HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by AirX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 06:09 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Discussion
The Other Hobby....

Part of the hobby for me because of what I do for work (mechanical designer) is to design my airplanes in CAD. I use two programs, Autodesk AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor. I will start a new model on the thread tonight. The airframe I have chosen to model is the ME P1092/2, my inspiration came from watching a friend who designed his own model of the /25 model. I chose this variant because of the straight thru inlet to outlet.
I will make installment updates as I make progress.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Feb 10, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Eric, I can't wait to see the progress! I will announce my build/blog next week when I decide on an airframe.
krautfed is offline Find More Posts by krautfed
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:12 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Cool, I will be getting things posted on it tonight. I will also ouline what I did to get there at each step.

Eric B.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:16 PM
Noob
Irving Tx
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
Structural Designer myself....
you Modeling them in 3D? or just 2D schematics? Never worked with inventor myself.
if in 3D would love to see the finished product (dwg file)
HDSlopoke is offline Find More Posts by HDSlopoke
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
The first step I take is to develop the 3-view in 2D using AutoCAD. This is done by tracing the 3-view picture after scaling it to the desired size. You can see in attached picture there are colored lines traced over the picture, first is the red lines that divide the airframe into two equal parts. This will help to square up the 3-view as the original is probably a hand drawn picture that does not use good drafting practices ie t-square etc. You can see the differences in the trace over the drawing.

Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Feb 11, 2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: additional text
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:01 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSlopoke
Structural Designer myself....
you Modeling them in 3D? or just 2D schematics? Never worked with inventor myself.
if in 3D would love to see the finished product (dwg file)
Its Inventor all day every day for me, I dont think I can do 2D anymore... Actually the boss gave me a 2D job to set up an installation drawing, since most of the parts were in my Library at work in 3D I did it in Inventor v2009 and export to DWG, He did not realize it started out as a 3D model.

Eric B.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:21 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
To get to Inventor and start a solid model I will need a few 2D traces of the airframe to work with. I "W-blocked" the parts of the 2D drawing to be used next. Just a small step and then we can continue. Both of these views are scaled to the same size and the wing area is set to the same wing area I want for the final model where this one is ~200in^2 for a 50mm-60mm fan.

Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Feb 11, 2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: additional text
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Great start. So you are truely only tracing one side of the drawing and mirroring over the red line? One thing I do while tracing, is I go back and cleanup the drawing's angles, radius, etc. For example, if there's a curve with 3.4986' radius, I change it to 3.5' and make sure tangents are still ok. Do you do this?

Also, I may be getting ahead of myself here, but each red line in 2D represents a plane (geometric plane, not aircraft plane) parallel to the view? So the intersection of the 3 red line planes represents the 0,0,0 coordinate?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:08 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautfed
Great start. So you are truely only tracing one side of the drawing and mirroring over the red line? One thing I do while tracing, is I go back and cleanup the drawing's angles, radius, etc. For example, if there's a curve with 3.4986' radius, I change it to 3.5' and make sure tangents are still ok. Do you do this?

Also, I may be getting ahead of myself here, but each red line in 2D represents a plane (geometric plane, not aircraft plane) parallel to the view? So the intersection of the 3 red line planes represents the 0,0,0 coordinate?
Hi Krautfed,

I do similar things in cleaning the drawing up. I just used red so I could see it on the overlay of the image in AutoCAD. I do bring the nose up to the 0,0,0 point so when imported into Inventor the result is the sketches are easily set to the respective 0,0 points.

Here is the Inventor screens where the dwgs have been added to the respective sketches and then added to the base assembly to make the solid model.

Eric B.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:53 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Definitely interesting. I have the darndest time trying to move everything to 0,0,0 in Inventor, is there an easy way besides my method of drawing a line from 0,0,0, then moving object to endpoint of that line?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:23 AM
Noob
Irving Tx
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
well crap...now i am gonna have to go out and get inventor.....

as for the 2D 3D thing....our(my) industry is starting to do 3d alot more, i myself, have been doing 3d in architectural desktop for 10 years. Now AutoDesk has a new program out called REVIT, witch is a major PITA to learn(and inventor appears to resemble). but is what my industry is leaning toward. But yes...still doing the boring 2D dwgs 80% of the time.

I would imagine i could probably do the same thing in architectural desktop Autocad 2009, but am sure inventor would simplify the process.....will have to give it a try for shts and giggles one evening.

Its also nice to see that there are folks on here using some of the same or similiar programs as myself.....
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:06 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautfed
Definitely interesting. I have the darndest time trying to move everything to 0,0,0 in Inventor, is there an easy way besides my method of drawing a line from 0,0,0, then moving object to endpoint of that line?
If your refering to the the sketches I use in Inventor then yes. I take the sketch in AutoCAD and rectify the 0,0,0 for that instance. To move anything in an open sketch the straight line method works. One thing must be done at the start of any sketch and that is to project the X and Y axis onto the sketch with "Project Geometry" and then your ready to go, this makes a constrained sketch and the lines turn black from the base color.

Eric B.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:10 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Quote:
well crap...now i am gonna have to go out and get inventor.....

as for the 2D 3D thing....our(my) industry is starting to do 3d alot more, i myself, have been doing 3d in architectural desktop for 10 years. Now AutoDesk has a new program out called REVIT, witch is a major PITA to learn(and inventor appears to resemble). but is what my industry is leaning toward. But yes...still doing the boring 2D dwgs 80% of the time.

I would imagine i could probably do the same thing in architectural desktop Autocad 2009, but am sure inventor would simplify the process.....will have to give it a try for shts and giggles one evening.

Its also nice to see that there are folks on here using some of the same or similiar programs as myself.....
One thing Inventor does that I am not aware that ArchD can do is loft between two different sketches. I had an AutoCAD Lisp program to run this procedure but lost it long ago. MechD can loft and it is more like AutoCAD in the way things can be moved arround in a model.

Eric B.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:54 PM
Noob
Irving Tx
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX
One thing Inventor does that I am not aware that ArchD can do is loft between two different sketches. I had an AutoCAD Lisp program to run this procedure but lost it long ago. MechD can loft and it is more like AutoCAD in the way things can be moved arround in a model.

Eric B.
that is correct, autocad doesnt do that. BUT the new Revit does, what ever you do in one window will automatically be done in all the others, and you can have as many windows open as your computer can handle...either way, cool stuff you are working on. Now you just need a machine that cuts styrofoam and can read your models .dxf files.....
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:09 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,506 Posts
Quote:
that is correct, autocad doesnt do that. BUT the new Revit does, what ever you do in one window will automatically be done in all the others, and you can have as many windows open as your computer can handle...either way, cool stuff you are working on. Now you just need a machine that cuts styrofoam and can read your models .dxf files.....
Got one almost...
Program reads DXF but needs a little cleanup to make it work properly. I will make this one step by step on it when ready to.

Eric B.
Closed Thread