Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:18 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrock View Post
Finally I found out how it works!

And yes, I was wrong it is a variometer, but........

- rates for sink and climb rate of your glider are made audiable by beeps of the A9.
- as one cannot adjust the sound intensity of these beeps all colleagues on the airfield will complain
- in the menu SYSTEM/SENSOR/ADVANCE/VARIOMETER/SETTING one can switch the beeps off an on
- if "Sensitive "setting is on "FAST" this leads to an unaccepable noise on the airfield
- as there is [b]no/[b] voice out put of sinking and climbing with the HTS-Voice one cant use a headset
- although the variometer shows a correct altitude on the A9 the HTS-Voice needs a reset of the altitude before flying to report the correct altitude ! Why?

I would be much better if we could switch off the beeps on the A9 and have ounlky a sound output from the variometer on the HTS voice and use a headset.

Juergen
Damn..

I sure hope that you can asign a switch to turn it on/off ?
Best option would be a 3-way switch: off/low/high (volume)

Don't have the sensors yet so I can't see any available settings.

The vario beeps comming of the A9 is a good choice, I'm not realy interested in using the HTS-Voice. If I need extra info I think I rather opt for the HTS-iView instead..

However, no Vario volume control sounds like a bad idea.

So what are the options? I guess vario-beeps though the HTS-iView will not work either (optional use with a volume controlled headphone on iPhone)

How hard would it be to hack a (switching) audio-out jack on the internal speaker and use that with a headphone?
Maybe use a small iPod speaker/amplifier with volume control and attach that on the handle or back of the A9.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:26 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Hitec Aurora 9 - Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up. - & Data Transfer A9<>A9 etc.
- Also covers Eclipse 7 Pro & other Hitec RCD transmitters.

Between an A9 and an Optic 6 Sport, a cross wired stereo type cable must be used.
("4. DIY Cable - Do Not cross wire " a typo left in during last edit, corrected tks.)
Caution with Optic Sport 2.4Ghz, a firmware upgrade may be needed, refer
. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Comparison Charts, Updates & FAQ
extract
05Mar2012:
. Optic 6 Sport 2.4 - Firmware update V1.02(0)
<snip>
- Refine Trainer function"

- "master" is used by Instructor
- "slave" is used by student
It does not matter whether the Aurora or the Optic Sport is used as the master or slave.
The transmitter which is bound to the transceiver/receiver, in the model, must be the master.

See also sub Section "Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes, Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan T.
Thanks Alan,

I have the latest firmware on the Optic 6 Sport (and A9) so I'll just order the crossed Hitec #58320 TRAINER CABLE (between 6 cell transmitter battery systems)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:23 AM
Iceland
Joined Jul 2004
36 Posts
I hope Aurora 9X will be available in black as Aurora 9. Much better than chrome.
agbjarn is offline Find More Posts by agbjarn
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:28 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,406 Posts
Chrome means "expensive"
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:15 AM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Damn..

I sure hope that you can asign a switch to turn it on/off ?
Best option would be a 3-way switch: off/low/high (volume)

Don't have the sensors yet so I can't see any available settings.

The vario beeps comming of the A9 is a good choice, I'm not realy interested in using the HTS-Voice. If I need extra info I think I rather opt for the HTS-iView instead..

However, no Vario volume control sounds like a bad idea.

So what are the options? I guess vario-beeps though the HTS-iView will not work either (optional use with a volume controlled headphone on iPhone)

How hard would it be to hack a (switching) audio-out jack on the internal speaker and use that with a headphone?
Maybe use a small iPod speaker/amplifier with volume control and attach that on the handle or back of the A9.

First I want to thank everyone for all their help in getting me up to speed in programming my A9 with my glider. I have the Winged Shadow Thermal Scout and How High Altimeter. I have the HTS voice and have the pack voltage and altitude spoken. I put the vario on a switch and it is the tone from the transmitter that signals lift. You can adjust the sensitivity to lift and of course can turn it off. When at the field I do like others have suggested here and turn it on while scouting the sky using a search pattern after determining where I think there may be lift. When in lift I turn it off, also when in lift I practice flying right through it, turning the vario off and going back and finding the lift without the vario, just watching the glider. All these things are certainly helping me and thanks to all here that comment.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:17 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
Winged Shadow How High Altimeter is/does the same as the HTS-VM Variometer Sensor?

I've looked at it on the Winged Shadow website, read that: * Hitec: Plugs into any Hitec "Sensor Station"

So what's the differents, I do know that the HTS_VM needs the 'Advance' sensor station.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:36 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Winged Shadow How High Altimeter is/does the same as the HTS-VM Variometer Sensor?

I've looked at it on the Winged Shadow website, read that: * Hitec: Plugs into any Hitec "Sensor Station"

So what's the differents, I do know that the HTS_VM needs the 'Advance' sensor station.
I can't speak to the HTS_VM as I do not have one. But the How High Altimeter only indicates your altitude, the thermal scout is the vario and indicates lift. You looked at the website but here's a link http://www.wingedshadow.com/products.html. I do have both sensors plugged into the blue sensor station and really like the voice for altitude and battery pack. I set the battery pack to 3.4 volts/cell today due to the cold, when the alarm sounded and I landed the battery showed 34% remaining and 3.8 volts per cell. Difference in voltage due to being under load I'm assuming.

