SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2001, 03:26 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Looks cool and I got an "A"

A lot of people have mentioned their other hobbies so I thought this would be appropriate. I tied two talents of mine into one art piece: aerospace composites and design. For my handcrafted furniture class in college I decided to mix the beautiful aesthetic qualities of carbon fiber and wood to create a functional work of art. I liked doing it so much that it has inspired me to do more such work. Check it out and let me know what you think. http://www.hometown.aol.com/troyflyboy/CFTable.html
It is deceiving in many ways. The most deceiving part is the weight of the piece. The table top is a honeycomb core with a carbon skin on top and soft maple veneer on the bottom. The edges are solid. The total weight of the 2ft X 4ft X 16in table is only 8 lbs. When looking at the table top from the bottom it looks like solid maple planks with maple edges. My teacher, who is a wood handcrafting guru, was pretty blown away at the integration of the two materials. The holographic effect of super shiny carbon in sun-light makes people trip out. Making carbon turn out well for aesthetic purposes is a real challenge when on a budget.

[This message has been edited by Troy (edited 06-20-2001).]
Troy is online now Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2001, 06:09 AM
L.L. N.M. U.S.A.
Joined Apr 2001
149 Posts
Troy
Should have gotten A+
Jim Ward is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ward
Old Jun 20, 2001, 06:30 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Very nice!
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jun 20, 2001, 07:22 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,498 Posts
Trot,

Very beautiful & innovative. Makes my veneered chipboard furniture look like, erm well, veneered chipboard!

How many cells, and what's the wing loading?

tim
tim hooper is online now Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jun 21, 2001, 03:40 AM
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the nice compliments. I need to finish up the last supports underneath to make it steadier on its legs. It's pretty cool when my friends come over and say, "Wow, you made that?" I had one girl at school say she'd buy it if it were in a store. I plan to show it in a local gallery open to local artists. How much do you think I should ask for if somebody wants to buy it? $$ $$

[This message has been edited by Troy (edited 06-21-2001).]
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2001, 11:56 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tim hooper:
How many cells, and what's the wing loading?

tim
AAAOOOGAAAA! Off Off Topic comment inside a post on Hooper. One demerit.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 21, 2001, 02:18 PM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
291 Posts
OK, Troy. Who's RX-7 hood did you steal to make that top?

Very nice!!!!!

I'd charge time + materials + 200% (of that) and add some for 'bitchen factor'.
brianchristie is offline Find More Posts by brianchristie
Old Jun 21, 2001, 04:08 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,059 Posts
Very nice job, Troy!

The only class I took this Spring quarter was "Probability and Statistics".

Yuk!
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Jun 21, 2001, 06:11 PM
Richmond,Va. USA
Joined Mar 2000
135 Posts
That is a very fine piece of art!
Only one suggestion. On the next one, make the edge of the top thicker to give the top more mass. I know you will like it better yourself.
As to price, that is a $1500 table for sure, maybe more like $2000.
Keep up the great work. It is good to see young folks using their minds and hands together to kraft works of art.

Have A Ball

Hans
VaVol is offline Find More Posts by VaVol
Old Jun 21, 2001, 07:17 PM
Oakland, ca, usa
Joined Oct 2000
471 Posts
Nice table. Are the missing supports to keep the legs from racking?

How did you machine the slots? Horizontal router, mortising machine, or drill/chisel?
jimbarstow is offline Find More Posts by jimbarstow
Old Jun 22, 2001, 01:34 AM
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VaVol:
That is a very fine piece of art!
Only one suggestion. On the next one, make the edge of the top thicker to give the top more mass. I know you will like it better yourself.
As to price, that is a $1500 table for sure, maybe more like $2000.
Keep up the great work. It is good to see young folks using their minds and hands together to kraft works of art.

Have A Ball

Hans
Now that's more like it! I was thinking around $1500. I also agree with "more mass" on the table top. I assume you mean visually rather than "mass" ie: Lbs. I think a wood skirt around the edge would give it more visual balance with the substantial looking legs. I need to make an end table for a matching living room set.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2001, 01:43 AM
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbarstow:
Nice table. Are the missing supports to keep the legs from racking?

How did you machine the slots? Horizontal router, mortising machine, or drill/chisel?
Exactly. The long legs are too much leverage on those thin carbon rods. There will be carbon struts from each leg going in at angles towards the bottom center of the table top. This way there will still be open space underneath the table with the engineering advantage of triangle support.

Those legs were a nightmare Originally I was going to use a table router and a jig but on the first attempt it slipped a little and my line wasn't perfect enough so I chunked that idea. If the legs weren't double tapered then it would have been easier to use a router and a jig. I thought better to take my time on a slower, more accurate process than rush towards disaster. They were made with a combination of the drill press, scroll saw, and spindle sander with a fence. If I were to do it over again I'd use either a template with the table router or try a milling machine. Those grooves took a lot of mass out and the legs got a lot lighter. They are still plenty strong with those .5" columns on the outside.

[This message has been edited by Troy (edited 06-22-2001).]
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2001, 01:35 PM
Richmond,Va. USA
Joined Mar 2000
135 Posts
Troy,
I sometimes make up some edging in 1/16th steps and apply W/tape. This way I can stand back & judge which size looks best.
Even 1/16th or 1/8th makes a big change.
We have an overarm router in our shop that will do your legs W/ a pattern.
Somewhere I have a set up for mounting a router to a drill press to do the same thing.
It was a compicated deal as I recall.If your interested, I can look it up and send it to you. It may take a while.

Have A Ball

Hans
VaVol is offline Find More Posts by VaVol