Old Oct 05, 2010, 12:10 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
[QUOTE=JoeR;16217526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Me too, plus I still use 72 mhz some. I have the Spektrum DM8, Spectra 2.4 and 72mhz modules for my Optic 6 that does ok but I would like to upgrade to the Aurora.

I know the 72 mhz module is soon to come out for Aurora but does anyone know if there are any plans to be able get a Spektrum module to fit the Aurora? QUOTE]

That would be a question for the Spektrum people. I hope they do because I have a few of the micro aircraft and would rather use my Aurora to fly them.
...that is a question to go ask Spektrum. I can't imagine Hitec will be making a module to use the gear from a different brand any time soon. With the PPM stream available from a pin on the back of the radio, it wouldn't be hard to connect a PPM based Spektrum module (like the module Spektrum made for Futaba radios).

...in fact, I may do just this so I can fly my micro-4Site with the A9 also
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 01:04 PM
USA, TX, Coppell
Joined Nov 2009
37 Posts
Smoked my Aurora 9

I'm not sure how to post. If I'm doing it wrong apologies in advance.
I've been watching this thread for many months. Went out and got myself a Aurora 9, love it. Except the battery. I waited for about a month of charge cycling, and the battery never got to hold a charge for more than one trip to the field. So, I got a lipo, worked great. Went 4 or 5 times to the field between charges.
Until today. Charged up the lipo (outside the transmitter), went to plug it in and I think I may have done it upside down. Dang. It let the smoke out .
Is this even worth sending back to have work done on it? Probably needs a new main board. Should I just go and buy a new one?
I'm so bummed out

-thedood
thedood is offline Find More Posts by thedood
Old Oct 05, 2010, 01:33 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I've been watching this thread for many months. Went out and got myself a Aurora 9, love it. Except the battery. I waited for about a month of charge cycling, and the battery never got to hold a charge for more than one trip to the field. So, I got a lipo, worked great. Went 4 or 5 times to the field between charges.
Until today. Charged up the lipo (outside the transmitter), went to plug it in and I think I may have done it upside down. Dang. It let the smoke out .
Is this even worth sending back to have work done on it? Probably needs a new main board. Should I just go and buy a new one?
I'm so bummed out

-thedood
I'll bet it's cheaper to get it repaired. I would send it back and let them look at before you buy a new A9. Next time use a polarized connector so you cannot plug it in backwards.
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Oct 05, 2010, 01:37 PM
USA, TX, Coppell
Joined Nov 2009
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
I'll bet it's cheaper to get it repaired. I would send it back and let them look at before you buy a new A9. Next time use a polarized connector so you cannot plug it in backwards.
Funny thing is the connector IS polarized. I didn't get it plugged in. It's that square
plug with the raised slots on it. The contacts must be very near the end, because since the
rails didn't line up, I had to flip it over. That was too late, damage was already done.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:33 PM
Fus ro dah!
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCalvo View Post
I need your help with the HPP-22 software. I changed the locale settings to English (United States) in the "Regional and Language Options" in the control panel. Then I installed the HPP-22 software v1.03.
When I try to open the program, I have the following error:

"Failed to load control winsock from MSWINSCK.OCX. Your version of MSWINSCK.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application"

and the program exits. There is nothing I can do to open the program (at least, anything I know).

Mike et all, can you help me to know what's going on? Am I doing anything wrong?

By the way I'm using Windows XP Professional. Thank you very much.
Curiously, I'm getting the same error after installing 1.04 (but not before uninstalling the old version). Did you figure out what the issue was?
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:36 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,696 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure how to post. If I'm doing it wrong apologies in advance. I've been watching this thread for many months. Went out and got myself a Aurora 9, love it. Except the battery. I waited for about a month of charge cycling, and the battery never got to hold a charge for more than one trip to the field. So, I got a lipo, worked great. Went 4 or 5 times to the field between charges. Until today. Charged up the lipo (outside the transmitter), went to plug it in and I think I may have done it upside down. Dang. It let the smoke out . Is this even worth sending back to have work done on it? Probably needs a new main board. Should I just go and buy a new one? I'm so bummed out -thedood
A rare but usually relatively small cost repair.
Please refer to Hitec Warranty & Service.
Damage/parts required may differ from TX to TX, so costs are usually advised before any charge is incurred,.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:46 PM
Pants on the ground
exit 26 Jersey
Joined Jul 2007
6,210 Posts
[QUOTE=theKM;16217749]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post

...that is a question to go ask Spektrum. I can't imagine Hitec will be making a module to use the gear from a different brand any time soon. With the PPM stream available from a pin on the back of the radio, it wouldn't be hard to connect a PPM based Spektrum module (like the module Spektrum made for Futaba radios).

...in fact, I may do just this so I can fly my micro-4Site with the A9 also
Let me know if it works, I've been holding on to me JR 9503 for all my bind n fly stuff, I would gladly sell it if one of the off the shelf spektrum modules work with the A9
xsubsailor is offline Find More Posts by xsubsailor
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCalvo View Post
I need your help with the HPP-22 software. I changed the locale settings to English (United States) in the "Regional and Language Options" in the control panel. Then I installed the HPP-22 software v1.03. When I try to open the program, I have the following error:
"Failed to load control winsock from MSWINSCK.OCX. Your version of MSWINSCK.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application" and the program exits. There is nothing I can do to open the program (at least, anything I know).
Mike et all, can you help me to know what's going on? Am I doing anything wrong? By the way I'm using Windows XP Professional. Thank you very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Curiously, I'm getting the same error after installing 1.04 (but not before uninstalling the old version). Did you figure out what the issue was?
Aurora A9 - Firmware Update V1.07(1) & HPP-22 V1.04 - 01Oct10.
(inc PDF update enhancements, inc set failsafe via HPP-22 & how uninstall V1.03 before new install.)

Using WinXP Pro on Desktop and WinXP Home on a Laptop, no problems encountered.
how to solve MSWINSCK.OCX problem may assist.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 03:49 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,533 Posts
Quote:
I'm so bummed out

-thedood
I am guessing you somehow got the battery polarity backwards and smoked a diode inside which is there to protect this very thing. I did this on a Hitec Optic 6. I sent it to Hitec and they fixed it for under $25 and had it back to me very quickly. Your situation may be different but I would ship it to Hitec for a repair estimate.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 05, 2010, 04:54 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
I'm so bummed out

-thedood
Send it back, it will be cheaper.... Replying before I have read other responses, but I know from a buddy and his optic that it is cheaper to send it back.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:04 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
Quote:
I'm so bummed out

-thedood
Its too late to help now........But if I were to use a lipo for my tx I would cut the wire and connector off the stock battery pack and use a deans connector on the end that goes to the lipo. Use the stock connector into the tx with a male deans on the other end of the wires coming off the tx. Then you can plug any lipo pack you have on hand that fits inside the tx.
It would also make it hard to short anything.
Sorry about your misfortune...........one good A9 bites the dust.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:12 PM
USA, TX, Coppell
Joined Nov 2009
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2444 View Post
Its too late to help now........But if I were to use a lipo for my tx I would cut the wire and connector off the stock battery pack and use a deans connector on the end that goes to the lipo. Use the stock connector into the tx with a male deans on the other end of the wires coming off the tx. Then you can plug any lipo pack you have on hand that fits inside the tx.
Thanks! I'll do that on the next one. That connector that is on it is keyed, but, apparently, it doesn't really do the trick. Especially for me, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I simple tried pushing (the braille method). I knew it would only go on one way. I didn't know it would go on enough the wrong way ! Lessons are always expensive :-) I'm filling out the paperwork to send it back now. I'll post how it turns out, if it's worth repairing or whatever. I hate to dig out my old dx7...change radios...reset up...arrgghh...
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:16 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2444 View Post
This is the very first thing I did to my A9. I pulled the stock pack, and cut the leads off, installed a deans and have always flown on a 2S lipo pack. It is a great way to prevent getting the polarity wrong.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:32 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
I'm going to use an XT60 plug, since Turnigy/Zippy Flightmax 2200mah 20C Lipo's, come with them already fitted, for $8.79.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Oct 05, 2010, 08:40 PM
SF Bay Area, California
Joined Apr 2010
17 Posts
This is what I did. Hope this helps. I used deans since I have it lying around. Perfect fit. This is a 2200Mah battery. Also I did not want to keep unplugging the white connector, eventually that will wear out.
dxflyer is offline Find More Posts by dxflyer