HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2003, 03:04 PM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
Good third plane?

I posted about this a few months ago but I'm still not 100% sure what to do.

I have a TigerMoth and a Pico Stik. Both fly great and repair easily. I really would like to get into building because it sounds like something I would enjoy. I certainly want my third plane to have ailerons - no question about that. From flying FMS and Realflight alot this winter, they seem really nice to fly. I was looking at the Switchback Sport as my next plane. It has ailerons. It builds easy, flies well, etc. I am still fairly new to R/C. Should I stick with foam for a while? Or make the move to balsa? Building, sanding, glueing, shaping, covering all seem like a nice relaxing thing to do after work when its raining / too windy to fly out. Is it too soon to jump to the Switchback? Or should I go for it, build it and have fun? Thanks !

James Kern
james1787 is offline Find More Posts by james1787
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:38 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
James...

Just an opinion here but...

Go ahead and get the plane you want. The Switchback sounds like an excellent model that can be built to suit your flying style.

Quote:
Building, sanding, glueing, shaping, covering all seem like a nice relaxing thing to do after work when its raining / too windy to fly out
That pretty much clinches it wouldnt you think?? Its not all about flying for lots of modelers. Its about the enjoyment you get from your hobby.

Cass
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:40 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Instead of going with the Switchback how about a Dandy from Mountain Models. You can build it with either the Duskstik wing or the Switchback wing for a Dandy Sport.

The only problem with your plan of a relaxing build is... it will be over too fast. Doug's kits pratically fall together. If you acidentally leave the CA bottle too close to the kit it will probably assemble itelf while you're sleeping.

The covering is a little more work but not difficult.

What we need is for somebody to devlop a covering sleeve, like heatshrink (in appropriate sizes), slip it over the wing or fuse, and shrink it down.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:54 PM
Alexandria, MN
Joined Oct 2002
209 Posts
I asked the same question about 5 months ago and got two replies: SB Sport or Crazy Max. I wanted balsa, so I went with the SB. It's a breeze to build and I was surprised at how EASY it is to fly! I built mine with an IPS A motor like Dreamer's Switchback Lite. This plane really is forgiving and it lands itself. Use your dual rates and you'll stay out of trouble. The stock set-up with the 300 motor and larger batteries will be hotter due to the increased weight, but I think it's just fine for an aileron trainer.

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN
SnoJetter is offline Find More Posts by SnoJetter
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:54 PM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
I had thought about the Dandy, but I think I am sure I want ailerons on this one. If I had decided to build my first plane ever.. it probably would have been the dandy or dustik... but I opted for the pico stik and Moth. Two great choices!

I think I am going to go with the Switchback Sport. It has a little dihedral, ailerons, flies at a good speed for me, etc. I am gonna run my order through tonight, then head to the LHS to get some building supplies (board, sandpaper, etc)

I'll be sure to leave my CA in the closet... heh, I'm liable to find the switchback all put together in the morning! heh. I'll take progress shots when I start building!
Old Mar 14, 2003, 05:25 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I'm not saying the Switchback isn't a good plane. Only posting this because it sounds like you might not be aware of the new Dandy Sport. It does have ailerons and uses the SB Sport wing, so when you're ready you can move up by just getting a SB fuse kit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=98619
Last edited by Basketcase; Mar 14, 2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 06:51 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Ah, beat me to it......
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Mar 14, 2003, 07:04 PM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
Well,
I just got home from work and saw the replies. That does look like a good starter plane for ailerons. I already ordered the Switchback (the last thing I did as I walked out the door) but perhaps I can pickup a dandy sport fuse and have the best of both worlds - or just fly the switchback. Either or...
Old Mar 14, 2003, 07:05 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I need to note that you build the Sport wing for the Dandy different than for the Switchback. The aileron servo goes on top for the Dandy. It wouldn't be trivial to move it down because of the 1/64" ply that holds it.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Mar 14, 2003, 07:07 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
James,

If you want to change your order, email me. We haven't processed it yet.

Doug
doug@mountainmodels.com
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Mar 14, 2003, 09:26 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Oops, sorry for posting incorrect information Doug.

Thanks for the clarification.

BC