HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:07 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -S- View Post
All,

Had my first flights tonight, had some challenges but everything came back in one piece! am coming from a DX6i using AR6200's
All I did was remove the Spektrum stuff, 2 of the 3 planes are slow stick and had a simple setup (tail only)The 3rd is a HZ SuperCub with Ailerons, I set the Aileron servos up on seperate channels so I could also use Flaps. (symptoms are same flaps enabled and disabled)One example of what Am talking about is the SC would roll easily and flips were no issue. and it would climb vertical as long as you wanted.Now flips are sluggish, it really wont go vertical, and it will not roll it starts the roll and seems to just quit and stall.
To me it makes no sense because the only thing I did was switch to the A9 no other tweaks or adjustments.I have full throttle off to full so the ESC is programmed right... and it's doesn't really feel like a lack of power issue....
Does this make any sense? I know I'm slowly going nuts, but....
Anyway, just wondering if I missed something between the Spektrum and A9 that I'm not catching.Is there a A9 - 101 thread I missed?
Anyway good day over all just strange.Hope y'all got some stick time in! -S-
"Now flips are sluggish, it really wont go vertical, and it will not roll it starts the roll and seems to just quit and stall."

Appears to be more of a power issue, are you achieving the same RPM, especially at same stick positions, as previously used?.
. Was the Aurora Throttle trim reduced to below 30, prefereably to minimum before setting the ESC?
. Some ESC (e.g. Graupner & Futaba) have to be re-programmed 2-3 three times when changing TX brands before they will reconfigure properly.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:42 AM
Joined Dec 2009
12 Posts
Help please... I'm setting up a H9 Mustang PTS with two aileron servos and two flap servos. I am not using Y leads. The current channel allocations are as follows:
Ch1: Aile 1
Ch2: Elev
Ch3: Thro
Ch4: Rud
Ch5: Aile 2
Ch 6: Flap 1
Ch 7: Flap 2

I want to assign the flaps to switch D so that in one position I have no flap and in the 2nd position I have flap down for landing. Currently Ch 6 & 7 are assigned to the LS slider.

I have read the manual and I am still unsure how to set this up on the A9.

Can anyone please help me set this up?

As a side question, if I was to leave the flaps on the left slider, is the centre of the slider range neutral?

For example: if i slide it down the flaps go down, slide up the flaps go up and act like an airbrake and if it is in the centre of its movement range the flaps remain in a neutral position.

Thanks
Michael
mickzo is offline Find More Posts by mickzo
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:51 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickzo View Post
Help please... I'm setting up a H9 Mustang PTS with two aileron servos and two flap servos. I am not using Y leads. The current channel allocations are as follows:
Ch1: Aile 1
Ch2: Elev
Ch3: Thro
Ch4: Rud
Ch5: Aile 2
Ch 6: Flap 1
Ch 7: Flap 2
I want to assign the flaps to switch D so that in one position I have no flap and in the 2nd position I have flap down for landing. Currently Ch 6 & 7 are assigned to the LS slider. I have read the manual and I am still unsure how to set this up on the A9. Can anyone please help me set this up? As a side question, if I was to leave the flaps on the left slider, is the centre of the slider range neutral? For example: if i slide it down the flaps go down, slide up the flaps go up and act like an airbrake and if it is in the centre of its movement range the flaps remain in a neutral position. Thanks Michael
Aurora A9 - Flapperon - Flaps - Set up
"Depending on what you select, the radio will automatically optimize the functions for your choices.
In other words, if you select a wing type without flaps, there will be no flap function control.
Note options in that model memories programming.
1. Select "System Settings" > "MDLType"> Wing = "2AILE".
User will note Ch1 AILE:J1 Ch5 AIL2:J1 is preset when checked on the Channel menu.
2. Enter Model menu 2/2 select "FLAP CON" > Select "NULL" > select which switch you desire (e.g. "G") flaps to be on.
3. Return one screen, and set amount of flap control required for each of the two servos, say reduce from 100% (no movement) to 60% - 70% for both. User can also mix in "ELEV: 0%", increasing the "0" as desired.

Set up Flaps for 2Aile & 2Flap with Flapperon for Scale Beaver. which shows how to mix & slow servo as per full scale Beaver may also assist.

Aurora A9 - Flap (Landing) Mix
"Flap Condition is also another way you can activate flaps (flapperons.) In this mix the default control is the left slider (LS) but you can change that to what ever you want... Note that when using LS the center of the slider is neutral so you have the option of ailerons down (flaps) or up (spoiler) with elevator compensation in either direction. If you leave the switch select for this at "NULL" then the mix is always active. Assign it to a switch to turn it on and off. This mix is also tied to the flight condition so can be set multiple ways depending on the condition you are in. "
[url=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255733]

more at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:05 AM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Gas sensor

Mike or A.T. is this true that the fuel sensor will not work with gas i all ready pre order one I'm hope that this is not true and why would it not work with gas and oil mix heli and planes the sensor goes on the out side of the tank so how does it tell how much fuel you have?
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:57 AM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
"Now flips are sluggish, it really wont go vertical, and it will not roll it starts the roll and seems to just quit and stall."

