Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2003, 12:55 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
I am just finishing up my Moth. Nice little kit. I got the non painted version and just think I will leave it white. That wing alignment and tape thing is a real joke. Does any one have a weight on the Moth assembled but with out a battery and electronics but including motor???
Thanks
JEB
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
Old Aug 09, 2003, 02:26 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Jeb, weight without battery should be in the 6 to 6-1/2 ounce range. Mine is 6.3.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 09, 2003, 03:33 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Everyone here from the last thread? Give a holla

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Aug 09, 2003, 05:06 PM
Go for it
Hässelby, Sweden
Joined Jun 2003
401 Posts
Hi guys, keep em light.

Night is setting and the wind is gone.

Hmmmmmmm, flying.

/Terje
teli88 is offline Find More Posts by teli88
Old Aug 09, 2003, 06:43 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
WOAH!!!! Another thread!!!

Well who da thunk it?.....

JEB,
Let us know how she flys. Unpainted will save a lot of weight for you. Are you going to fly it stock? I will say that the landing gear channel, and the wings will both need to be reinforced. LG with CF rod (sliced) and wings with wing wires. But I'm sure you already know that. Are you primarily a heli guy? (I don't have the wallet or nerves for them. ) I know you'll love the Moth. Flying it is the only relaxing thing I get to do lately.

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Aug 09, 2003, 11:04 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
Spent all day Saturday hard at work slaving over a dusty bulding board. Finished the Moth building process at 7:30pm and checked the CG. Flew it in the street under street lamps. A very stable and well balanced airplane. The only battery pac I had was a 120 mah 7 cell nimi. Flew nice for about a minute or so and then ran out of power. Would have helped to charge the battery first! Here are the weights that I came up with:

Basic Plane without battery pac: 190 grams
120 mah 7 cell nimi: 28 grams
Total Flying Weight: 218 grams

The Moth has reinforced wing struts and I used epoxy to construct the wing joints using fillets (epoxy mixed with baby powder). The rest of the plane was built using small amounts of epoxy mixed with baby powder for filler. I did not have any micro ballons. Heat sink on the motor, modified landing gear and dubro light wheels. Lower wing bolts on. Azar base loaded antenna, Dubro quick connectors mounted on the tail. Thats about all I can think of, heres some pics
Old Aug 09, 2003, 11:11 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
One more picture and I forgot to mention that I did re-enforce the landing gear area with golden rod cut in half. I did not have any carbon fiber rod. After doing the epoxy wing fillets and adding balsa to the wing struts the wing is very strong now. I might still add the wing wires though, just for looks if nothing else. Thanks for the reminder on the mods though Corey. These things really are very nice flying planes. Yes I do fly electric helis, gas r/c planes and an occasional full scale. I have to get some lights for this plane, and a larger capacity battery pac and.................$$$
JEB
Old Aug 09, 2003, 11:16 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
Yet another modification I neglected to mention. I left more plastic at the cut lines on the cowl so that when I cemented the cowl together it was 1/2" wider than the fuse. I then used 1/4" balsa blocks to screw the cowl to. This left me with an additional 1/4" at the sides for cooling air to escape around. We shall see.
JEB
Old Aug 09, 2003, 11:38 PM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
hi... well no-one told me I would have this problem with my new Tiger Moth, not quite sure how to fix it or what causes it.

I took my TM up to the strip today for a fly and it went great, after the flight I left it parked in the hangar while I went for a drink.
Tasmania is offline Find More Posts by Tasmania
Old Aug 09, 2003, 11:41 PM
The devils playground
Island of Tasmania
Joined Apr 2003
799 Posts
When I returned 15 mins later........... it was... er...... Well ! see for yourself ??

Taz
Tasmania is offline Find More Posts by Tasmania
Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:46 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tasmania
When I returned 15 mins later........... it was... er...... Well ! see for yourself ??

Taz
OMG! I thought this was a family site!
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:58 AM
Winnipeg Intl, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
662 Posts
Huuuummmmmm .... sort of makes you think of a Toy Poodle and a St. Bernard doesn't it?

Lee
Radioguy is offline Find More Posts by Radioguy
Old Aug 10, 2003, 08:55 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
861 Posts
Tas,
If some one would get those over sized models out of there you might be able to fly in there.
JEB

Who has the lightest Moth. Mine is at 218 grams (7.69 ounces)with battery.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 01:47 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Man, I'm away for ONE NIGHT!!!!! And look at what happens. Great pics guys. I'm saving ALL of those. (To my piddly little 3 gig hard drive. lol)

BPS,
Nice. Really nice. It really does only take a minute to get hooked on the Moth eh. You lucky guy, you get to fly EVERYTHING. I envy that! I'm not sure who has the lightest Moth here. But for the all time record, its either AirWarriorBelgy or Basketcase. One of those guys went all out in weight savings on theirs. I can't really find an exact weight though. (And mine is so overweight I just won't mention. )

Taz,
LOL You left it in the hangar. People there must have loved it. Good thing you had your camera!

Dave,
Thats what you get when your family site is dominated by men with cameras and toys!

Lee,
Come to think of it...... My parents have a very "active" toy poodle. Maybe I'll ask him what he's conquered lately. Ha Ha

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Last edited by The Enemy; Aug 10, 2003 at 01:49 PM.
Closed Thread