HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:00 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
Question
E-Flite Pro 60a ESC throttle response, similar to CC Phx?

I'm contemplating getting the E-Flite Pro 60a ESC but have a question before I go there...

I currently use CC Phx ESC's exclusively but am intrigued that the Pro line of E-Flite ESC's have a switching BEC built in. About 2 years ago I had purchased an E-Flite ESC to go with my Mini Ultra Stick but when I compared it to the CC Phx 25, I did not like it. The biggest reason was the throttle, I'm not sure if I'm saying this using the correct terminology, wasn't linear. On my CC Phx ESC's, when I move the throttle up a click or two the prop will spin very slowly allowing me to taxi around. On the E-Flite ESC I'd go up a couple clicks, and then maybe a couple clicks more and then it would all of the sudden be at like 25% throttle preventing me from easily taxi'ing around. I was told by a guy at my LHS, he knew what I was talking about and the Pro's were not that way. Can anyone confirm, before I buy one?

Thanks,
Ken
eckcessive is offline Find More Posts by eckcessive
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:13 PM
A&P Diddy
Midlothian, Tx
Joined Oct 2008
402 Posts
I have this exact same ESC and I do find the switch mode bec to be nice as I do not have to have a seperate BEC for the plane. As far as the throttle issue I know what you are talking about as this esc has a tiny bit of that as well. The first click or two of the throttle and you get nothing, one more click and the prop is moving. At this ponit it is barely enough throttle to get the plane rolling, not enough for a taxi but a super slow roll. You would need to throttle up a few more clicks to get the plane anywhere in a timely manner. Of course if you have a really light plane it may move faster than mine when you do get the prop going, the plane mine is on weighs 5lbs.

Hope this anwsers your question.
clonedkorl is online now Find More Posts by clonedkorl
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:42 PM
Athens, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckcessive
I'm contemplating getting the E-Flite Pro 60a ESC but have a question before I go there...

I currently use CC Phx ESC's exclusively but am intrigued that the Pro line of E-Flite ESC's have a switching BEC built in. About 2 years ago I had purchased an E-Flite ESC to go with my Mini Ultra Stick but when I compared it to the CC Phx 25, I did not like it. The biggest reason was the throttle, I'm not sure if I'm saying this using the correct terminology, wasn't linear. On my CC Phx ESC's, when I move the throttle up a click or two the prop will spin very slowly allowing me to taxi around. On the E-Flite ESC I'd go up a couple clicks, and then maybe a couple clicks more and then it would all of the sudden be at like 25% throttle preventing me from easily taxi'ing around. I was told by a guy at my LHS, he knew what I was talking about and the Pro's were not that way. Can anyone confirm, before I buy one?

Thanks,
Ken
Before wasting a lot of money, take a look at the Hobby City Turnigy Plush 60 amp full feature ESC for 43.00. I am currently using 3 of them and I will never buy anything else in the future other than this brand!
ekotil is offline Find More Posts by ekotil