Appears to be more of a power issue, are you achieving the same RPM, especially at same stick positions, as previously used?.
. Was the Aurora Throttle trim reduced to below 30, prefereably to minimum before setting the ESC?
. Some ESC (e.g. Graupner & Futaba) have to be re-programmed 2-3 three times when changing TX brands before they will reconfigure properly.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan,

I believe I have it set properly, but now that you mention it I did get 18 min. out of a pack with more left, perhaps It's not right.

Will re train it a few time.

Thanks! -S-
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:37 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Just updated the A9, Spectra 2.4, 1xO7 and 2xO9. No problem except for sketchy internet connections.

Had me worried:
1. What would happen if the Internet connect should break in the middle of an upgrade?

2. Also what would happen should the electrical system fail?

We can use a UPS to solve Problem 2, but what about Problem 1? Kinda calls for an upgrading from an ALREADY downloaded file, doesn't it?

Anyway, the upgrade went without too many hitches except for the occasional "No internet connection" message

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,664 Posts
I find it very hard to believe they would literally stream the bits from Korea to your tx. Far easier to download then flash.

One thing with the battery low alarm I noticed this morning- when done flying a pack and I disconnect the battery, the tx alarm starts wailing. I suppose I see why (0 volts), but that's pretty hokey. I have to shut off the tx between packs now.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:52 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
That is weird. Mine did not make a peep after I disconnected the pack. Maybe I did something weird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
I find it very hard to believe they would literally stream the bits from Korea to your tx. Far easier to download then flash.

One thing with the battery low alarm I noticed this morning- when done flying a pack and I disconnect the battery, the tx alarm starts wailing. I suppose I see why (0 volts), but that's pretty hokey. I have to shut off the tx between packs now.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:53 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Is there a way to set the alarm with out it going to 35v and then having to go all the way down to 10v?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:56 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
That is weird. Mine did not make a peep after I disconnected the pack. Maybe I did something weird...
Did you upgrade the 2.4 module? I was thinking that was where the alarm was coming from when you disconnect the plane battery.
weaser42 is online now Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:58 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
I have a 7 channel in for service for that very reason and someone else complained about not connecting a receiver(9 channel I believe). All of my other rx's connected, so they must have a few with problems in the communication area.
I may have to send in my 9 channel for service as well I guess. I even tried a second pc just in case. I had no issues with 3 7 channels on upgrade, and can still get those to connect no problem, but no matter what I try I cannot get the 9 channel to connect.
weaser42 is online now Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
I upgraded the module and set the voltage really low like 3.something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
Did you upgrade the 2.4 module? I was thinking that was where the alarm was coming from when you disconnect the plane battery.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:22 AM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
194 Posts
I was kinda worried about loss of connection during upgrade also. But what I think is happening from watching the network activity is that when it first starts the upgrade and there is the delay in the progress bar it is downloading the complete file, then once received it starts the transfer to the componant.

I also noticed the alarm when removing the pack. There doesn't seem to be a reset for it other then cycling the radio or plugging another pack in. I would have to check again but I believe the alarm only sounds if you have the low voltage set for that perticular model. I don't remember it happening before I had set my LV alarm.
Troy S is offline Find More Posts by Troy S
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,568 Posts
Kinda nice, actually. If you're taking out the last pack for the day it reminds you to turn off the TX.
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
194 Posts
Almost forgot to mention that I had the first flight of my PZ T-28 on my new A9 yesterday!

Unfortunately nosed it into the ground on the second flight, but I think it had more to due with the Latency of my brain telling me my hat just blew off in a strong gust of wind and that my plane was still in the air then the radio. It did look kind of surreal whatching it dissapear in the tall grass and then seeing the parts fly back up into view.

Exciting crash aside, I must say I love this radio, just a few minutes in programming and it's like I have been using it since I started flying. Although it was really to windy for me to get accurate feel for it, it did seem to be much sharper and exact on the controls then my DX7 was. I threw in 20% expo on the ailerons for the second flight and it felt great. Can't wait to set up my FMS P-51 with the flaps and retracts so I can play with more of the switches and settings.

For those looking for a lipo I took the $8 DIY Lion battery from RCMR instructions http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml that I was using in my Turnigy 9x and made an adapter with the Hitec end and it fits and works great. I'll have to build another when I get a chance for the 9X.
Troy S is offline Find More Posts by Troy S