HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2009, 06:56 AM
Burnin Kero & Diesel Downunder
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Discussion
Kingtech K80-E Turbine Owners Thread

I have a new toy on the way and I cant wait to see how this one performs...
The Kingtech K80-E rated at 8kg thrust according to manufacturers specifications which should place it in the performance company of the JetCat P-70 and Wren SuperSport.

Just received news from the factory today that my K80-E is on the way so should be able to report back with further thoughts, pictures and opinions of how it performs very soon.

Manufacturers specs below

Cheers- Marty

K80 E Specifications-
Length overall: 255 mm (10 inches)
Diameter: 96 mm (3.78 inches)
Weight: 1350g with starter & mount.
Idle: 48,000 rpm
Max: 145,000 rpm (8kg thrust) @ 15︒C
EGT: 650︒C
Fuel: 5% turbine oil with either Kerosene, Jet A1 or Diesel.
Marty C... is offline Find More Posts by Marty C...
Last edited by Marty C...; Feb 13, 2009 at 03:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:56 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
897 Posts
After years of good turbines being available a new entrant has to offer something special to entice buyers, otherwise they will just buy the established brands like Jetcat, Wren, Jet Central etc.

Unless it's significantly cheaper, significantly more powerful for a given size or uses significantly less fuel why take a risk?

Previous cheap chinese turbines & the bad experiences with them have only made jet flyers more cautious of trying something new & unproven. If it were a $100 46 size engine some may take a chance but with more than a grand at stake it's too big a gamble for me.

Still, some inexperienced modellers may just see dollar signs & buy cheap. You have been flying jets long enough to make an informed judgement, others have not. Good luck! - John.
Boomerang1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Feb 11, 2009, 02:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
John, yes I agree 100% with you and your right of course, so it remains to be seen just how "ANY" manufactures "NEW" turbine performs over the course of time, Iam the first preach to be cautious when looking at purchasing a turbine, especially to new jet flyers. Bottom line is not just the turbine sticker price, but also the longer term ownership related costs! such as service and component affiliated cost.

I will be installing my new K80E onto my Velox and should have it flying at Wangaratta in April, if your their mate come and check it out, I hope to be flying it as much as possible over the Wang weekend.

Cheers- Marty
Last edited by Marty C...; Feb 13, 2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 03:15 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Kingtech launched thier new web site today- http://kingtech-jet.com/

The K80E apparently has been under constent development for 4 years now by Kingtech prior to its release and also has 95% of its parts manufactured in Taiwan. Introductory price- $1750.00 USD...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:29 PM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Dead slow website!

Dave
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:41 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCNC
Dead slow website!

Dave
Hi Dave, Hmmm thats odd? it works fine for me... infact the pages load quite fast! that said I have a nice new iMac and everything runs gobs faster for me now compared to my old Mac G4. Wonder if its a PC related issue? Iam sure they will sort any web site bugs out and get it sorted sooner than later being a newly launched site (yesterday).... hey if they can design there own turbine engine a few web site bugs should be easy enough to sort out I would hope

Heres some You Tube videos of the K80E-

Mirage 2000-5 Combat Flight by Kingtech K-80E (4 min 59 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/user/tony5548
Kingtech K-70X Turbines test fly (4) F-16 TIAIWAN (9 min 0 sec)

Kingtech K-80E JET ENGINE IN TAIWAN (4 min 17 sec)

Cheers- Marty
Last edited by Marty C...; Feb 14, 2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:57 AM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Marty,
Nope not a PC issue. I have broadband and most all other sites load instantly. This one took a long time to load, maybe a half minute for each page.

Kingtech Co. provides customers with full technical support and maintenance matters.

In order to allow customers to enjoy the fun of flying jets, we provide customer service with a lifetime warranty.
(Detailed contents are described in the manual.)

Marty do you actually have the details? How about posting the manual online?

Dave
Old Feb 14, 2009, 08:17 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
That is weird? pages open on the Kingtech site for me near instantly

Dave yes I do have the K80E manual in .pdf file format, its apparently to large to upload here, just tried and it did not work PM me your email address and I will send it to you...

Cheers- Marty
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:57 AM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C...
That is weird? pages open on the Kingtech site for me near instantly

Dave yes I do have the K80E manual in .pdf file format, its apparently to large to upload here, just tried and it did not work PM me your email address and I will send it to you...

Cheers- Marty
Marty,
PM sent
Dave
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:58 AM
Burlington, WA.
Joined May 2007
185 Posts
Page works fine for me too. Could have been a temporary condition or something between your two internet providers.

I do hope that turbine prices come down. The more competition the better. Hopefully this company stays in business and stands behind their product.
michaelrc is offline Find More Posts by michaelrc
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:48 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
897 Posts
Page works fine for me too.

Cost is about 1/3 less than comparable existing engines.

Time will tell. It's interesting that no Japanese company has never officially produced a turbine for sale. Thunder Tiger from Taiwan did produce an engine but it never sold in volume but that was years ago when turbine technology was relatively new. - John.
Boomerang1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:04 AM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Does anyone know the construction material of the combustion chamber? Fuel sticks? Etc?

Marty,
PM my email address to you to view manual details of warranty.

Dave
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:11 AM
Virginia Beach
Joined Mar 2008
29 Posts
The fuel stick are Inconel and the CC is stainless. Apparently they are claiming that the design of the sticks in a "ring" absorb a bunch of heat (whatever that means) and in turn is easier on the chamber.

However, the CC does have a lifetime warranty, so when (not if) it burns up, you're covered.

I know someone who gwtting one for testing; time will tell.
George D is offline Find More Posts by George D
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:52 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
My K80-E arrived yesterday, first impressions are very good indeed! it appears well designed and put together... The only issue if you can call it that is the outer can is slightly discoloured from heat soak when being test run at the factory. This is purely an anodizing of the can issue and all turbines that I have seen that have anodized outer cans are eventually effected in this manner. When I was working with TJT developing those engines a number of years ago we experimented with black, red, gold and blue anodizing combinations and they all were effected the same way, being the rear end is the hottest area its expected the anodising would be most effected in this area. Likely it would not deteriate/fade much more than it already has... I have discussed this already with the factory and they are considerering going ala natural with the cans for esthetics'

Heres a pic I took for size comparison with a Wren Super Sport and Stumax SM110-52 EDF

Hope to get a few bench runs on my K80-E this weekend...

Cheers- Marty
Last edited by Marty C...; Mar 13, 2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:39 AM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Marty,
Any test runs yet? Impressions?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C...
My K80-E arrived yesterday, first impressions are very good indeed! it appears well designed and put together... The only issue if you can call it that is the outer can is slightly discoloured from heat soak when being test run at the factory. This is purely an anodizing of the can issue and all turbines that I have seen that have anodized outer cans are eventually effected in this manner. When I was working with TJT developing those engines a number of years ago we experimented with black, red, gold and blue anodizing compinations and they all were effected the same way, being the rear end is the hottest area its expected the anodising would be most effected in this area. Likely it would not deteriate/fade much more than it already has... I have discussed this already with the factory and they are considerering going ala natural with the cans for esthetics'

Hers a pic I took for size comparison with a Wren Super Sport and Stumax SM110-52 EDF

Hope to get a few bench runs on my K80-E this weekend...

Cheers- Marty