Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:56 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,252 Posts
[QUOTE=Tovin;24359313

The reason I am curious, because all build in BEC mostly are switch mode.
I'm using a linear BEC with continuous 5A output.
The question does connection of both negative will affecting the power chain with unwanted current noise?[/QUOTE]

Tovin, I am not an electrical engineer, but I think you wouldn't want to constrict the system down to one negative. The more it is grounded the less noise it should make right? I have successfully build RFI shields out of copper and grounded them to the negative(it's on my blog). I wouldn't worry too much about it and you could put a Feral filter in the line too to control RF noise.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Mike,
Will the Maxima 6 and 9 be single antenna, BODA or dual antenna?
Are they top or end pin?
What is the min/max voltage they will work at?
Is the case on the 9X thinner (less deep) than the Aurora 9?
best of success with the new line!!!!
Frank
Two releases added yesterday to Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
copied hereto will answer those questions.
together with two extracts from the Hitec 2013 catalogue.

Maxima has the same reboot voltage as the Minima = 2.6v.

No module, A9X case is thinner.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Mar 10, 2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: add extracts from catalogue
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
15 Posts
Firmware upgrade using Windows 8

Can I run the firmware update from 1.08 to 1.09 on a Windows 8 computer?
sailorman33 is offline Find More Posts by sailorman33
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovin View Post
Just to confirm the SPC connection for using external BEC, which not necessary to connect the negative BEC wire.
Since the negative BEC wire is already connect from the ESC via build in BEC connection.
UBEC (aka SBEC & Switchmode Regulator) must have negative wired to system.
Please refer to schematics attached:

. Optima Transceiver (RX) - EP Models Use SPC Port for RX Power Supply (BEC only is unreliable) & correct Battery Telemetry.

. Optima Receiver - SPC connection & Lead Detailed plus Optima Current Draw/Amps[/url

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
& Telemetry
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman33 View Post
Can I run the firmware update from 1.08 to 1.09 on a Windows 8 computer?
No recorded instance of an HPP-22 problem with Win8 to date.
Whilst not used under Win8 myself, from using other items on PC running Win8,
can not see any reason why there would be any difference to that under Win7.
. Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use

& Telemetry
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:47 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,899 Posts
One area this A9 TX is very weak in is data transfer. I had an issue with my TX not transferring models correct to another A9 and also not connecting to a PC via the 22 box. I sent it in for service and they replaced the entire internal electronics and also the display. Guess what? it still does not transfer in either mode. We have switched cables, 22 units and other PC's Now I get the throttle curve keep changing on my Sbach that nearly caused severe damage to a $15000 turbine jet. The very first time after getting it back I selected my Sbach and connected the bats. Went to taxi and the thing hit full power and shot towards this jet. I had only given a little throttle to get it moving. I checked everything out and found the throttle curve was now 100% with a couple of stick notches.... no wonder. So changed that and saved it. Next day it did the exact same thing. It keeps changing every time I want to use it but only the next day?
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:38 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,452 Posts
Obviously it needs to go back to get it right. Exorcism?
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,698 Posts
Alan T: I wish Hitec would revise schematics/drawings in transmitter manuals and Optima receiver instruction sheets showing CLEARLY how to hook up add-on switch-mode BEC's to power the servos and SPC jumper to separately power the receiver. Include + and - polarity symbols at SPC plug and receiver, etc. This is vey important for electric powered models which are a large part of the model airplane hobby nowadays.

