HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2009, 11:19 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,764 Posts
looks like a cool radio...but have you guys seen that the coax for the antenna is actually on the outside?? Feels like being a modded TX from the start = not good. I understand why ..but still :/
mattijs321 is offline Find More Posts by mattijs321
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2009, 12:24 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattijs321
looks like a cool radio...but have you guys seen that the coax for the antenna is actually on the outside?? Feels like being a modded TX from the start = not good. I understand why ..but still :/
But it does still offer the multifrequency feature. I guess that's what you have to give up to get it.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Jun 05, 2009, 12:51 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattijs321
Think about this; What happens when 2.4GHz gets replaced with something else??? Slap a new module in and WHAMMO!!! New radio.

As long as the radio is made to transmit all digital data between the module and Tx I'm ok with it. This is one reason I almost went with the Futaba 10C.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 05, 2009, 03:24 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
This looks like a really nice radio for this price point. I really like the large touch screen. I saw some pictures and noticed the connection to the 2.4Ghz antenna is by an external wire. Is there any reason why this isn't internal? I think it would be really easy to accidently snag this wire and break it. I predict one of the first mod threads will be the internalizing of that wire. Other than that one criticism this radio looks like it will be a price/performance winner.

Brendin
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Jun 05, 2009, 03:39 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron
I predict one of the first mod threads will be the internalizing of that wire.
First guy trying this will announce how he fried his Aurora, and there will be no other followers. That wire is there with a reason, but is no time and space here to explain why.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 05, 2009, 03:49 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA
First guy trying this will announce how he fried his Aurora, and there will be no other followers. That wire is there with a reason, but is no time and space here to explain why.
I don't think so. There are many guys who moved the antenna wire to the inside of their Futaba 9C with Spektrum module. It is doable without any ill effects. It does make the module non-removable... at least not without taking it apart to disconnect the antenna wire.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:49 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1 Posts
Is it possible to remove a 40Mhz module from an Eclipse7 and use it with the Aurora or will I need new receivers for all my models?
kiwirob is offline Find More Posts by kiwirob
Old Jun 06, 2009, 08:22 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirob
Is it possible to remove a 40Mhz module from an Eclipse7 and use it with the Aurora or will I need new receivers for all my models?
Not sure about the 40mhz module but Mike Mayberry has said that the 72mhz Spectra module in the current radios is not compatible with the new radio. They have a new Spectra PRO module that is needed for this new radio. He also said there will be a very attractive price on the Spectra Pro module when purchased with the radio.

Look at Hobby Horse in the US and you will see that there is:
Aurora 9 with Optima 9 Receiver and (4) HS-5485 Servos...$529.99
Aurora 9 with Optima 9 Receiver...$459.99
Aurora 9 with 7 Optima channel Receiver...$429.99

Taking Preorders...available June 2009
Aurora 9 with 9 channel Receiver and 72Mhz Pro Synth Module...$399.99

So its actually cheaper to buy the radio with receiver and 72mhz module. EDIT: After cross referencing with Tower Hobbies I just realized I may be reading this incorrectly. It would be more logical if this was the radio w/the 72mhz module but w/o the 2.4ghz module. Not so clear to me. Wishful thinking that it would include both at a lower price

Tower lists: Hitec Aurora 9 Synthesized 72MHz Tx & Freedom 9Ch Syn for $399.

If course the June date has slipped.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Last edited by JoeR; Jun 06, 2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 08:36 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA
That wire is there with a reason, but is no time and space here to explain why.
What does that mean?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:36 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Man I'm bummed, I'm sitting here hoping for a concrete date and I see it got pushed back once again. I want to use this FPV setup but I only have a X9303 I want to sell this thing so I can get the Aurora and get the 72mhz module. Come on Hitec.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jul 12, 2009, 06:04 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,463 Posts
This thread has been quiet for some time. I wondered what caused the slip? Sorry to hear about that.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:06 AM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Perhaps the lack of a FCC certification?

Searched the FCC site again yesterday......still no sign of a Hitec 2.4G approval.
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways
Man I'm bummed, I'm sitting here hoping for a concrete date and I see it got pushed back once again. I want to use this FPV setup but I only have a X9303 I want to sell this thing so I can get the Aurora and get the 72mhz module. Come on Hitec.
Where did you see/hear this. I have an Aurora on Backorder but may change the backorder if it is going to be delayed months.
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old Jul 20, 2009, 04:27 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Common!!!! i want a aurora but, its taking so long to release, i might have to get a dx7 instead, are the aurora 6ch reciever full range? for $50 that cheaper then spectrum.
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Jul 20, 2009, 04:31 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl
Where did you see/hear this. I have an Aurora on Backorder but may change the backorder if it is going to be delayed months.
Tower Hobbies had them set for July, now the only set for July is the Aurora with the rx AND servos. The Aurora with the 7 channel RX was scheduled for Aug. all along but the 9 channel RX one was July but got pushed to August now. They probably just want people to jump on the one with servos so they can take more money from us.

I'm close to giving up and sticking with my X9303. I've been holding off on buying RXs for over a month now just to wait for this damn radio.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways