HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 10:37 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Discussion
WWAerodrome

WWAerodrome is my personal flying site, made up of a landing strip established on a diagonal in my back yard. It also includes an approach starting over the cul-de-sac at the end of road out front and cutting across the neighbors front yard, flying what is called "the slot". Launches are made off the rear deck (aka control tower), and flights are high up over the trees and over the surrounding houses and streets. Three of the planes in the fleet can and usually do fly at WWAerodrome, the rest at the YCF club field. No complaints from the neighbors as yet, most don't know where the plane(s) are coming from, and at the altitudes flown, they can't hear them. Nothing like a high altitude Moth flight in the early evening, calm airs, sun right at the horizon, nice smooth flying.

Update: For reasons partially agricultural, but mostly for better flying, the Aerodrome has has some "trimming" done to it. More "adjustments" to some of the foliage are planned, but for the most part, the major changes have now been made. The Ember's love it, as will the Pico Tiger Moth. Other micro flyers will be "auditioned" for the newly opened-up surroundings. Additional photo's coming.
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jul 24, 2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,846 Posts
Wow, your yard is really green!!!
Here in Northern California where water is so expensive, most of the area is brown from June to September. Plus, you have a really nice "flying field" looks like fun.

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:36 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Thanks. As the trees grow, the landing strip gets more "challanged". Still, plenty of room for flying the Embers, the Playmate, the UM J-3 Cub, and the Pico Tiger Moth. And yes, we do get a sample of winter, even here in SC. I need to get some skis made for the Moth as well as the micro fleet!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jul 24, 2012 at 08:13 PM.