SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2009, 09:13 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Discussion
Bringing back a project from deep freeze.

Dug this project out from storage today, and worked on it. Its a pre-EPP era DAW kit. A Ta-152. Construction stopped for more than 5 years. White foam core I vac-bagged, balsa and ply fuse. Worked on the ailerons, canopy and fuse today. The ailerons now have built in washout. Hopefully, this will make her more forgiving during landings. This was my first try at vac-forming parts. Posted few images to show what I did. Honest impression is, vac-forming, like core cutting and vac-bagging, was easire done than said.
suirendoujin is offline Find More Posts by suirendoujin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2009, 11:48 AM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Cool! Keep the pics coming. Good looking canopy.
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Feb 08, 2009, 05:20 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,035 Posts
just having some fun....
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:11 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Okay, okay, droydx. Yes, the canopy is a BIT tall! But sure does give MY TA152 character, dont it??!!!!! I want to maiden her by mid Arpil, so gotta chug along with construction. If all goes well, I will carve and sand the plug some, and make a more? scale like canopy. For now, thats how she will be. Man!!! Homo slopiens and their sense of HUMOR!
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:38 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
I still have a couple of DAW "woodies" in the garage. Maybe I should pull one out and get to work!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:49 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,035 Posts
I hope you do know I was being silly! I really do love "woodies" and working with balsa. I also got to say that pulling your own canopy is extremely cool.....not many folks have the iniative and talent to do that. Thanks for sharing your project with us fellow builders! Looking forward to your flight report. If I remember, they are solid flying machines.
Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:03 PM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
No, no,no, no, no! I was not offended at all. I also thought the aforementioned similarity to an Agwagon canopy funny. An Agwagon. Imagine that at the slope. A slope tow plane?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:37 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Well, lemme add one more shot. A close up of the mold and roughly trimmed canopy.
Old May 03, 2009, 08:17 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Progress made.

Well, we are currently at the midst of a huge national holiday season right now, the Golden Week. Family obligations kept me home, so got some work done. Glassed and bagged the wing, empennage and the fuse. Not bad for a day's work.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:32 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Today's progress.

The fuse was micro glassed, wing and tail got bagged, canopy was trimmed, so what next???
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:50 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
It is the first day of summer today, right!?

Building hasnt died comepletly, not yet. De-soldered (correct English??) the speaker from the lost model alarm and soldered a pair of extention leads. The speaker was then fabricated into a pseudo super charge intake like thingie. Scrap balsa, ply and mosquito netting were used to make it look like one. Waiting for the putty to dry right now. Almost done with radio installation. decided to add rudder. May not be truly functional during flight, but I know that feeling when my left thumb move the left Tx stick regardless of the presence of rudder. So, better to have one than none at all. Rather than using tape hing, tried silicone hinge for rudder and elevator for teh first time. Yeah there were some trial and errors, but I think I got the hang of it. Now gotta persudae 1/2A Robart hinge to open and close the hatch. A bit more head scratching to do.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:33 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
A bit more work done over the weekend.

Its the rainy season here in Tokyo right now, and painting is the last thing you can do. Well, taking advantage in a brief break in the weather, got some work done. Painted the whole thing silver. And then, added basic panel line detail with thin, 1/32" drafting tape. Was easier done than said. Moved my hand while watching TV, and got it done. Now will add 0.3 mm plastic sheets where real panels would be, prime, sand prime, sand, paint, and let's see how it will come out.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:25 PM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
The pilot has arrived.

He will pilot this plane. Details of the build is up at the scale sailplane forum. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post12867355
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:43 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,776 Posts
Good job on the TA-152.Have you started the heinkel yet.

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie