HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:17 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,053 Posts
Discussion
YGE Brushless Controllers

I recently started using A YGE 18 controller in my Maxir helicopter and I'm having good results with it. The latest V3 firmware includes a govenor that seems to work really well. I thought it would be good to create a thread here to share tips and knowlege about how to get the most from these controllers. Heino from YGE kindly gave me permission to post the English instructions here too. Enjoy.

EDIT: Should probably provide a link to the YGE website www.yge.de for more info.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Last edited by mahbouni; Oct 13, 2009 at 05:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:30 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
Been using the smaler YGE ESCs, they are awsome!
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:50 AM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
thanks man, that's what I was waiting for!!!
Flying Dutchy is offline Find More Posts by Flying Dutchy
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:05 AM
member of 400km/h club
Joined Nov 2008
461 Posts
edited
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; Aug 09, 2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:50 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
300 amps on 14s... where would I put that one... cruise missiles come to mind...
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:00 AM
Finland
Joined Jan 2009
3 Posts
YGE 18 and Z-power 5150 in Gaiu EP200 v2 SE

I've been debugging power problems with my Gaui EP200. I was trying to get the YGE 18 ESC to work with the Gaui 4800 kV stock motor but it always rose the low voltage alarm of the ESC. Then I installed an Eagle Tree eLogger and noticed that when starting up the motor the ESC draw a horrible 42A for a short period from the battery which caused the alarm.

I replaced the stock motor with a Z-power 5150 kV and re-ran governor store for the new motor with the logger plugged in and the graphs look very interesting. For the learning process I had trouble to get it spool up first - you need to apply throttle very carefully to get the motor running. After the first spool up the motor starts OK. With the Z-power motor there is no initial power peak like with the stock Gaui. What is interesting is that the learning process seems to take quite some while, I could definitely hear the sound of the motor change during this process but it looks like you could run it even for a longer time. As you can see from the attached graph the current drawn from the battery is in the beginning over 15A but it is dropping. I had the motor running for less than two minutes and the current had not yet stabilized. I wonder how long you should let the ESC learn...

In the second graph I started with a throttle of 10% and increased it in 5% steps up to 70%. The relation between throttle and head RPM seems to be linear however it seems to saturate at some point. I'm running 2S setup, auto-timing, max. P- and I-gains, 16 kHz PWM and auto startup power.
jpietari is offline Find More Posts by jpietari
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:51 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
Been running a YGE 8Amp in a 13Amp setup for a year now, no problem at all, not even hot, logging data shows basic facts that it runns efficient and cuts off correct, not to late as so many other ESCs on the market.
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:53 AM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,053 Posts
I set my cutoff to 3.1V rather than the normal 3.0V per cell.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:50 AM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
I get low voltage alarm in many cases as well on 2s.....
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:58 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
I got low voltage alarm on 3s, turned it off, ruined three LiPos and turned it back on
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:21 AM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
That is nice...

After using the governor store mode with my YGE18/5150 Z-power combo it goes down to 8khz PWM. I understand that manual change of this setting is not allowed with the store mode? What settings do you guys have after using gov. store mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
I got low voltage alarm on 3s, turned it off, ruined three LiPos and turned it back on
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:37 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
I understood the manual that you'll have to re-enter gov store mode after any change to the timing or PWM frequency, because it changes the "effective" kV of the ESC-motor combination.

What I'd do is to set those parameters, turn off the governor, enter gov. store mode and "train" the governor again to the new kV.
When doing so, the I/P constants reset to default, but I didn't notice anything about timing or PWM frequency.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:17 AM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
Yep, that's what I did. But maybe something went wrong. Will try again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
I understood the manual that you'll have to re-enter gov store mode after any change to the timing or PWM frequency, because it changes the "effective" kV of the ESC-motor combination.

What I'd do is to set those parameters, turn off the governor, enter gov. store mode and "train" the governor again to the new kV.
When doing so, the I/P constants reset to default, but I didn't notice anything about timing or PWM frequency.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:32 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
i run a smaller YGE in a shock flyer - but it is very good - great power, runs cool, and above all, it weighs half of what other ESC's weigh

they're not cheap but quality is tops - a test in one of the german model magazines (might have been FMT) listed Kontronik as slighlty more efficient, but YGE as providing the highest power output to the motor for a given set-up
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,453 Posts
some more "YGE" research after reading
http://www.rc-heli.de/board/showthre...t=79558&page=9

- Changing governor store mode sets the PWM frequency back to 8 kHz, but you can then change it (before spinning up in Gov Store mode).
Apparently, a lower PWM frequency is preferred in governor mode (reduces losses).
- The "effective" kV learned in Gov Store matters when powering up the heli in flight mode:
Initially, the PI controller is disabled, and the ESC works as an ordinary non-governed ESC.
At some point, the control loop is turned on.
Now if the programming in gov store doesn't match the actual setup, it is possible that the first thing the PI controller does is go full throttle to meet the target headspeed. Depending on circumstances, this can be quite abrupt.
Last edited by gravityKills; Feb 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM.