SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:21 PM
sportflyer
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2004
355 Posts
Aurora 9 Antenna cable

I am thinking of purchasing athe Aurora 9 TX but a bit hesitant because of the antenna cord between the RF TX module and the antenna. Are you folks having any problems with this RF cable being snagged during transportation , storage or even in use? I wish there is an integrated version of this radio
sportflyer is offline Find More Posts by sportflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
I felt that way for months before I bought it, and used it for 3 months: I have yet to snag anything or find the cable an issue, though I do take the radio to the field in a case.

Subjectively (for me), it has turned out to be a non-issue.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:29 PM
sloper dude
L'Étoile du Nord
Joined Jan 2005
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
I am thinking of purchasing athe Aurora 9 TX but a bit hesitant because of the antenna cord between the RF TX module and the antenna. Are you folks having any problems with this RF cable being snagged during transportation , storage or even in use? I wish there is an integrated version of this radio
You can swivel the antenna so it takes up the slack when you're not using it, but even though I agree that having an external antenna cable was a poor idea on Hitec's part (why not just use another module pin for this?? These are entirely new modules anyway,) and the rubber piece that pushes the antenna wire downward broke on mine after only about a month from setting the radio down on it's back, I'd buy an Aurora 9 all over again. The programming flexibility is great, and they are continuing to improve it with every new update. There are instructions for how to mount the wire internally, if you don't intend to switch between 2.4GHz and 72MHz.

Be sure to buy a HPP-22 programming module with the TX--you'll need it to upgrade the radio, module and receivers, as well as for downloading/uploading programs to and from others, and storing model information for effectively infinite model memory.
Jeffrito is offline Find More Posts by Jeffrito
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:33 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Mike Mayberry..What do ya think?This was at the Extreme Flight All Up Huck his weekend at hodges hobbies in Andersonville,Ga.We had a blast!!Put the bling on yesterday aft..
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2005
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McGill View Post
Mike Mayberry, any word on if that tx tray you asked our opinion on will become available and approximately when? Want to know if I can hold off to buy one, or if I should build one during winter.
I would like to know this too. So far, the HiTec tray appeals me more than any other aftermarket product...
OneDayFly is offline Find More Posts by OneDayFly
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:57 PM
SAM Elec GrdChmp04,07,10,12,14
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,080 Posts
On the Transmitter antenna cable.
I've had mine since March and have used it in the heat of several contests and flyins
and all that hurry up and yet to have an issue with the cable.
One thing for sure I would recommend is the balance adapter to make the transmitter
balance properly if you use a neck strap. Sure helps out in thermalling contests
where I tend to walk around a lot and get up and down from chairs while on
a long flight.
I truly LOVE my Aurora. And never a "FUNNY" during all that flying even in crowded skies.
Jay
Jay Burkart is offline Find More Posts by Jay Burkart
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:58 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,239 Posts
Recording Telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomve View Post
Just a couple of small questions with regard to the telemetry feature:
- Is receiver signal quality available as a telemetry information (Receive Signal Strengh Indication, bit errors or simething similar)?
- Can the telemetry data be logged in either the aircraft or the transmitter for later download into a PC or is only current data visible at the transmitter?

(Sorry if these questions have already been answered. This thread is just becoming too massive to wade through.)
The only current way of recording the telemetry is to record it on a computer connected to the transmitter with the HPP-22 and record the data as you fly. At best this is a rather awkward procedure. One can but hope HP will rectify this in the future.
cmd is online now Find More Posts by cmd
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:27 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino View Post
The DX8 is a pretty fast system. It will tell you you lost signal right before you hit the ground too.
I don't see the advantage for us customers, if we here a warning before our plane will hit the ground.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:30 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomve View Post
Just a couple of small questions with regard to the telemetry feature:
- Is receiver signal quality available as a telemetry information (Receive Signal Strengh Indication, bit errors or simething similar)?
- Can the telemetry data be logged in either the aircraft or the transmitter for later download into a PC or is only current data visible at the transmitter?
(Sorry if these questions have already been answered. This thread is just becoming too massive to wade through.)
Telemetry - Spectra Pro_Alternate TX Connections. (USB device to pick up telemetry data wirelessly to the PC due near future

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:31 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
back on 72, I went from PPM to PCM once on my 8103.

I felt the difference, immediately, and I switched back.

48ms vs 24ms. I didn't know this back then.

the Aurora has a different stick response curve than other radios, to get the same feel you have to dial in more expo, people interpret this to mean it's fast, because one of the standard marketing BS lines for low latency has been "you'll have to dial in more expo." shame on JR/Futaba for propagating this carp.

to point out the radios measurable shortcomings is not denigrating it, if I said it was ugly (it's not) or that it "felt cheap/chintzy" (it absolutely doesn't), or if I were criticizing it in a factually untrue manner, that would all make me an a-hole. but I'm not, it's a great radio with a somewhat slower link than it's competitors.

the wizard interface for setup is a great step, the big touch screen is nice, the inclusion of full failsafes on all receivers is good, the telemetry being integrated, the RX voltage not requiring a separate plug in unit, it's a fabulous radios in many ways. the area it comes up short is neither deal-breaking nor non-trivial.
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:04 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Antenna Cable.

Quote:
My A-9 hasn't arrived yet but I've been flying the 2.4Ghz Spectra module in an Eclipse 7 since it came out. Never had a problem with the cable snagging on anything.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:04 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Have not snagged cable to date (TX is cased when in transit). Cable has not caused any reported problem to local users, one of whom has been known to stuff his TX into a backpack with other items. Cable is not easily seen when TX is in use and is soon forgotten about. However, if not intending to ever swap modules/antenna for use both 2.4ghz & 72 Mhz Spectra Pro modules, some solutions:

Spectra Pro Antenna - Hide coaxial cable inside TX.

more at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:12 PM
sportflyer
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2004
355 Posts
Tks for the inputs re antenna cable. This TX is solely for 2.4 Ghz. I use Evo 9 for the 72 mhz planes.
sportflyer is offline Find More Posts by sportflyer
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:29 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,210 Posts
Hey does anyone know if the trainer cord for the JR9303 will also work on the Hitec? It's the same stero type plug and I would like to buddy box my A9 with a friend who also has a A9
MLT67 is online now Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:

Never have had a problem. A small bit of packing tape can completely cure any potential snag issues as well...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)