little. No mah rating on the packs but when I cycle them on my Orbit for break-in I'll find out what they hold.

It of course comes with a charger, fill it full of C cells and it will charge the pack in 100 minutes. Or plug in a 1 amp 12V wall adapter (not included) and they charge in 25 minutes.

I'm gonna put it together stock first and find the CG they're using and the wing spacing dimensions and angles. And the weight, there's no mention of weight or wing area, but I guess it's more of a toy than a hobbist product. The two wings are not stacked like normal, the upper wing is way ahead of the lower wing. Looking from the top it's almost a front and rear wing.

Oh well, it will make for some good experimenting. I'm anxious to see what the airspeed range will be. It says it flys best in 2~8 MPH winds, it may be a little faster than I thought.

The radio that comes with it provides differential thrust to steer. The motors are either on or off, no actual throttle, just a switch. Steering right kills the right motor so they tell you to just make quick taps on the control to turn. The way the manual reads when the motors are off steering then turns a motor on. They say that if the motors cut off or it loses the signal it will land on it's own. They don't mention where.

So I'll definitely change the radio gear, or I might make two planes using a motor and wing for each, or I might......

I haven't actually run it yet, we'll see.

Jimmy
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:18 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
"They don't mention where."

LOL. Let us know where.

I saw them at walmart, still haven't decided if I want to waste
the money. Keep us informed.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:19 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,400 Posts
I have one of these - it is reasonably fast - very responsive - and a blast to fly - I had a crashing contest with Doug the foamie vs. mini flas in the parking lot one night - broke the prop - it's been out of commission ever since as they do not include replacement blades in the package.

It just barely flies at 6000 feet.

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:30 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
How'd the pusher prop break? Flip over?

Hobbico has a bunch of small props you might be able to use as
a replacement.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Is the rest of the plane pretty sturdy?
Old Oct 19, 2002, 11:18 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,400 Posts
Clipped a tree in the parking lot and fliped on it's lid - Thanks for the link I'll check'em out.

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Oct 20, 2002, 06:48 AM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
DNA,

One of their tips on landing is to just turn off the transmitter. Now there's a habit you really want to acquire

It does seem to be pretty sturdy, invariably crash testing will reveal the weak points. The workmanship is less than what I expected. The foam wings have a lot of creases, it appears that the airfoil is rolled or pressed in rather than molded. They are already done in packing tape, but some of that is sloppy as well. It snaps together in just a few minutes though, it's all done with brackets and pins. I'll take some close-up photos to post so everybody can check it out.

Toys R Us has a better deal than Wal-Mart if you decide to get one. In my case the wife left 9 years ago, after 22 years of marriage, to search for a better life. She's had two more husbands since then so apparently she's still looking. And then the last daughter moved out two years ago so I have enough disposable income that I can play some. This second childhood is as much fun as the first, much better toys, and I can buy adult beverages to boot .

Jimmy
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:56 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Jimmy,
Just remember, don't drink and fly. The plane you save may be your own. The problem now is too many toys, and not enough time to play. I don't remember having that problem with my first childhood.
Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Last edited by jeffs555; Oct 20, 2002 at 12:41 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 01:02 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
"just turn off the transmitter"

Actually some of my planes would land better if I DID turn off
the transmitter.

Where's the pics?

What kind of motors do they use? Prop size? etc.?

I may save my pennies for one of these instead. (if they ever get them)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXDGU8&P=7
Last edited by DNA; Nov 16, 2002 at 02:59 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 03:17 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
DNA,
This will probably have the same electronics as the Estes Skyranger, though it does look a lot better. I don't have a Skyranger, but there was a long thread about it in the foamies forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r&pagenumber=1

It is basically an electric FF with a non-proportional rudder control and no motor control. You charge it up and let it go.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Oct 20, 2002, 05:22 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
"You charge it up and let it go."

That's what I do now.

Except for when I turn off the Tx to land.