SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 05:04 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Discussion
Ember Micro Flyer

Note! Click on the "Comments" section to get the most recent update on Ember activities here at WWAerodrome.

After having seen the Ember fly at SEFF 2008, I decided to try one for myself, so I bought one there on the spot. Since then, Ember (I call my planes by their proper name! ) has flown several times, all outdoors. I haven't sufficient space indoors to fly it there, so I have flown it on those totally calm late afternoon/early evening times. I also installed lights on it. Tried flying in total darkness, but could not stay orientated with the plane. Ember's sibling, Vapor, is enjoying great success as an indoor flyer only, from what I read on the thread(s). I'm happy with Ember, and once we get some calm air again, preferably a bit warmer, I will have Ember out again buzzing the chimney on my house and chasing stray dragon flys. Ember's mentor is Moth, who holds the record altitude flight at my private Aerodrome (1468 ft). So, for the high flying stuff, Moth gets the assignment. For the buzzing the house, trees, and rear deck, Ember gets the nod. They have actually become good friends!
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Nov 13, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2009, 05:18 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
More on Ember

The installation of lights on the Ember was really quite easy. There are these self-contained tiny tubular battery/LED devices, sometimes used for installation on bobbers when fishing at night. I picked up some of these at SEFF 2008 and installed them on Ember. A little Scotch Tape is all that is needed to hold the lights to the wing. I located them as close to the CG as possible to keep the balance in the plane. Ember has no problem lifting off with these two lights, preferring to use the diffuser sleeve to make the lights more visable at a wider angle of view. Moth has yet to get lights, but to keep sibling rivalry at a minimum, Moth will get lights later this Spring.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:11 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Additional Updates - The Ember Fleet

My original Ember, which I refer to as Ember 1, experienced indoor flying last year (10/2008) and came away with some notable battle scars. Still quite flyable, but a main wing replacement was certainly on the schedule. Also, the rudder servo ultimately failed, resulting in a undignified crash onto the roof of the house. Ember 1's flying activities are 80% outdoors.

Knowing the control resolution was much better with the DMS2 compatible transmitters when used with the updated Ember 2 design, I picked up an Ember 2 and the Spektrum DX6i transmitter. Nice combination, and Ember 2 flys ever so much smoother. I took the lights on Ember 1 and installed them on Ember 2. Unfortunately, the self-powered lights had many "flights" on them, making Ember 2 a bit difficult to see in the early evening dusk, after sundown. One night, the plane just disappeared! I was sure it was in a tree somewheres. Looked for three days all around the neighborhood, never found it. So, another Ember 2 was ordered from HH, and the day it arrived, one of my neighbors came to the house to deliver the original Ember 2. Seems like it was found floating in their swimming pool for about 3 days, without any ID, but I am known in the area. So, now I am the proud owner of three (s) Embers. Surprisingly enough, Ember 2, #1 actually flew again, despite it's prolonged dunking in the pool. However, a few weeks later, the receiver started gliching bad, so a new receiver was installed, along with a set of Micro Lights (#2022) from www.tinybritelights.com and Ember 2, #1 is back in action full time. The lights went over so big, a second set was installed on Ember 2, #2. Ember 1 will very likely get a set also.

Embers & Elfis, and one Pico Tiger Moth...all flying at WWAerodrome. What a collection!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac