HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2003, 09:08 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
IPS (DX-A) is DEAD, What to get!?!?!

Well all you smart guys out there. I need your assistance. Today, it happened. The IPS died. Sputtered a few times, wouldn't produce even enough thrust for my Tiger Moth, and ran hot. (I AM assuming that this spells death eh! I'm new. )

Anyway...

What motor to get? Here's the tricky part. (for me...) It has to run on my 830 Mah QC Li-Ions, and 5 Amp GWS ESC. I do plan on ordering another IPS (motor only) to replace the other motor, but this one has to be at least a step up. I was thinking a GWS 300C, but would this work ok? With which gearing? Too many amps?

As you can probably tell I have very little experience with electronics. So, give me your opinions. What to buy tomorrow?

The Enemy
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2003, 09:33 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
I found the perfect combo for QC830s: 7.3 oz. static thrust at 2.8A, which is about the limit for these cells. Check the 11th message on the first page of this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=130240
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:50 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Dave Hederich,

Thank you for your quick reply! Upon researching this motor, I realized that you are the man to go to!!! You've tested EVERY combination there is! (almost I think)

Anyway, I phoned my LHS today. He said "M-100? I'd need to know a manufacturer to know if I have it....." And he doesn't carry gearboxes seperate from motors. I saw the one thread where they're selling just the motors REAL cheap. IS it a scam? Did anyone ever find out? I kinda have to spend as little as possible, but really want to try this combination you've specified. Where could I order from, which would ship to Canada within a week or so, AND have all the items I need? I'm also going to try in the for sale section and see if anyone has what I'm looking for.

TIA
Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:16 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Corey, there are only a few places that sell the M-100 replacement motor. They are all mail order. No hobby shop carries the M-100. It costs $8, and I think it is worth it because it provides great power for its size and weight, and it also has a reasonably long lifespan if it's not abused. Here are a couple of places where you can mail order it:

http://www.jetsetairplanes.com/html/m100.html

http://www.azarr.com./motors.htm#Brushed%20Motors
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich