760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
Modulations

9x-> AFHSS/SLT
9->AFHSS/PPM/QPCM

Is PPM going away for the 9x?
Its a built in Tx module.
Why would you need PPM/QPCM ..?..............
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:56 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
Its a built in Tx module.
Why would you need PPM/QPCM ..?..............
ohhhh I didn't catch the built in module part. I was thinking of PPM like with an existing module I use on the A9.
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:08 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
3. SLT: This is built in and selectable. With this protocol being open, any manufacturer could offer models compatible with it.
Cool! If its an open spec, have you got the protocol spec and documentation that can be put up?

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:12 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Simon's receivers, the HK Minima-8 and HK Minima-5 support FBL quite nicely in conjunction with the native Aurora radio protocols.
If I read what Mike has said, its interesting to see that the new Maxima receivers (this is actually what I wanted to call the 5/8 channel receivers originally) that are low latency, for helis, won't be supporting telemetry.

Rest assured, once I can get my hands on a set, it won't be kept in one piece for long!

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:10 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,880 Posts
Quote:
d. New Maxima RX's (Non Telemetry) have a 7ms frame which outputs all channels simultaneously for the absolute minimum latency. (FBL version in the works)
Thanks for your post, Mike. I think it's a nice step forward.

I'm just very surprised that they are going to sell it with non telemetry Rx's. The telemetry of the A9 was one of the biggest draw cards for me, when I was looking to buy.

Also a FBL version without telemetry is of no interest to me. With telemetry, I'd be in like a shot, upgrading several of my helis.

Will a FBL Optima version be made available?
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:17 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I like these things

3. SLT: This is built in and selectable. With this protocol being open, any manufacturer could offer models compatible with it.

4. Head tracking: The 9X will support this.

and the improved latency is nice but i never had an issue with what it was.
OOOH, could this become the FM/PPM of the 2.4 world where can mix and match receiver brands? That could be cool!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:21 PM
I do RVP
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Dec 2008
465 Posts
That's good news Mike. Especially on the headtracking support.

With regard to having more than 9 channels, there really is a use for it. The best way to implement it is to have the first 8 channels occupy most of the band and operate at "high speed". Then use the remaining 9th channel and the rest of the bandwidth be multiplexed into several logical channels -- maybe 6 or more. These "low speed" channels are great for many important non-speed sensitive functions of course. Small list would be:
  • Landing gear up/down
  • Flaps
  • Bomb drop (one or more)
  • Autopilot mode select (position hold, altitude hold, RTH)
  • Camera shutter
  • Camera pan/tilt/roll
  • Scale RC lights
  • Scale doors

I'm doing FPV and have exceeded 9 channels easily and these are "auxiliary" non-core flight functions.

Even if these low speed channels operated at a staggering long 250ms, it wouldn't be a problem. In theory, the 9th channel could be multiplexed into an infinite number of channels just the latency would linearly increase. Imagine marketing a radio wirh an unlimited amount of channels!

This way is good because everyone is happy. 3D enthusiasts get the speed unhampered while FPV/AP/scale enthusiasts get their channels! Go Hitec!
WEREE is online now Find More Posts by WEREE
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:28 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,196 Posts
Price and availability will be announced in the near future.

The system will be sold in a few different configurations. The Maxima Rx is for those that are looking for the absolute lowest latency. The original A9 will not be compatible with the Maxima.

Another feature is auto switch select which sets the switch by moving it when in the menu.

The toggle switch does also work as on only when held when selected for the timer.

Flight counter: Counts the flights on a particular model by either power on, switch, or timer.

SLT: Compatible with any TX-R model made by G.P. or any company that utilizes the protocol which we expect to expand significantly. Hitec will not offer a stand alone SLT RX but future BnF "Hitec" branded models (Many more planned) will utilize it thus keeping the cost down.

I'll post some screen shots of some of the new things shortly.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:39 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,142 Posts
Quote:
Price and availability will be announced in the near future.

The system will be sold in a few different configurations. The Maxima Rx is for those that are looking for the absolute lowest latency. The original A9 will not be compatible with the Maxima.

Another feature is auto switch select which sets the switch by moving it when in the menu.

The toggle switch does also work as on only when held when selected for the timer.

Flight counter: Counts the flights on a particular model by either power on, switch, or timer.

SLT: Compatible with any TX-R model made by G.P. or any company that utilizes the protocol which we expect to expand significantly. Hitec will not offer a stand alone SLT RX but future BnF "Hitec" branded models (Many more planned) will utilize it thus keeping the cost down.

I'll post some screen shots of some of the new things shortly.

Mike.
Price: please don't scare my donkey!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:40 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Simon's receivers, the HK Minima-8 and HK Minima-5 support FBL quite nicely in conjunction with the native Aurora radio protocols.
+1 I love mine!
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:46 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Disappointing.

I'd thought Hitec would have learnt by now that its a really bad idea not offering backwards compatibility - even if the A9 doesn't support the lower latency, the receiver should still function with it.

So if you have both a 9X and say a A9/O6/E7/etc - but you don't want to use the particular model on the 9X that day, you'd have to change out the receiver - rather than just rebinding.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:50 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
Quote:
the toggle switch does also work as on only when held when selected for the timer.
Yay
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:10 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,628 Posts
Quote:
What about telemetry? Doesn't look like the FBL RXs that are coming support it either. Did I understand that right Mike?
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:10 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
What about telemetry? Doesn't look like the FBL RXs that are coming support it either. Did I understand that right Mike?
Doesn't look like it.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:32 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Disappointing.

I'd thought Hitec would have learnt by now that its a really bad idea not offering backwards compatibility - even if the A9 doesn't support the lower latency, the receiver should still function with it.

So if you have both a 9X and say a A9/O6/E7/etc - but you don't want to use the particular model on the 9X that day, you'd have to change out the receiver - rather than just rebinding.

Si.
Why on earth would you own both an A9 and A9X?? And then why use them interchangeably?

Sure, it's a limitation, but not one I care too much about. If I want the new feature that requires upgraded hardware on the TX end, then I'll get a A9X and sell the A9. The only place I see broken compatibility is losing support for a Spek or 72MHz module.

What I'm really disappointed about is the fact that apparently SLT/Maxima doesn't do telemetry. An open telemetry standard is the streets-are-paved-with-gold dream for me. That would mean super cheap telem RX from Si (without needing its own FCC cert).
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996