Update the Module
CAT Power is offline Find More Posts by CAT Power
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:04 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Add me to the list of folks that got through all the updates without any problems. I just upgraded the Firmware on 1 RX, the TX and the Module without any problems. Slick as snot!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:34 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Lucky 's

Its a beautiful winters day here, all my mates are out flying and im at home sulking
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:35 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,169 Posts
I just ran into an issue trying to update firmware on an Optima 9 I just picked up today. I have no issues connecting (and updating) any of the 3 Optima 7's I have but I can't get the 9 to connect. I notice when hook up a 7 I get both blue and red light on the rec, but when I try the 9 I just get a red light. I had no issues binding the 9 and it appears to work for the one channel I tested, but I just can't connect to the 9 with the HPP-22. using data port for HPP-22 connection, have tried powering with batt port, servo ports, and even the SPC for the hec of it. Any ideas?
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:51 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
I just ran into an issue trying to update firmware on an Optima 9 I just picked up today. I have no issues connecting (and updating) any of the 3 Optima 7's I have but I can't get the 9 to connect. I notice when hook up a 7 I get both blue and red light on the rec, but when I try the 9 I just get a red light. I had no issues binding the 9 and it appears to work for the one channel I tested, but I just can't connect to the 9 with the HPP-22. using data port for HPP-22 connection, have tried powering with batt port, servo ports, and even the SPC for the hec of it. Any ideas?
The only Optima 7 I upgraded (more to follow) didn't connect the first time I tried. I had to power up the RX after I selected the RX on the first screen, and then I figured out you have to hit yes on the TX But if I had the power on the RX prior to selecting the Optima 7/9 from the first screen, it didn't seem to register. You have likely tried that, but thought I would share it for what its worth.

Diggs
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:54 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
+1 No problem updating the Tx and one O7 (same issue as Diggs above). However, I forgot to do the module! Going to grab it now.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:31 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
First flights with the Aurora

All,

Had my first flights tonight, had some challenges but everything came back in one piece!

I am coming from a DX6i using AR6200's

Using the A9 with 1.06 (programmer coming) Optima7 RX's

I have 3 planes I converted to the A9.

All 3 feel Spongy, it's really hard to explain but the planes seem very unresponsive compared to the DX6i.

All I did was remove the Spektrum stuff, 2 of the 3 planes are slow stick and had a simple setup (tail only)

The 3rd is a HZ SuperCub with Ailerons, I set the Aileron servos up on seperate channels so I could also use Flaps. (symptoms are same flaps enabled and disabled)

One example of what Am talking about is the SC would roll easily and flips were no issue. and it would climb vertical as long as you wanted.

Now flips are sluggish, it really wont go vertical, and it will not roll it starts the roll and seems to just quit and stall.

To me it makes no sense because the only thing I did was switch to the A9 no other tweaks or adjustments.

I have full throttle off to full so the ESC is programmed right... and it's doesn't really feel like a lack of power issue....

Does this make any sense? I know I'm slowly going nuts, but....

Anyway, just wondering if I missed something between the Spektrum and A9 that I'm not catching.

Is there a A9 - 101 thread I missed?

Anyway good day over all just strange.

Hope y'all got some stick time in! -S-
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:34 PM
USA, MA, Woburn
Joined Oct 2008
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rino View Post
It's too bad Hitec didn't throw in a neck strap with those TXs. It's a shame I have to use a JR strap with my A9
Couldn't agree with you more... I even ordered a Hitec neck strap to match the radio, but they are so ugly and uncomfortable that I couldn't use it. Oh well I will be using my JR for now
Devil_Inside is offline Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:36 PM
USA, MA, Woburn
Joined Oct 2008
297 Posts
BTW, I also upgraded my radio and module without any problems. Tomorrow will be the real test though as I am about to maiden a 28% Krill Katana S
Devil_Inside is offline Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:43 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -S- View Post
All,

Had my first flights tonight, had some challenges but everything came back in one piece!

I am coming from a DX6i using AR6200's

Using the A9 with 1.06 (programmer coming) Optima7 RX's

I have 3 planes I converted to the A9.

All 3 feel Spongy, it's really hard to explain but the planes seem very unresponsive compared to the DX6i.

All I did was remove the Spektrum stuff, 2 of the 3 planes are slow stick and had a simple setup (tail only)

The 3rd is a HZ SuperCub with Ailerons, I set the Aileron servos up on seperate channels so I could also use Flaps. (symptoms are same flaps enabled and disabled)

One example of what Am talking about is the SC would roll easily and flips were no issue. and it would climb vertical as long as you wanted.

Now flips are sluggish, it really wont go vertical, and it will not roll it starts the roll and seems to just quit and stall.

To me it makes no sense because the only thing I did was switch to the A9 no other tweaks or adjustments.

I have full throttle off to full so the ESC is programmed right... and it's doesn't really feel like a lack of power issue....

Does this make any sense? I know I'm slowly going nuts, but....

Anyway, just wondering if I missed something between the Spektrum and A9 that I'm not catching.

Is there a A9 - 101 thread I missed?

Anyway good day over all just strange.

Hope y'all got some stick time in! -S-

Not sure what is up with the lack of vertical, that shouldn't have changed. However, try going into EPA and increasing the End Points for the ailerons and any other control that feels sluggish. This is the same a Travel Adjust on the Spektrum gear. The lack of roll rate sounds like the throws on the control surfaces are too low. Try increasing them and see what happens.

Diggs
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:10 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
This must be some kind of settings issue with your tx.
We have all seen Brandon Chitty.........spinning a 35% yak like a top.
And you cant do one complete 360.
When you move the sticks do they seem to move the surfaces at a decent speed.
I would check the dual rates and expo as well.
Keep us posted if you figure out whats wrong.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:13 PM
Big Extra
USA, CA, Lincoln
Joined Apr 2003
1,212 Posts
Did you set up your planes the same on the A9, EPA, D/R, Expo. You can't just plug into the rx and go fly without the proper setup.
rino is offline Find More Posts by rino
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:17 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2444 View Post
Agreed, The SC has dihedral in the wing, so it will want to return to neutral. The way he describes it sounds like he doesn't have enough deflection in the control surfaces to sustain the roll.

-S- expo is also reverse between the Spektrum and the Aurora 9. I doubt this is the problem, but you should be aware. + expo on the DX6 would soften the stick movement around the center position, but on the A9 - expo will soften the centers.

GL,

Diggs
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:02 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2444 View Post
Zero, Rino, Diggs.

I went real basic on the setup no dual rates, no expo, sorry should have noted that.

I'm reading the manual now. The surfaces seem to move slower with less travel but I guess I'd have to put back in the AR6200's to be sure.

I may do that but before I do, I'll keep reading. I did increase travel to 130% maybe that will do it.

I'll double check everything and maybe just sit at the field tomorrow and experiment.

If I figure it out I'll let y'all know. I appreciate the ideas.

Me tired, nappy time. -S-
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:26 AM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
I have a 7 channel in for service for that very reason and someone else complained about not connecting a receiver(9 channel I believe). All of my other rx's connected, so they must have a few with problems in the communication area.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60