652 Posts
Ahhh sheet better start savin my pennies
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:42 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
I can't wait! But I'll probably just stand back and watch, and only get one if it turns out to be good. Maybe sell my optic 6, and use the A9 as my buddybox radio
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:44 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,252 Posts
I'm going to just stick with mine. From what I was told the difference in the new radio will be so small you could hardly tell. Heli flyers are mainly what the new radio is aimed at. I would have liked more channels (12) and maybe a blue station/telemetry built into a new receiver. Of course, the new receiver couldn't be much bigger then the current 9 channel. Maybe a mini gimble on the back of the transmitter for aerial photography/FPV camera tilt pan.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:08 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
The heli flyer does need a little attention on the new radio... s-bus, sats or a nice gyro/RX that has ability close to the vbar or AR7200bx and will be able to run telemetry through. Some improved user interface would be awesome... its pretty good now but ease of use could always be improved.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:33 AM
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Joined May 2002
220 Posts
Satellites would be great...
bastun is offline Find More Posts by bastun
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:05 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastun View Post
Satellites would be great...
... or not.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:06 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,178 Posts
Sputnik.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
... or not.
You must not fly helis?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:50 AM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2003
265 Posts
Satellites=Red Haired Stepchild

Greg
OldRookie is offline Find More Posts by OldRookie
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
Quote:
Satellites=Red Haired Stepchild

Greg
OK now your acting like your 5... Satellites would allow you to hook up to most of the top FBL controllers without the added wires (more bulletproof IMO with less fail points, not to mention easier, cleaner installs) or the need of a full size RX in conjunction with the FBL controller. So keep the narrow mind if you want... But it will help sell the new TX in the heli community. Therefore creating more capital for other improvements.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:21 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
OK now your acting like your 5... Satellites would allow you to hook up to most of the top FBL controllers without the added wires (more bulletproof IMO with less fail points, not to mention easier, cleaner installs) or the need of a full size RX in conjunction with the FBL controller. So keep the narrow mind if you want... But it will help sell the new TX in the heli community. Therefore creating more capital for other improvements.
I think there is some confusion on the terms, as your not really using it as a satellite receiver, just as a standard receiver - as your only using one of them. A satellite receiver implies multiple receiving units that interface to one central receiver - in an aid to improve reception coverage. IMO, not necessary when you can use a multi-antenna set-up available on most receivers now.

A standard receiver capable of outputting SBus or PPM (or even the Spektrum Satellite format) is what your after and would be more effective. Using a Spektrum satellite on their own don't allow them to be positioned optimally as they only have short antenna on them - especially around carbon fibre frames. Also (I believe) they have no antenna diversity - only one antenna (the two wires make up the single antenna), so can't choose the optimum antenna to receive from.

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I think there is some confusion on the terms, as your not really using it as a satellite receiver, just as a standard receiver - as your only using one of them. A satellite receiver implies multiple receiving units that interface to one central receiver - in an aid to improve reception coverage. IMO, not necessary when you can use a multi-antenna set-up available on most receivers now.

A standard receiver capable of outputting SBus or PPM (or even the Spektrum Satellite format) is what your after and would be more effective. The Spektrum satellites have short antennas that don't allow them to be positioned optimally - especially around carbon fibre frames. Also (I believe) they have no antenna diversity, so can't choose the optimum antenna to receive from.

Si.
The two sats I have plugged into my vbar get clear of the frame well. They have short antennas but the leads allow proper placement. As far as diversity... the left antenna is the primary and that is the one you get clear from the frame. Either the S-bus and sat format is what I am looking for and been mentioning... with a way to get clear on either side of the frame like I was able to do with the Optima 9, but with a lot less wires. If you look at my post at 9:08PM last night I included this option.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:11 PM
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Joined May 2002
220 Posts
I admit - "satellite" is wrong term.
Quote:
standard receiver capable of outputting SBus or PPM (or even the Spektrum Satellite format) is what your after and would be more effective.
Yes, that kind of receiver I'm waiting for. Almost all FBL units support Spectrum satellites and SBUS. And Spectrum satellite is cheaper than full receiver and that makes even more sense in using FBL.

BTW: why Spectrum satellite is so cheap in comparison wit full receiver ?
bastun is offline Find More Posts by bastun
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:19 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastun View Post
BTW: why Spectrum satellite is so cheap in comparison wit full receiver ?
Why is a OrangeRX so much cheaper than an equivalent Spektrum receiver? Or why is a AR400 cheaper than a AR600, even though it just has a couple of extra connectors, etc, etc.

Like any company, they will charge as much as the market will accept.
RCG Plus Member