HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:23 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
One thing with the battery low alarm I noticed this morning- when done flying a pack and I disconnect the battery, the tx alarm starts wailing. I suppose I see why (0 volts), but that's pretty hokey. I have to shut off the tx between packs now.
The alarm is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to be doing - telling you that your Rx voltage has gone below your selected low limit. I don't find that hokey and more importantly I don't see any other way to logically achieve this function. You might wish for an alternate way to shut the alarm off but turning off the TX is not exactly a difficult process. And like parkcityskier says, it's a good reminder to shut off your TX at the end of the day.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:36 PM
Fus ro dah!
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,470 Posts
Sorry, no. To turn off the tx twenty times between packs to silence the alarm for the one time to remind me to shut it off at the end of the day isn't a feature.

I admitted I see what it's doing, but if you think about it, the rx must be sending the last couple of frames of telemetry data after the battery is pulled. How else can it sense a battery voltage of 0 and still be able to transmit the data? I've also had a couple of cases where the last packet the tx receives is still above the cutoff, because the alarm doesn't go off when I disconnect. Are you saying that's deliberate?

I like the low voltage alarm, don't get me wrong, but the corner case of power shutoff time should be handled more gracefully.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:39 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
I agree Greywing.......maybe I don't understand what your complaint is but I would think you would want to turn the tx off in-between changing out the battery as a safety precaution and rebind using the normal procedure for turning everything on.

I just got back from flying today and when I did my range check I was probably 200 ft away and just out of curiosity I stood behind a dumpster with the tx and still had a solid connection and no jittering.
The Tx was completely blocked by a heavy steel drop box that was head high and I still had complete control.
The signal strength and integrity of the A9 binding appears to be outstanding.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:11 PM
Downtown Minneapolis
USA, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2009
197 Posts
Hey folks,

Anyone know of a good place to buy a suitable SPC cable? I am looking for thick wire leads that can hold up to the 6s pack. Does it matter if Futaba or JR leads? part number with the thickest wires?

I plan on using on a heli running 6 cells and want the internal bec of the esc to have as much amps available to power the servos gyro and full size brushless bls251. Plan to solder spc cable to the ESC battery connection leads Sound like a good plan?
iAdam is offline Find More Posts by iAdam
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:18 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
You can use a regular 22g servo lead as you are pulling very low amperage for the receiver side

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdam View Post
Hey folks,

Anyone know of a good place to buy a suitable SPC cable? I am looking for thick wire leads that can hold up to the 6s pack. Does it matter if Futaba or JR leads? part number with the thickest wires?

I plan on using on a heli running 6 cells and want the internal bec of the esc to have as much amps available to power the servos gyro and full size brushless bls251. Plan to solder spc cable to the ESC battery connection leads Sound like a good plan?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:18 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Sorry, no. To turn off the tx twenty times between packs to silence the alarm for the one time to remind me to shut it off at the end of the day isn't a feature.

I admitted I see what it's doing, but if you think about it, the rx must be sending the last couple of frames of telemetry data after the battery is pulled. How else can it sense a battery voltage of 0 and still be able to transmit the data? I've also had a couple of cases where the last packet the tx receives is still above the cutoff, because the alarm doesn't go off when I disconnect. Are you saying that's deliberate?

I like the low voltage alarm, don't get me wrong, but the corner case of power shutoff time should be handled more gracefully.
I don't know, but I speculate that the battery status data is sent on regular, but relatively infrequent time periods inasmuch as it is not the same level of criticality as controlling servos; however I am certain no data is sent after the battery is disconnected because there would be no power available to do so. It is also unclear what the TX does with the last battery data sent (if anything).

Understand I am not trying to deprive you of your right to not like this feature but if you were king how would you decree this process to be implemented?
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:57 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
The A9 beeps when the RX is connected. So the A9 knows it is receiving a signal from that RX. Surely it can tell when the RX stops sending the signal. Once it detects that, disengage the alarm.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:59 PM
Fly low!
VS , Germany
Joined Jul 2007
403 Posts
Hi,

today i watched something that i never had before.

I turned on my radio and reciver normaly in normal mode the module beeps 4 times.

But today 2 times it beeps longer and with a longer break between the beeps.

Then the Red LED on module and reciver were burning red but the servos were verey slow.

The do what i do on the stick almost a second later and very imprecise.

Then i turned of the radio and reciver an when i turned on again all was normal.( fast 4 beeps )

Can anybody tell me what this is??
I use the SPC Port in this Model with 6S is it maybe a problem for the reciver when conecting the Lipo to the ESC??

@iAdam: I use 0,5mm silicon Wires for SPC with an JR plug. (0,5mm = 20AWG )

Norbert
Norf is offline Find More Posts by Norf
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:08 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norf View Post
Hi,

today i watched something that i never had before.

I turned on my radio and reciver normaly in normal mode the module beeps 4 times.

But today 2 times it beeps longer and with a longer break between the beeps.

Then the Red LED on module and reciver were burning red but the servos were verey slow.

The do what i do on the stick almost a second later and very imprecise.

Then i turned of the radio and reciver an when i turned on again all was normal.( fast 4 beeps )

Can anybody tell me what this is??
I use the SPC Port in this Model with 6S is it maybe a problem for the reciver when conecting the Lipo to the ESC??

@iAdam: I use 0,5mm silicon Wires for SPC with an JR plug. (0,5mm = 20AWG )

Norbert

As I remember many many pages back, someone else had this same issue but I dont' remember them mentioning a change in the beep behavior. They went through the bind process for that RX and I don't think they had that problem again. Although, the RX worked fine after doing exactly what you did. He did the bind process just to be safe.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:56 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,970 Posts
iAdam - These are good for SPC cables.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9909

Good gauge for long leads, Pop the white wire out of the plug and un-twist it, then twist it back up.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:03 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
I use these:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272707

Can beat the price and the quality is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdam View Post
Hey folks,

Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:03 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
For the record my aurora 9 does not beep low voltage when I unplug the plane battery.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:39 PM
East TN
Joined Jan 2005
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
For the record my aurora 9 does not beep low voltage when I unplug the plane battery.
Same here
CAT Power is offline Find More Posts by CAT Power
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:43 PM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,041 Posts
Nor does mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:50 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Sep 2007
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage View Post
Nor does mine.
Mind does I set the low battery alarm for all my planes and helicopter.
lucas45 is offline Find More Posts by lucas45