HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:20 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,247 Posts
Harrrumpfff!!! REAL bikes have pedals, not engines! The Wright Brothers built bicycles, NOT motorcycles. It was that upstart Glenn Curtiss who stuck engines on them and messed everything up. Why, even Harley-Davidson built REAL bikes for a while! http://www.dinosaursandrobots.com/20...t-auction.html

Geoff, hiding in bunker wearing flame-retardant suit
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:21 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,922 Posts
Ha! I'll see your Harrumph and and raise you a Dang Nabit!

Well you have to consider that there was more to the pioneers than just the Wrights and Glenn Curtiss. You also have the Farman brothers, who both raced bicycles and motorbikes, I believe that Santos Dumont was into Dirigibles, and motorbikes. Anzani, a designer of pioneering small flight engines, was also a motor cycle enthusiast.
The Voisons also raced cars.

I'd hate to think what level of stagnation would have been forced on other early flyers if the Wrights draconian wing warping patent was made law. As it was, Glenn Curtiss was a few years ahead of the Wrights in engine design, and had started early with amphibious flyers. So I for one say, YAY! for the diversity of designs history has brought..

Looee who has risen to the stinky bait with a cast-iron mouth...
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:37 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,247 Posts
Yeah, well, I know you've built a REAL bicycle or two too! Quite right about the cross-pollination, though. I suspect that the light, truss-type bike frames inspired early aeronautical construction, whereas Curtiss, Anzani, et al inspired light weight, air-cooled aircraft engine design, although the excellent (for its time) Manley-Balzer engine was water-cooled, and purpose built for aircraft.

Geoff, whose son rides a Ducati Disgusting!!!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:51 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,023 Posts
Ever ridden a motor cycle Geoff?
Monza Red is online now Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:19 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
Ever ridden a motor cycle Geoff?
Yep. Don't have a motorcycle endorsement, so it's been only off-road. On-road, I'll stick to REAL bikes (with pedals!)

Of course, you do understand that my original post was a friendly troll. Lots of spin-offs from one kind of machine to another have happened since the Industrial Revolution - and even before. F'rinstance, the Caudrons ran a furniture factory before they got into building aircraft. WOODEN aircraft!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:45 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,023 Posts
We understand Geoff, us Brits are masters of irony!

Please don't feel too upset about your son riding a Ducati. If he rides a Ducati the boy has:

(a) Good Taste
(b) More money than he knows what to do with

Happy Landings

DD
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:24 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
I heard somewhere that if you buy a new Ducati you are supposed to invite your Biker friends over to your garage for Champagne and Cigars.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:37 PM
Joined Jan 2005
725 Posts
I have built and flown model airplanes since 1948. I only owned one motorcycle. A 1959 Honda 250 cc road bike while stationed in Northern Japan in 1963-64. Misawa Air Base about 500 miles North of Tokyo. I could ride a few miles inland an run into Japanese that had never seen Americans. Roads in that area were gravel at best except in towns. A couple photos. Jack
JackHiner is online now Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:04 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Jack that looks to my none japanese bike eye like one of the legendary Honda black bombers, pretty much where the Honda build up all began.

Ive had 60s and seventies BSA's twins and singles and Triumphs, we also had a 650 slimline framed Triton at one time that lived in the spare bedroom, twas very shiny. But this is my uncles current cafe racer pride and joy its a tuned Blackshadow motor.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:29 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
Please don't feel too upset about your son riding a Ducati. If he rides a Ducati the boy has:

(a) Good Taste
(b) More money than he knows what to do with
He would also have, mysteriously and miraculously, more wisdom than his old man.
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:30 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Jack that looks to my none japanese bike eye like one of the legendary Honda black bombers, pretty much where the Honda build up all began.

Ive had 60s and seventies BSA's twins and singles and Triumphs, we also had a 650 slimline framed Triton at one time that lived in the spare bedroom, twas very shiny. But this is my uncles current cafe racer pride and joy its a tuned Blackshadow motor.
I like that........lots.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Apr 22, 2009, 01:39 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,023 Posts
Jack's old Honda would be worth a bit in that condition today.

I saw a slightly later bike on the road the other day, probably a 125 ot 175, 1967 registered, the type with telescopic forks and the twin leading shoe front brake. It looked immacculate.

We're enjoying some lovely Spring weather at the moment in GB and the owner was taking it out for the day.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:51 AM
Joined Jan 2005
725 Posts
The Honda 1959 250 cc road bike needed some work when I bought it. New seat, rear tire, engine re-build and foot pegs replaced. Bike taken apart and any bolts rusted or marked replaced. The engine rebuilt by local japanese fellow. Total cost for getting bike in shape about 30 dollars. A photo of one of the motorcycle/model airplane USAF types I worked with. A Honda 1962 250 cc CL-72 scambler if I remember correctly. That bike and the 305 cc Honda Super Hawk were popular by USAF base members. Jack
Old Apr 22, 2009, 05:36 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,514 Posts
The blue Ford Customline with the white roof is not bad either. We had them here too.
I can't quite make it out, but it could be close to 10 years old in your '60 photographs, and one of the first ones with sidevalve engine.......the next updated one used OHV.

Great old pics............keep 'em coming please.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2005
725 Posts
Rode the motorcycle a lot and flew a lot of R/C when Stationed at Misawa in 1963-64. For R/C I had a CG Falcon and Milt Boone's Charger on single channel with escapments. A scaled down Smog Hog with Reeds. Also a Taurus on Reeds in photo before I attached ailerons. Ron with a scale Bearcat for U/C and Jean with a semi-scale U/C stunt model. Jack