10,177 Posts
Beautiful!!!
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:12 PM
RCH
Huntington, NY
Joined Nov 2000
92 Posts
Looks great, I like the flying wires. I though of doing that to mine but I was afraid that they would rip into the wing when the landing gear flex. Have you had any trouble with that or did you reinforce the wing in that area?

Roger
RCH is offline Find More Posts by RCH
Old Mar 14, 2003, 02:34 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
I epoxied tiny plastic tubes (such as the ones used to stiffen control rods) into the wing and fuse and ran the wires through them. Seems pretty secure, but then again I haven't flown it yet. Hopefully tomorrow will be the maiden. Any tips for the maiden?
doc-e is online now Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Mar 14, 2003, 02:45 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doc-e
Any tips for the maiden?
No low angle ground attacks
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Mar 14, 2003, 02:58 PM
USA, CA, Orange County
Joined Mar 2002
110 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait to get mine!

-FB
Double Dutch is offline Find More Posts by Double Dutch
Old Mar 14, 2003, 03:11 PM
Bayville, New York
Joined Jun 2001
126 Posts
looks Great!!!
Who is selling these and how's the performance. Was thinking of converting the Dumas kit, but if the works already done.
Cheers,
Brandon
Taniwha314 is offline Find More Posts by Taniwha314
Old Mar 14, 2003, 03:13 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hello do-e. That is one pretty plane! Can you link us to the dealer again as I misplaced the site. When I first saw this kit a couple weeks ago I thought the servos would be visible (As they are attached on the botom of the wing). I see now that the HUGE fuselage engulfs the wing and the servos, etc. are hidden in the belly. I see a GWS wire under your GEE BEE, so I presume you may be using the dual IPS as recommended? Looking forward to your flight report as well!
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Last edited by rob mueller; Mar 14, 2003 at 03:22 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 03:23 PM
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Thanks guys,

The kit is sold by Fantstic Models. Here's the link:

http://www.fan-tasticmodels.com/geebee_order.htm

It's about 28-30" wingspan, 11-12 oz AUW, powered by IPSD twin on a 7-8 cell NiMH pack and spinning a 10x8 GWS prop. I've had a lot of success with this setup - first in my Moths, then in the Rear Bear, and in the Bf109E (see http://www.iona.edu/faculty/livanov/rc.html for pictures). My only reservation is that, while the Rear Bear and the Messerschmidt are slim and streamlines, the GeeBee is quite the chubster, and may generate a lot of drag. It'll be an interesting first flight tomorrow (hopefully). I'll keep you guys posted and may even shoot a video...

BTW, I remember seeing a video of another Ezoner's GeeBee flying nicely in the gym. Do a search, or maybe the guy who posted the video can put it up again...

Doc
Old Mar 14, 2003, 03:42 PM
RCH
Huntington, NY
Joined Nov 2000
92 Posts
Flight tips, not many because the thing flies like it is on rails. First, Keep a little up elevator on take off to keep from flipping over forwards. Not too much though as I have a bad habit of taking off using angle of attack and not enough air speed which makes the few seconds of flight rather exciting. Also be prepared to put in right trim, others have said 4 clicks right but mine needs more than that to fly straight.

Oh yeah, as with any GWS motor, make sure you pin the motor mount to the stick. Last weekend mine came off in flight and let me tell you, having the motor and cowl hanging down does nothing good for the glide slope on that already fat bid. Amazingly, except for a few dings on the cowl it came through unscathed.

Roger
RCH is offline Find More Posts by RCH
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:01 PM
North Bay, CA
Joined Aug 2002
374 Posts
flight tip: Don't try to hand launch! Don't ask me how I know this.
CzechSix is offline Find More Posts by CzechSix
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:10 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Why no hand launch? I have hand launched Don and Jerry's prototpyes a number of times. No sweat. We even hand launched at Toledo last year, since the big field house had Astroturf.

A clean strong straight push into the air and it flies away perfectly.

Nice job on your Gee Bee, doc-e!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 14, 2003, 04:24 PM
North Bay, CA
Joined Aug 2002
374 Posts
I find that a) it's hard to grab because of the wide fuselage and b) it's hard to exit the hand at the right angle and speed. I'm sure more capable flyers than me can pull it off but the one time I tried I ended up wiping the landing gear off and a cracked wing. I'm sure it says more about me than the plane!
CzechSix is offline Find More Posts by CzechSix
Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:51 AM
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Ok. The maiden is complete. Not what I expected but definitely promissing:

The GOOD:
1. Took off from grass in about 10 feet (full throttle - probably half throttle from pavement).

2. Seems fairly stable

3. LOOKS AWESOME in the air!

The BAD:
1. As you guys predicted it tends to wanna turn left - in my case SEVERELY! I trimmed it out all the way to the right, and still had to hold right aileron/rudder throughout the entire flight.

2. The flying wires on one of the wheels did rip out the little plastic tube I ran them through. Not bad, but I have to think of another way of attaching them - maybe use elastic flying wires that would stretch a bit on landings.

All in all it was a short flight - took off, made two circles over the field struggling with the plane wanting to turn left, and landed with no damage except for the the left wheel's flying wires coming off.

Tonight I'll give this bird all the left rudder it wants, and we'll try this again tomorrow. Hopefully, the second time will be more fun!

Doc
Old Mar 16, 2003, 02:23 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,930 Posts
Right and Down Thrust

Great looking Lil Gee Bee!
If you can, try adding noticeable right thrust. You may need to fly with a little right rudder trim all the time when at full throttle. A little down thrust usually helps avoid need to change elevator trim from 1/2 to full throttle. A flatter pitch prop might reduce the torque problems too.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged