HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by wdeighton, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:36 AM
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
Been thinking about the lay up: The intention is to use some of the materials I have to make a reasonably disposable DS funster.

Lay up will be (I think) 125g glass, 200g Carbon, peel ply at the hinges, 1.5mm Balsa, 150g uni directional carbon in the middle and 150g Kevlar, all on a bias except the uni. I want a thick glass layer for any blemishes though I dont intend to make this too pretty. I'll leave out the balsa at spar and servo wells and will have a laminated shear web with vertical balsa and some carbon. Sub spars maybe socked. Spars will be broad as I can get it with room enough for servos but prob. lay in uni directional instead of individual tows. Maybe good for 150mph, enough I think before I turn completely grey!
Tony Fu is offline Find More Posts by Tony Fu
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:19 AM
He who dares ... repairs!
Joined Jun 2005
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fu View Post
Maybe good for 150mph, enough I think before I turn completely grey!
Good for 150 !? With that layup it will be good for 350!
Hobster is online now Find More Posts by Hobster
Old Jan 17, 2010, 05:38 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
814 Posts
new methods on new molds

I have been trying some new methods on some new moulds. This time nose cone and v-tail.

I have been using optimould tooling resin as the base for the strength. The layup is 1.tooling gel coat, 2. 300g choped strand with general purpose polyester resin, 3. 450g choped strand mat with the optimould tooling resin x 5.

Tried some different principles for parting board (used fiber board waxed on and the trailing edge wax to a point on one side and a trench on the other) This should be clear when I open the moulds.
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Jan 17, 2010, 05:39 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Fu View Post
Been thinking about the lay up: The intention is to use some of the materials I have to make a reasonably disposable DS funster.

Lay up will be (I think) 125g glass, 200g Carbon, peel ply at the hinges, 1.5mm Balsa, 150g uni directional carbon in the middle and 150g Kevlar, all on a bias except the uni. I want a thick glass layer for any blemishes though I dont intend to make this too pretty. I'll leave out the balsa at spar and servo wells and will have a laminated shear web with vertical balsa and some carbon. Sub spars maybe socked. Spars will be broad as I can get it with room enough for servos but prob. lay in uni directional instead of individual tows. Maybe good for 150mph, enough I think before I turn completely grey!
Hows it coming along Tony? Any progress.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
Joined Jun 2005
681 Posts
v-tail upper and lower surfaces out of the bag. Hopefully join the two this week.
Lay-up is 25g finishing cloth / 200g carbon / 1/16"balsa / 83g glass. 200g kevlar for hinge. Think this could be quite heavy for a v-tail!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:25 PM
indeskies
Flat Leicester
Joined Jun 2005
89 Posts
Impressive stuff, love the bronze nose cone. Looking forward to seing them for real.
Well done guys.
ian hammerton is offline Find More Posts by ian hammerton
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2005
681 Posts
mould fresh

probably the strongest v-tail ever made... but also one of the heaviest Got to find room somewhere in the nose for an additional 120-150g of lead
Oh well, will manage it somehow, thinking of longer nose. Looking forward to getting this project airborne and grooving
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:10 PM
Joined Jun 2005
681 Posts
Slowly getting there...

Mini Dragon's transformation to 'Black Edition'.

Still to do: nose cone/inner nose cone, finish v-tail including adding some colour, radio install and then ready to kick some 60" butt
Old May 05, 2010, 01:31 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2009
120 Posts
Awesome work guys. I didn't realise I knew such multi-talented people. Like Ian, I can't wait to see these things on the slopes. Ahem, I meant behind the slopes!
Hot Air is offline Find More Posts by Hot Air
Old May 05, 2010, 05:30 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Air View Post
Awesome work guys. I didn't realise I knew such multi-talented people. Like Ian, I can't wait to see these things on the slopes. Ahem, I meant behind the slopes!
This wing will need a hell of a windy day, and when it takes off it is going to rock. I would say the wing is capable of 200 + as for the rest (Fuz, Pilot) well we will see how it goes.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
Looks like ill be using this method to build a solid core mouldie Raptor 2.0 after i build the proto type that is

What layup should i go with First?
Biased layed 3k Carbon or 200g Glass ?

Posted from the Dreamfactory....
Keenan

UK DS Mouldie Scene here i come... (hoping to hit 300 with a big Grin! )
P.s whats the protocol for reinforcing these moulds??? ...
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Jun 2005
681 Posts
Hi Keenan - a typical heavyish wing layup may be (for a hollow-moulded lay-up)

finishing cloth (e.g.50g glass)
Outer cloth (e.g. 200g 3k carbon)
core layer (e.g. 1mm Corematt)
Inner cloth (e.g. 160g glass - 200g-300g 3k carbon)

The Core layer is key. Though usually remove a strip where the spar will be and add loads of carbon, such as tow, there. All the above can be purchased from ecfibreglass or easycomposites

For the mould making I used a layup similar to Wills (in post #48). I also used bundled strips of heavy cardboard to corrugate the fibreglass e.g. 3 layers of chopped strand f/g, followed by card bundles, followed by 3 layers of f/g again - the ridges adds a lot of strength
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
Thanks....
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith