HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
How's the testing going? Do we have any more conclusions yet? How about for decals? Could I print out decals on light paper and mod podge them on for protection but low weight?
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:07 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I had an accident yesterday that should give you some idea how the Mod-Podge holds up....

When building wheel pants for my scale Goshawk, I had a spare pair that just weren't the right size, so I put those on my BluBaby instead. They only have one sloppy coat of regular MP on them - no other reinforcement other than the ply mount where it attaches to the strut. I had an axle spin loose on ROG (should have used Loc-tite) and lost the wheel (it rolled about 100ft)... so I knew I would have to crash-land it.

I hit the ground hard enough with the wheel-less pant that it tore off the LG... but there wasn't even a scratch on the foam. Dirt was caked all over the wheel pant - so I know it hit the ground, but it washed right off and there was no damage.

With some sort of substrate like newspaper, packing tissue, or coffee filter material - it would be nearly indestructable.

There are 3 reasons I can think of that someone would want to use MP on their foam, and for each reason I'd use a different strategy:

1. Foam sealer. If you want to spray-paint your foam but don't want the paint to eat the foam, a couple of coats of MP will seal it. A prime-coat, sand, then a finish coat ought to be enough - a third coat just to be sure. This will also waterproof your plane if you have a seaplane.

2. Tensile strength for wings: To reduce flexing, I think I'd cover the wing with MP and newspaper. The big sheet of newspaper, once soaked with glue, dries to a stiff shell that resists flexing. One "prime coat" of MP, then the glue-dipped newspaper, squeegee out the excess glue. Excess glue = excess weight.

3. Impact resistance. For parts that have to take a beating (wheel pants, leading edge, belly landers), I might use something more substantial than just newspaper. I had a thought of putting on a prime coat of glue, then "dabbing" fiberglass into the wet glue so it picks up the fibers. I have a few pieces of left-over batt insulation lying around that would do the trick. Brush it down flat so the fibers embed into the glue. Then, cover that with another substrate (newspaper, coffee filter, used dryer sheets, pantyhose, wrapping tissue, etc).

Don't have fiberglass lying around? Brush your cat or dog and use their fur. Laugh if you will, but animal fur has been used for centuries to reinforce plaster, mortar, and concrete... it's light-weight, has great tensile strength, and because it is hollow, it will soak up the glue for a great bond. Just be sure to remove the hair from the pet before gluing it to your plane.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Mar 17, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:07 PM
Crash Perfectionist
Chesterfield, MI
Joined Dec 2007
150 Posts
warhead- very good little write up. I love that you have didferent technieques for each.

I think im going to try the cat hair thing. my cats need to be brushed all the time. lol so ill have plenty. maybe even sell it........? hmmmmm. lol

-JAY
(HobbySuperFreak)
Hydro-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Hydro-Flyer
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:17 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
Just be sure to remove the hair from the pet before gluing it to your plane.

Now you tell me! For the life of me I could not figure out why my plane would go about 2 feet then fall hard and sprint and hide under some bushes.
AttackingHobo is offline Find More Posts by AttackingHobo
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:03 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
At least it always lands on its feet. Seriously, though... have you ever gotten an errant pet-hair accidentally dried in your glue or a paint-job? It's nearly impossible to dig up, and even if you get it start, you have to yank like heck to get it out. I have two dogs... one is part husky with a thick undercoat that always sheds. I might have to give it a try. Here girl... roll over...
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Mar 17, 2009 at 08:08 PM.