Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:38 AM
Joined Oct 2004
198 Posts
The ballot suggestion is the way to go for the awards. In the beginning of SMALL, Emmett and I would decide who got the awards. Each year we would try to spread things around so everybody eventually got one. Added catagories is a good idea. Emmett used to make all the awards as he sat and drank beer. That is why they consisted of tiny planes cut out of beer cans. Certificates used to be given out to all that signed up to fly. These were all signed by Randy and Joe and were looked upon as a keepsake by some.
I also like the idea of promoting more unique designs and experimentation. I know that's what I enjoy.
Thanks for the offer of help. Dale does a tremendous amount of work that goes unnoticed.
If we all pitch in the 20th year celebration should be a good one.
Thanks,
Steve Staples
LittleRock is online now Find More Posts by LittleRock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:22 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
591 Posts
TEE-BEE " Where are You ?"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067122
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:50 AM
Muncie,IN 47304 USA
Joined Dec 2003
760 Posts
Dakota

saw TOMs DAKOTA at Small...

so I am doing one for RC and FF

see:

http://web2.airmail.net/sfrank69/DAKOTA/
Dr. Sandy Frank is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Sandy Frank
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
Joined Oct 2004
198 Posts
That is well and good Sandy but are you coming to SMALL in 2010???

Steve Staples
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:37 AM
Muncie,IN 47304 USA
Joined Dec 2003
760 Posts
Muncie IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRock
That is well and good Sandy but are you coming to SMALL in 2010???

Steve Staples
I have retired and relocated to Muncie,IN

to be near lots of stuff... at AMA

will be doing one soon...

see these files::

http://web2.airmail.net/sfrank69/NEFI/

I was in a misshap 10.1,2007

and do not ( can not ) get out much..

have sold off all of my TEXAS interests because of the misshap

but after 2 years am modeling again..

also have sold off 250 gas and glow models and 72 mc stuff

am an Eflier now on 2.4 stuff....

may visit LR again some day...
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:08 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Sandy,

I am very glad to hear that you are back to building. Hopefully, with time, you will be able to travel again.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:04 PM
Muncie,IN 47304 USA
Joined Dec 2003
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
Sandy,

I am very glad to hear that you are back to building. Hopefully, with time, you will be able to travel again.

Jerry

no gory details but it WAS BAD !!!

happy to be flying some too............
Last edited by Dr. Sandy Frank; Jun 19, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:24 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,540 Posts
After 'discussions' with Steve and Frank Fanelli I will be writing up an article for FM for SMALL 2009. Richard is sending me some photos. I do need some for the indoor guys too. Send me an email if you have some to contribute, or CD mailed (address is on my web site).

Typical for AMA is that no maidens are done during an event. I'd be interested in an award for the best maiden (or most unusual maiden ?).

Or, how about something like airplanes made during the weekend? (Yes, inspired by my building of the WASP, thanks again for the maiden Tom, and you Ken for the giant scale soldering). Something a bit simpler. No covering needed. Something that could be modified during a build. Hand out the kits when folks arrive and have a mass flight Sat evening or Sun morning. Give out plane specs prior so folks can get radio gear. Or, a similar FF thing (that could be made a contest flight too)?

Just for the record, I loved that Pterydactyl (?).

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:09 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,463 Posts
We could have an award for best maiden made at the SMALL field before or after actual event hours....

I actually did six off hours maidens of my own models at SMALL, being careful not to break good old rule 4. Plus, I bet I did 4-5 more for other off-hours flyers.

I like the idea of building something at SMALL....except for that pesky rule 4.

I remember a cool event they used to hold at Torrey Pines. There would be a group or teams set up. The event folks would give each team a pile of balsa scrap and some balsa 2x4 blocks. Each team would bring adhesives, tape, pushrods, control horns and a set of old standard size radio stuff.

The starting bell would ring, and each team would start building a slope model out of the odds and ends. First one to finish a figure 8 lap on the slope with a model won one part and the group with the coolest original model that flew by 5PM won another part.

Must not have been AMA sanctioned...

Something like that for SMALL would be fun.....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 21, 2009, 08:49 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,540 Posts
Tom,

I like that idea too. These days we could use depron with a couple of carbon rods/tubes and piece of ply for motor mount.

Have something like a 1 meter box rule.

We could do the flying after 4pm The winner's could be the target for the paintball gun

charlie
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:36 AM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
A few more pictures to add. Apologies to the unknown airplane owners but I didn't take the photos and no details came with them.
I like the idea of a 'built at the event' award.

Chris
cswee is offline Find More Posts by cswee
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:01 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,514 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Rule #4 was written when the president had a flat top and glow power was new.
Don't get me wrong, rule #4 is a good one. That's why it's #4.
There were boxes of models that would be damaged if they hit a person there.
Mike C. flew models so slow if they hit your back you might reply with "pardon me"

The 52 pound, turbo prop, 3D demonstration that was performed at SEFF last year in front of 1800 spectators was a thousand times more dangerous than everything combined at small this year.
My point:
I don't do test flights at events however, the only thing better than doing a test flight is watching one.
I'm willing to look the other way when the model is a "small" threat. (I know Bad pun )

And if you want to be critical about it, adding more expo to a model or installing a larger battery then giving it a try is a test flight.
That is done at every event.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:11 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswee
A few more pictures to add. Apologies to the unknown airplane owners but I didn't take the photos and no details came with them.
I like the idea of a 'built at the event' award.

Chris
Hey Ken, why were you frowning?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:21 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
I wouldn't be surprised if Rule #4 was written when the president had a flat top and glow power was new.
Don't get me wrong, rule #4 is a good one. That's why it's #4.
...snip...
And if you want to be critical about it, adding more expo to a model or installing a larger battery then giving it a try is a test flight.
That is done at every event.
I agree. Heck, most of those darn FF guys were more dangerous than the 'guided' projectiles.

But, Mike nailing the shed made a couple people wet their pants

As long as the 'maidens' are performed as an 'announced' event don't think it will be a problem. If someone has an objection we can do the flights after 4pm on Sat. Then have the awards at 5, supper at 6, more flying at 7, drinks at the hotel after dark

We can mix this up year to year. One year a set of precut parts. Another year a blank sheet of depron another year a box of balsa (we have a lot of scrap we could bring). We could spec the motor one year, battery the next, etc, etc. Have a load carrying one year, pylon race, combat, etc.

charlie
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:59 PM
Joined Oct 2004
198 Posts
Every flight on the planes I have is a maiden flight !!!

Steve