I just got back from testing everything. Light wind, -6C, great flying. Up to 600 feet today, experimented with camber/reflex. Altimeter and thermal scout working great, A9 working great. Still had almost a 30 minute flight with 5 run ups. Happy customer with all products.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:57 PM
Joined Apr 2010
31 Posts
I´m having a problem with scan mode.
- I bind in normal mode, servo works
- when i try to change to scan mode, the module red led stays on, blue led blinks, one beep, red led goes out, blue led stays on
- receiver Optima 9 red led on
- turn off radio and receiver
- turn on radio and receiver
- red led on module and receiver
- servo moves slow, stop, moves...

I tried with another receiver optima 7; same problem
The radio, module and receivers have the latest upgrade.

Do i have a problem with radio or module?
XYZBYE is offline Find More Posts by XYZBYE
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:39 PM
CA
Joined Feb 2004
430 Posts
No, you have a problem with the operator.
canavanbob is online now Find More Posts by canavanbob
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:07 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZBYE View Post
I´m having a problem with scan mode.
- I bind in normal mode, servo works
- when i try to change to scan mode, the module red led stays on, blue led blinks, one beep, red led goes out, blue led stays on
- receiver Optima 9 red led on
- turn off radio and receiver
- turn on radio and receiver
- red led on module and receiver
- servo moves slow, stop, moves...
I tried with another receiver optima 7; same problem
The radio, module and receivers have the latest upgrade.
Do i have a problem with radio or module?
If all your units have been updated to the latest firmware, then the old scan mode
has been superceded by scan Function, refer ID-Setup
update 13Oct 2012:
. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Spectra Module V3.01(0),
Optima Transceiver 6, 7 & 9ch V2.02(0) & Minima Receivers - quick reference.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:32 AM
Joined Apr 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canavanbob View Post
No, you have a problem with the operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
If all your units have been updated to the latest firmware, then the old scan mode
has been superceded by scan Function, refer ID-Setup
update 13Oct 2012:
. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Spectra Module V3.01(0),
Optima Transceiver 6, 7 & 9ch V2.02(0) & Minima Receivers - quick reference.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
This radio is from a friend of mine. My radio is a Futaba 8FGS.
I am teaching him to fly. After more than 30 flights with my futaba 8FGS, i changed to the aurora, and as soon as i take-off and trimmed the plane it went into fail safe. No other radio was on in the field.
The radio was on, the receiver battery shows 5.5V on screen.
It's was the very first time the aurora was flying. I'm a little afraid to fly again.
I'll do the new bind process at night and give a new try.
Hope it works.

PS: Thank you very much AT for your help.
XYZBYE is offline Find More Posts by XYZBYE
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZBYE View Post
This radio is from a friend of mine. My radio is a Futaba 8FGS.
I am teaching him to fly. After more than 30 flights with my futaba 8FGS, i changed to the aurora, and as soon as i take-off and trimmed the plane it went into fail safe.
No other radio was on in the field.
The radio was on, the receiver battery shows 5.5V on screen.
It's was the very first time the aurora was flying. I'm a little afraid to fly again.
I'll do the new bind process at night and give a new try. Hope it works.
"The radio was on, the receiver battery shows 5.5V on screen."
The signal reporting that voltage is sent 3 times/second and may not have been the voltage at time failsafe was entered.

Whenever an event occurs, depress the battery icon which will open the main battery sensor screen.
Battery sensor screen page 1/3 shows the Maximum and Minimum battery levels during the flight.
Very handy for checking current draw during flight as any spikes will be revealed and servos/leads etc can be re-checked.
. Aurora 9 - Warning Alarms Battery types, Voltage Level Interpretation & Consumption.
.""Battery Low Voltage Alarm1. Voltage alarm may or may not sound on Aurora when RX/Power battery is disconnected.
This is because the telemetry cycles about 3 times/second. Sometimes when the battery is unplugged, it will sense the voltage drop
and the warning will kick in, but sometimes it won't

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:06 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
...FBL RX: It's too early to talk about this but it is my goal to have a telemetry based version as well for those that are not as concerned about latency. Again, the 9X is twice as fast with the current Optima than the A9 so there is still a gain.

Mike.
A one wire Optima with telemetry and half the latency, would be excellent. Even with the current latency, it would be great.

Did you say you were going to post some screen shots?
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:10 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Would it be at least possible to have a software update or alternative firmware to choose for the Optima receivers so we could have them output a combined PPM stream on channel 1? This alone would interest so many heli pilots such as myself. I would buy more Optima receivers if this option was available. I don't notice the latency at my level. If Justin Jee can fly at his level without noticing the latency, I have a long road ahead before I will notice it.

To summarize: Please give us ANY receiver with telemetry and a single line protocol.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:31 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
766 Posts
Multiplex/Hitec video.. Notis the 2 red recievers at the bottem, and no view of the A9X

Hitec starts at 4:38 min.

MULTIPLEX / HiTEC Neuheiten Spielwarenmesse Nürnberg 2013 (7 min 22 sec)