HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:02 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
675 Posts
I would like to purchase the Aurora 9 but I want to move into 2.4ghz slowly. I have much on 72mhz right now.

I was hoping to purchase the A9 with 2.4ghz and also purchase separately the 72mhz transmitter module.

Is there an ETA when the 72mhz transmitter module will be available as a separate purchase?

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:10 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,421 Posts
Tried an experiment this am. There was speculation in another thread that there might be microstrip antennas on the pcb. Also it was stated that the second antenna on the 9ch was there for comfort. Remember the little pull out antennas on your cell phone? Nothing more than plastic rod to make you think you were improving reception.
Removed the antenna on a 7ch. Set up on a table with a wing from my Yak so I could see something move from a distance.
Lost signal after 34 paces. Got flaky at about 30 paces if I put my body between the xmitter and rcvr.
Replaced the antenna and redid the test. This time I got 215 paces. At about 200 paces it got flaky with my body between antennas.
In both cases I had telemetry up to the point I lost control. Really couldn't see the wing when I got out that far, but knew I was moving the surface as the rcvr voltage fluctuated.
As with most anecdotal reports, make your own conclusions.
I may try flying my foamy with the antenna removed and see how far out I can get.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:11 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,012 Posts
I am still thinking if there is any evidence that there is absolutely no PPM output while a 2.4GHz module is pluged in Aurora...
Because there should be PPM in the trainer port, if someone want to use Aurora as a student unit in a teacher - student case. Or, if this is true... who stop you to use Aurora as a student radio, and use for transmission a standard FM radio, or an old style RF module, connected at the end of a trainer cable?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:16 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,012 Posts
If you opened the receiver, you may have a look for a secondary antenna plug, maybe it is there anf just not fitted
Also, you may eperiment with a plain coax cable antenna, without any ORDA, you can get such cable fitted a good plug from any laptop, it is used for wireless LAN antenna, and is much lighter than the Optima antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed View Post
Tried an experiment this am. There was speculation in another thread that there might be microstrip antennas on the pcb. Also it was stated that the second antenna on the 9ch was there for comfort. Remember the little pull out antennas on your cell phone? Nothing more than plastic rod to make you think you were improving reception.
Removed the antenna on a 7ch. Set up on a table with a wing from my Yak so I could see something move from a distance.
Lost signal after 34 paces. Got flaky at about 30 paces if I put my body between the xmitter and rcvr.
Replaced the antenna and redid the test. This time I got 215 paces. At about 200 paces it got flaky with my body between antennas.
In both cases I had telemetry up to the point I lost control. Really couldn't see the wing when I got out that far, but knew I was moving the surface as the rcvr voltage fluctuated.
As with most anecdotal reports, make your own conclusions.
I may try flying my foamy with the antenna removed and see how far out I can get.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
I would like to purchase the Aurora 9 but I want to move into 2.4ghz slowly. I have much on 72mhz right now.

I was hoping to purchase the A9 with 2.4ghz and also purchase separately the 72mhz transmitter module.

Is there an ETA when the 72mhz transmitter module will be available as a separate purchase?

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Unfortunatley we found out yesterday that some of the parts needed to build it have been discontinued so they have to re-work the circuit. This will delay the delivery of the Spectra PRO 72mhz module to at least Feb '10.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:05 PM
F3P, Slap, IMAC, Helis
Joined Jun 2007
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post

Radian
www.phflyers.com
What you could do is get a A9 and slowly switch everything over to 2.4 and keep your 72mhz radio and still use that till you get everything switched over.

Forrest
Bubba Gump is online now Find More Posts by Bubba Gump
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:22 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Is the coupon that comes with the Aurora 9 / 7RX combo for another 7 RX or can it be put towards a 9 RX when available?
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:32 PM
Renaud Ecalle Wannabe
Idaho
Joined Oct 2003
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat220 View Post
Is the coupon that comes with the Aurora 9 / 7RX combo for another 7 RX or can it be put towards a 9 RX when available?
I would like to know this as well.
spit is offline Find More Posts by spit
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,172 Posts
Sorry no, the coupon is only for the 7Ch RX's only.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:07 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,669 Posts
Is the coupon good for us Canadians too or is this just an American thing?

Colin.
wollins is online now Find More Posts by wollins
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:11 PM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Is the coupon good for us Canadians too or is this just an American thing?

Colin.
It's good for us also.
Synth is offline Find More Posts by Synth
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:14 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,669 Posts
Excellent! And just so I'm absolutely clear, Synth ... you received a coupon for a free 7 channel PLUS another coupon for another (third rec) rec for $40?

Colin.
wollins is online now Find More Posts by wollins
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:18 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,421 Posts
[quote=kgfly;13542772]

Due to its size and weight, mounting of the BODA antenna is slightly less convenient on small models than the Spektrum solution IMO and I expect we will hear more stories about the "antenna was flopping around" as we have already see above. I do not think that properly and securely mounting the BODA antenna is hard, but will take extra care.]

Spectrum ar7000=16g
Optima 7=16g

Spectrum satellite rcvr=4g
Optima BODA=4g

Looks like a toss up to me.
I mentioned that I had a BODA flopping around due to a poor job of mounting. Picked up a used piece of sticky back Velcro off the bench rather than cutting a new one. Just lazy. Not so sticky. Re-mounted correctly. No more problems.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Excellent! And just so I'm absolutely clear, Synth ... you received a coupon for a free 7 channel PLUS another coupon for another (third rec) rec for $40?

Colin.

it's the same coupon. You check a box and provide your credit card info if you want the one for $40.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:50 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
Sorry no, the coupon is only for the 7Ch RX's only.

Mike.
So If I buy the Aurora 9 / 9 channel RX combo in December, it should come with a coupon for a free 7 ch RX and an option to buy another 7ch RX for $40? If so, sounds like the deal! That should take care of my 3DHS 89" Slick, my 51" Slick and some plane-to-be-named-later? Sweet! Mike can you verify that I understand this correctly?

Thanks,
Jim
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220