Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:19 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mando View Post
My skills are limited , and I'm running W7 32 bit.......Thanks...
Should work, I've never done any permanent damage registering files.

-S-
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:33 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
What about wind? yes, you probably didn't think about that...right? airspeed includes the wind speed ; GPS does not.

what about climbing and diving as someone pointed out?

Now, adding things up, you are starting to see that ground speed and airspeed can be very different.
I couldn't pass on this one. With over 30,000 hours in full scale airplanes, airspeed does NOT include wind speed. The only time that wind speed is a factor is in GROUND SPEED. Now, let's get back to the Aurora 9 forum, please.
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
867 Posts
correction taken. I hope you understand the important thing I was trying to say in previous posts: that wind causes the airspeed and groundspeed to be different.

The only advantage I see in the GPS is for altitude and plotting your course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post
I couldn't pass on this one. With over 30,000 hours in full scale airplanes, airspeed does NOT include wind speed. The only time that wind speed is a factor is in GROUND SPEED. Now, let's get back to the Aurora 9 forum, please.
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Last edited by teryn1; Jul 16, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
yea...I'm an engineer...no one ever listens to engineers I am used to it.

The aurora 9 rocks. Still a little confused about this whole module voltage versus radio voltage thing. Have not fully read up on it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:13 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
I think the GPS's speed may be more accurate than you think. We are using a multi-dimensional unit which is not just tracking in 2D. Have any of you viewed the flight data I recorded? If you look at the one minute mark you will see I made a very steep climb and the speed was down to around 15Mph, I then turned around and dove at a similar angle with a max speed of about 65Mph. This was a Fun Cub and I would be willing to bet that was very close to the maximum speed it was capable of. If this were only ground speed then the actual speed would have been somewhere around 80Mph which I seriously doubt!

We are working on other options in the future like a pitot tube and variometer as well as getting ESC data for amps and watts, but for now this is what we will have.

Here's the file again. Just launch the HPP-22 software without having it connected and then select etc, spectra demo. I would suggest you first go into the set up if you want to see it in ft. and Mph as it defaults to metric. Then select view and click the 2D setting and open the file and watch how it plays out. It's pretty cool!

Anyway more goodies for you all to play with shortly!

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:18 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
30,000 hours.......that's some serious stick time.

The GPS ground speed indicator may not be completely precise at all attitudes......but it should give you a good estimate.

Going4Speed: If your a engineer being called a ignoramus is probably not the worst thing you've been called.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:23 PM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
I think the GPS's speed may be more accurate than you think. We are using a multi-dimensional unit which is not just tracking in 2D. Have any of you viewed the flight data I recorded? If you look at the one minute mark you will see I made a very steep climb and the speed was down to around 15Mph, I then turned around and dove at a similar angle with a max speed of about 65Mph. This was a Fun Cub and I would be willing to bet that was very close to the maximum speed it was capable of. If this were only ground speed then the actual speed would have been somewhere around 80Mph which I seriously doubt!

We are working on other options in the future like a pitot tube and variometer as well as getting ESC data for amps and watts, but for now this is what we will have.

Here's the file again. Just launch the HPP-22 software without having it connected and then select etc, spectra demo. I would suggest you first go into the set up if you want to see it in ft. and Mph as it defaults to metric. Then select view and click the 2D setting and open the file and watch how it plays out. It's pretty cool!

Anyway more goodies for you all to play with shortly!

Mike.
Nice stuff. I'm looking forward to the esc data logging. Good for us power freaks who like to abuse their gear. I hope it will be accurate upwards of 400 amps.
Synth is offline Find More Posts by Synth
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:28 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
867 Posts
Last edited by teryn1; Jul 15, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:31 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
867 Posts
Mike, thanks for the clarifications on the GPS. I like how you are doing 3D for GPS speed and not just 2D. That is a lot better. Now if you could just factor the wind in. Looking forward to the Pitot system. I use Eagle Tree's and like it a lot.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:32 PM
Joined Sep 2006
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
The only advantage I see in the GPS is for altitude and plotting your course.
And speed relative to 0 (stationary).

Even my old obsolete Garmin 12 handheld GPS has a speed accuracy of 0.1 Knots (0.185 km/h, 0.115 mph) in any direction.

GPS devices calculate speed from how quickly the GPS coordinates are changing at least 4 satellites need to be tracked to get good accuracy there are 29 GPS satellites in orbit and the least number that GPS devices ever see is 8 or 9 in the open. A car speedometer has an accuracy of 10%.
reckless loony is offline Find More Posts by reckless loony
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:32 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2444 View Post
The GPS ground speed indicator may not be completely precise at all attitudes......but it should give you a good estimate.
What do you mean by this?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:43 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
The world is round
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:15 AM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,048 Posts
Gosh I love RCgroups. I learn something new everday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
The world is round
mfpage is online now Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:32 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Yup, I drew a picture of it!

Airspeed and ground speed are different, because the world is round.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:30 AM
The truth will prevail
Westbury, NY
Joined Nov 2009
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
The world is round
needs to be proved!

btw: yesterday 8 of 9 RX's updated to vers. 2.0 with no problems, but tested inflight only in my trainer so far....

- where is the telemetry??
- Mike's mikeflight.txt file crashes the HPP-22 software vers. 1.02 in the Spectra 2.4 demo mode under Windows XP. Guess, it's same problem as with the connection problem of the HPP-22 to the Spectra module. Region and Country code of Windows XP has to be switched to English.

Juergen
skyrock is offline Find More Posts by skyrock
Last edited by skyrock; Jul 16, 2010 at 04:30 AM.