SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:46 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
xairflyer,

Just to remind you that your thread and postings are being watched attentively .

Beautiful craftsmanship.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:27 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Looking about how it should really.. I bet Bleriot would have killed for hex head bolts tho ;-)
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:24 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Looking about how it should really.. I bet Bleriot would have killed for hex head bolts tho ;-)
Yes I am not sure what is origonal, there is a quite few hex head bolts used at the front and Princes instructions of the early 1900's on building the fullsize, does refer to them so dont really know.

My Bleriot is a copy of the Old Warden machine as it is today, so will have whatever it has, which suits in many areas, as it has just been recovered so my new fabric wont look out of place or require too much wethering!

When we went to see it, it was in the middle of restoration and talking to Andy while we were there he mention that it has had many changes over the years and he intended to get it back as origional as possible.

I got an email from Andy recently and they have done away with the tailwheel steering that was added in the 80's and it now just castors as it was origionally intended, which saves me making up the cables and horns
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:57 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,099 Posts
Got these on ebay they are 14", will add an extra spoke in between each one to make them like the origonal.

Would like to change the tyre, so on the look out for some large diameter 'O' rings if anyone knows where they can be found.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 05:46 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Why not go with the real thing?

http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/c-10-14.aspx

14" kids bike tyres are not that hard to find.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:21 AM
Joined Mar 2006
927 Posts
I'll be watching your excellent craftsmanship, and will be there in spirit for the maiden flight. Shoot lots of video of flight prep as well as flight.
Will Rock is offline Find More Posts by Will Rock
Old May 02, 2009, 07:56 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,099 Posts
Anyone know where I can get long 3mm or 6ba hex head bolts, need to be about 2" (50mm)
Old May 02, 2009, 10:09 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer
Anyone know where I can get long 3mm or 6ba hex head bolts, need to be about 2" (50mm)
Hi xairflyer,

I buy a fair amount of nuts and bolts at a local store that just happens to be doing business under the name "Nuts & Bolts".

Most of the purchases I make is for the vehicle maintenance garage and many are metric. They are the only source of very small fasteners smaller than #4 screws and bolts around here. I got 2-56 screws and bolts, nuts and washers there for my models.

I can go there Monday or Tuesday and see if I could buy your needs and ship them to you.

Send me a PM listing all your requirements. There is nothing to loose .

Some consideration _ _ _ _ if metric is not available that small
3 mm is 0.1181102 inch
1/8 is 0.12500
So 1/8 is bigger than 3 mm by 0.0068898 inch (0.175 mm)
Perhaps, worst comes the worst, you could use 1/8 fasteners.

Will wait for your response.

Zor
Old May 02, 2009, 05:03 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Unobtanium mate! They give out at about an inch, mostly.

studding and a brazed on nut?
Turn your own from hex stock?
Old May 02, 2009, 07:53 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
xairflyer,

vintage1 idea is very good.

I have considered that perhaps the hexagonal specified could be to use allen keys in the heads.

Only trying to help.

The 2.5 inch long has Robertson head.
For those not familiar, a Robertson head has a recessed square in the head.

The black 1.5 inch screw has a hexagonal recess to use Allen keys or six sided screwdrivers.

Just happen to be some screws I used here and bought at Nuts & Bolts.

Zor
Old May 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,099 Posts
Sorry guys for not replying, for some reason I never got any notifications of the last three posts and even though I have been working away I never had any picture etc worth posting, so hav'nt been on the thread for a couple of weeks !

Thanks alot Zor for the offer, may come back to you on that. Had thought about the hex stock idea as a guy on ebay sells it in brass and for the longer bolts I really only need to thread the last 10mm, so should be easy enough to make.
Tend to be making everything for this bird and would like to save a bit of time by buying things like this but its all good fun
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
4 Posts
Have you finished you BleriotXI 1/2 scale?I haven't seed any upsates on forum. I wanted to start one soon. Mark
flyin farmer is offline Find More Posts by flyin farmer
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin farmer
Have you finished you BleriotXI 1/2 scale?I haven't seed any upsates on forum. I wanted to start one soon. Mark
No still working on it, hav'nt posted anything recently as the progress has been slow for the past month, been gathering up more stuff and making the odd bit, too much good weather and out flying most evenings so not getting much time on it as I would like.

Just picked up some nice ash for my front suspension cross bars (bed stead) so back carving again
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:17 AM
Joined Jun 2009
4 Posts
1/2 scale Bleriot XI

Thanks for the reply. I am building a 1/5 scale right now, and plan on building a 1/2 scale this winter. Therefore I am very interested in watching your progress. Did you plan on going to the 100 year anniversary of Bleriot's channel crossing in Dover this July? I farm in Indiana, USA and won't be able to make it. Mark mhall@hall-farms.com
flyin farmer is offline Find More Posts by flyin farmer
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:56 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin farmer
Thanks for the reply. I am building a 1/5 scale right now, and plan on building a 1/2 scale this winter. Therefore I am very interested in watching your progress. Did you plan on going to the 100 year anniversary of Bleriot's channel crossing in Dover this July? I farm in Indiana, USA and won't be able to make it. Mark mhall@hall-farms.com
Yes I hope to go to Dover, had planned on taking it with me but not relistic at this stage now