I'm still not convinced that the SPC plug connection providing motor battery power to receiver is any more (or less) reliable than using the output of an add-on switch mode BEC to power both receiver and servos. If a connector comes loose or power wire breaks anywhere in the circuit, you lose control. If add-on BEC fails you lose control. Make sure splices of SPC and add-on BEC pigtails to ESC power wires are well soldered and supported with heat shrink tubing, and DO NOT plug SPC connector into Optima receiver with reversed polarity. Symbols on receiver are small, hard to see.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Mar 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,205 Posts
Well I just ordered a few Minima 6S from Tower. They are going in the Crack Yak and Crack Wing I have coming. Going to be curious to see the antenna. I'm guessing they will be same length as the ones on the 6E/6T just not have the boda on them?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Well I just ordered a few Minima 6S from Tower.
They are going in the Crack Yak and Crack Wing I have coming.
Going to be curious to see the antenna.
I'm guessing they will be same length as the ones on the 6E/6T just not have the boda on them?
Please check your A9 module has latest firmware as under:
. Optima Receivers - Light Weight. Optima_6 LITE Transceiver, Minima 6E, 6T & 6L Lite Micro Receivers...
.. Minima are compatible only with Spectra Module V3.01 or higher. Caseless Weights for 6 & 7ch Optima Transceivers.
Different ID-Setup procedure since 30 October 2012: - quick reference.
. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Spectra Module V3.01(0), Optima Transceiver 6, 7 & 9ch V2.02(0) & Minima Receivers

Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers
& Telemetry FAQ
_ Setups & Tips

Alan T.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:50 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
I have tried Optima 7a 6 Lite and Minima with the same result,on Mr Mayberry's suggestion i shall now borrow a 9 channel and give it a try as the manufactuer of the winches used that setup and reported no problem however that sounds weird to me .
On that note yes i borrowed one and it makes all the difference.I range tested under sail with the 6 Lite and then did the same with the 9 channel and could get way further out before loss of control, in full power mode the winch was glitchy and on the 9 it was like butter you can literally feel the connectivity.I'm pretty shure this is the problem just amazed how much signal power is lost with this type of application,i did move the Rx to a different location to get the antenna as high under the deck as possible but the comparison was done using the same location.Thanks Mr Mayberry
Another question we install everything in a pot with a screw lid for waterproofing of the equip lipo's etc the antennas are a bit on the short side,i can get aftermarket antennas 60cm with the plug but not with the boda will they work or do i go back to square one and loss of range???
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:44 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
On that note yes i borrowed one and it makes all the difference.I range tested under sail with the 6 Lite and then did the same with the 9 channel and could get way further out before loss of control, in full power mode the winch was glitchy and on the 9 it was like butter you can literally feel the connectivity.I'm pretty shure this is the problem just amazed how much signal power is lost with this type of application,i did move the Rx to a different location to get the antenna as high under the deck as possible but the comparison was done using the same location.Thanks Mr Mayberry
Another question we install everything in a pot with a screw lid for waterproofing of the equip lipo's etc the antennas are a bit on the short side,i can get aftermarket antennas 60cm with the plug but not with the boda will they work or do i go back to square one and loss of range???
Make your own. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3176
bigbobed is offline Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:14 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,875 Posts
Bigbobed thanks man,i've order'd two from HK, the FrSky ones only because they have the plugs installed for the circuit board and i have none.The BODA on the end is what i'm conserned about obviously in this application i cannot afford to sacrifice any range,i'm in the hope that longer antenna will allow for a more desired placement .Thanks Peter
P.S Here's what i am talking about
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nna_60_cm.html
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; Mar 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:16 PM
Finland
Joined Jul 2004
669 Posts
I have following problem:
F-15 with flaps and tailerons. Should I set it up like flying wing with 2 tail servos , 2 ailerons and 2 flaps? Or something else?

Another thing. I want to use 3 -way switch for flaps, not the slider. I do not like using sliders..
How I can change the middle point percentage of movement for 3 way switch? Now flaps come half down with middle setting and I want them to come down less for takeoff flaps.

Thanks!
Ceeray is offline Find More Posts by Ceeray
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:32 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed View Post
I am confused. The 6 lite has a boda already. What is the point of making your own? Is it just to create a longer antennae with a boda on it so as too get the receiving portion of the antennae a longer distance from the RX?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC