HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:05 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerMika View Post
It cannot be too difficult to negotiate a different mode at bind time. Even though the old transceivers cannot do this, the situation can easily be detected by the new tx. Just "listen to the new protocol, if not available, bind the old way". No reason why this couldn't be different per model memory.

By the way, I think this is another thing that speaks against a fixed instead of detachable module. If a new communication mode requires more than can be defined in software, just offer new modules.

Mika
I think the problem with modules is that they have to use a common communication protocol, usually the old PPM stream this means that the latency and speed is governed by this so the manufacturers end up with a radio that can accept 3rd party modules but lose boasting rights on latency and resolution etc

Look what happened on the MPX Royal Pro when they did a firmware upgrade to enable the M Link modules it lost the ability to plug 3rd party modules in, but you got greater resolution, reduced latency and also integrated telemetry.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:09 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I think the problem with modules is that they have to use a common communication protocol, usually the old PPM stream this means that the latency and speed is governed by this so the manufacturers end up with a radio that can accept 3rd party modules but lose boasting rights on latency and resolution etc

Look what happened on the MPX Royal Pro when they did a firmware upgrade to enable the M Link modules it lost the ability to plug 3rd party modules in, but you got greater resolution, reduced latency and also integrated telemetry.
Ah that's rubbish that is conjured up by the manufacturers. A module is just the RF PCB section in a box with an external connector. Even though traditionally the connector outputted PPM, there is no reason why they couldn't change it to output a new protocol - such as on the original/current A9. The A9 latency was only because they don't send the data through that connector often enough.

Think of a USB/Firewire/ESATA connector that is exposed on your PC. This is capable of fast speeds with no noticeable latency.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:12 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
OK, someone explain SLT to me.

The fact that the Hobbico's Tactic/AnyLink claims SLT means nothing. Almost all 2.4 radios are now FHSS or Frequency Hopping Spread Spektrumm but we know that their radios and receivers don't mix.

So, is SLT a NEW Hitec Protocol or is it something that layers on top of the current Hitec 2.4 system?

Is this a new feature that enhances existing 2.4 systems or does it replace them?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:16 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
OK, someone explain SLT to me.

The Fact that the AnyLink claims SLT means nothing. Almost all 2.4 radios are now FHSS or Frequency Hopping Spread Spektrumm but we know that their radios and receivers don't mix.

So, is SLT a NEW Hitec Protocol or is it something that layers on top of the current Hitec 2.4 system?

Is this a new feature that enhances existing 2.4 systems or does it replace them?
SLT = Secure Link Technology.

Yer catchy name...

Just looks to be yet another protocol.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:34 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Ah that's rubbish that is conjured up by the manufacturers. A module is just the RF PCB section in a box with an external connector. Even though traditionally the connector outputted PPM, there is no reason why they couldn't change it to output a new protocol - such as on the original/current A9. The A9 latency was only because they don't send the data through that connector often enough.

Think of a USB/Firewire/ESATA connector that is exposed on your PC. This is capable of fast speeds with no noticeable latency.

Si.
Simon I agree they could, but then the 3rd party modules would either have to be compatible with every manufacturers communication protocol or the manufacturers would have to agree on a standard protocol so that any module would work, I can't see that happening, it's not in the integrated manufacturers interests to do this. The PC analogy is a good one, but that only works because there is an industry standard, the PPM system was a sort of industry standard.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:44 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Simon I agree they could, but then the 3rd party modules would either have to be compatible with every manufacturers communication protocol or the manufacturers would have to agree on a standard protocol so that any module would work, I can't see that happening, it's not in the integrated manufacturers interests to do this. The PC analogy is a good one, but that only works because there is an industry standard, the PPM system was a sort of industry standard.
It would require a large, established player to take the risk and do it. Unlikely yes. Infact as far as I can tell, the reason we had module radios was due to the FCC requirements in not allowing to change 72MHz channel by changing the crystal. Its just useful that when 2.4GHz came out, it allowed easy conversion.

It could be possible to bastardised a standard JR/Futaba type bay and connector that negotiates its protocol on startup. The single PPM pin could output either a standard PPM pulse train, or when negotiated on startup - an "enhanced" bi-directional protocol. Either the 2-way telemetry/servo data is sent through the single pin or alternatively if negotiated correctly, the spare pin previously used for the 72MHz antenna pin could be used as well to make up the 2-way link.

This way a module bay could be backwards compatibly but still offer extra, new functionality.

I can't see the established players going out on a limb doing this, as they want to lock you into their receiver product range.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:51 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Quote:
SLT = Secure Link Technology.

Yer catchy name...

Just looks to be yet another protocol.
So, is this a DSM2/DSMX type thing where the old and new radios work with the old and new receivers?

Or is this a Futaba FASST vs. Futaba FHSS where compatibilty is totaly broken?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:58 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
So, is this a DSM2/DSMX type thing where the old and new radios work with the old and new receivers?

I've just been trying to work this out.

The Hitec system uses the Texas Instruments CC2500.
The Anylink system appears to use the Nordic Semi 24L01+.

So does this transmitter use the CC2500 and 24l01+? Now there are some modes that both the CC2500 and 24l01+ could be compatible with. Without pulling apart one of them, it's hard to know.

It depends how the SLT protocol is configured. If the SLT is compatible with the CC2500, then it could be a case of a software update to the Optima's to support it. Obviously the Minima receivers have no update facility, but newer versions could support both.

I'm want to get hold of a AnyLink module to pull apart and reverse engineer, but the accompanying receivers don't appear to be available in the UK. Anyone know of any cheap sources of them in the US? Or even if anyone is selling their spare ones?

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:00 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,908 Posts
Quote:
I've just been trying to work this out.

The Hitec system uses the Texas Instruments CC2500.
The Anylink system appears to use the Nordic Semi 24L01+.

So does this transmitter use the CC2500 and 24l01+? Now there are some modes that both the CC2500 and 24l01+ could be compatible with. Without pulling apart one of them, it's hard to know.

It depends how the SLT protocol is configured. If the SLT is compatible with the CC2500, then it could be a case of a software update to the Optima's to support it. Obviously the Minima receivers have no update facility, but newer versions could support both.

I'm want to get hold of a AnyLink module to pull apart and reverse engineer, but the accompanying receivers don't appear to be available in the UK. Anyone know of any cheap sources of them in the US? Or even if anyone is selling their spare ones?

Si.
Si, do you want an any link tax module?
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:

you will still be able to use all your current hitec receivers but will also have the option of selecting the SLT protocol so you can bind with all the tx-ready planes offered from Hobbico. Saves hitec the headache of having to design and produce micro receivers and helps hobbico with catching up to the horizon BNF stuff
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:15 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,208 Posts
I might just keep the dsm2/dsmx module in my current A9 and get this new A9 for my big planes/helis
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:30 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
you will still be able to use all your current hitec receivers but will also have the option of selecting the SLT protocol so you can bind with all the tx-ready planes offered from Hobbico. Saves hitec the headache of having to design and produce micro receivers and helps hobbico with catching up to the horizon BNF stuff
If that is the case, that would be outstanding!

Hitec has been working on a TX-R, BnF version of some of the Multiplex planes. They showed them at the WRAM show last Feb. But the only one I have seen make it to market is the SkyScout which replaces the EZ Star. And they have been pretty quiet about it.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...t+++&search=Go

It is available in 4 flavors.

R2Go - RTF includes Hitec radio

H2Go - BnF for your Hitec Radio

P2Go - PnP so you can put in any receiver

Kit so you add your own stuff and build it.

They showed others, including the new version of the Easy Glider Pro, but it doesn't seem to have made it to the USA and may never have been released. At least Tower doesn't have it.

The SkyScout has been out for a while but there seems to be Zero buzz about it. Appears to be a case of Stealth Marketing.

I was pretty excited about this line but, alas, Hitec let me down. Hitec owners in my club have been buying Spektrum radios for the HH BnF line. Many of those could have been Hitec sales.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:09 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Si, do you want an any link tax module?
That would be awesome!

I would say PM me, but I just need to clear out some of my PM's....

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:16 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,908 Posts
Quote:
That would be awesome!

Si.
Send me your e mail address by pm and we go from there.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:39 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,908 Posts
Quote:
That would be awesome!

Si.
Check your e mail-the ole donk just sent you some!