SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 02, 2009, 12:21 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
The Gods are against me.

Looks like I won't be making it to SMALL this year either.
Besides taking care of my girls, my Sister and her family is coming into town this weekend.

You'll have to wait till next year to see what I was going to bring

Larry

OK, OK, I as planning on bringing these planes, but not all of them got done in time,
RBC F-22
Pushy-Cat/Bullet
Honda Jet
Robbe Tigra
NanoShark
F-14 foam swing-wing
P-180 Avanti
Mini SB-13
Kormorn Canard
AstroBlaster
Tri-Star Canard
Gee Bee Sportster
and about a dozen other planes.
So you should see them next year, if they all survive
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2009, 01:58 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Bummer Larry! I know how much you were looking forward to this year. You have some awesome models in your fleet. Wish I had half as much room in my shop as you do.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Jun 02, 2009, 05:42 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Double Bummer Larry!!

Bring your Sister and her family with you to SMALL. We will miss seeing you and your fleet. What will we do without headless Superman? I managed to find an Avanti this year and Tom has one too so maybe we can plan on an Avanti formation flight next year. I'd really like to see your SB-13. How annoying!

Richard
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Jun 02, 2009, 06:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Larry, I am bummed that you cannot make it....like Richard said, make them come with you!

I am pretty much done building and repairing and after dinner will clean out the van and pack. As some of you know, cleaning out my van is no small task...I am a confirmed clutterbug..

The Windrider BD-5J is done except for canopy paint and trim stripes and is making something over 400 watts... The EAM Dh-88 Comet is almost done..just needs the new cnc vinyl markings and a tiny repair.

Richard and I are going up a day early (leaving Wed AM) and we will be at the field on Thursday most of the day, doing some first flights.

The early weather forcasts are looking great for the weekend...light winds 4-6 mph and partly cloudy skies, high of 83 Friday and 88 on Saturday.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 02, 2009, 09:22 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Thanks Guys
I'll miss you too

Formation P-180s, now your talking

Larry
Old Jun 02, 2009, 10:21 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,922 Posts
Yeah, weather looks really nice! Pat and I will be there mid day on Thu too.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:49 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Tom,
I love the EAM DH88s Can't wait to see it fly.
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
Old Jun 03, 2009, 01:52 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
So what are the 'official' rules regarding SMALL and what can be flown there? I know I've heard .25 sized planes and smaller. But how do you translate that into electrics? I've got a few that fly well on the Eflite 'Power 25' motor, but they are physically close to the same size that a glow powered .40 sized plane would be. So is it a 40 sized, or 25 sized plane? Since electrics are frequently built so much lighter this seems to be a common occurrence in my fleet...
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jun 03, 2009, 01:56 PM
doh!
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
And is the landing fee really 20 bucks? Even for just one day?
Old Jun 03, 2009, 02:26 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
While everyone is welcome, The idea is smaller planes.

A .40 size plane does not seem to fit the spirit of the event no matter what size motor you have on it.

My rule of thumb was 8-9" prop max.
Multi-motor planes are fine and very welcome.

Nobody will tell you to take your plane and go home, but you might feel a bit out of place.

Just my opinion
Larry
Old Jun 03, 2009, 02:35 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m
So what are the 'official' rules regarding SMALL and what can be flown there? I know I've heard .25 sized planes and smaller. But how do you translate that into electrics? I've got a few that fly well on the Eflite 'Power 25' motor, but they are physically close to the same size that a glow powered .40 sized plane would be. So is it a 40 sized, or 25 sized plane? Since electrics are frequently built so much lighter this seems to be a common occurrence in my fleet...
The rule is a .25 powered glow model, or smaller, or equivalent electric. Multi engines are OK. This is why it is called SMALL Steps!

Equivalent electrics have changed a lot over the years. Once upon a time they tried a total watts level that was more like a .10 electric and that was discarded.

I think anything powered by a Power 25 more of less meets the letter of the rule, if not exactly the spirit of the rules, depending on the model. A .40 size Stik model is not exactly what the event is encouraging, even if powered by a Power 25. Some old timer models powered by a glow .25 are fairly large, but are acceptable.

I would say bring the Power 25 models.

I have burned a couple of hours today looking for a couple of lost model parts and have stopped looking and have packed and am headed for Little Rock!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jun 03, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2009, 02:43 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
is my 32oz telefoam ok?
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
Old Jun 03, 2009, 03:26 PM
doh!
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
From the sounds of it - yes!
I've got an Andrew Jesky Extra 330 that I flew last year at the event, it is the main one I was referring to above. It's a wingspan of about 48 inches, but weighs a bit under 3 lbs. A 48" glow engine plane typically weighs around 4.5-6 lbs so this is considerably under that.

I've also got one of the new ExtremeFlight 48" Extra EXP's coming, should be here thursday night and I was thinking of getting it finished to bring out to SMALL. It weighs about 42-45 oz also.
Old Jun 03, 2009, 03:42 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelConnally
is my 32oz telefoam ok?
Make it a multi
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Jun 03, 2009, 05:08 PM
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
Yes Ryan the fee is $20.00 for all three days or just one.
The guidelines are technically a .26 or smaller for R/C or .36 for C/L. As many engines of that size as needed. The best way to think of electric limits is could a .26 glow engine fly the plane. I don't recall any weight restrictions, the AMA call anything 2lbs and under a Park Flyer (if it stays under 60 mph).

Chris
cswee is offline Find More Posts by cswee