HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:26 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Spc

Maybe I'm missing something but just want to see if I understand this. I do want to monitor pack voltage so it seems like a good idea to wire the connector provided from the battery (other side of the battery connector, not the battery directly) to the SPC slot and power the receiver this way. That way I measure the pack voltage and the servos are powered through the BEC in the ESC.
Seems to me like this is a good thing because if the servos do manage to put a heavy drain on the BEC it's not providing power directly to the receiver. That is coming directly from the battery. So less chance of a brown out?

So I'm looking for what the advantages and disadvantages are in using the SPC to power the receiver. I'm seeing the positives but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for any help on this.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:07 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
no negative, the best part is you can monitor the voltage from the radio and set a low voltage alarm.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:39 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,779 Posts
About the only negative is that you have to connect a lead from the battery side of the ESC and run it to the rx. But here's a tip. You only have to run a wire from the positive terminal, as the ground is already connected through the BEC.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:17 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,463 Posts
For something like .89 HK will sell you the Deans with the jst coming off it. You just plug it in between the battery and esc and change the jst to a servo plug.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:46 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdl1 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but just want to see if I understand this.
I do want to monitor pack voltage so it seems like a good idea to wire the connector provided from the battery
(other side of the battery connector, not the battery directly) to the SPC slot and power the receiver this way.
That way I measure the pack voltage and the servos are powered through the BEC in the ESC.
Seems to me like this is a good thing because if the servos do manage to put a heavy drain on the BEC
it's not providing power directly to the receiver.
That is coming directly from the battery. So less chance of a brown out?
So I'm looking for what the advantages and disadvantages are in using the SPC to power the receiver.
I'm seeing the positives but maybe I'm missing something.
Thanks for any help on this.
1. No negatives.
2. Existing Schematics and Photos which will assist:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC connection & Lead FAQ for EP & GP models

More information available under the Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features [SIZE="1"]
- Mixes, Setups, Tips.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:21 AM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
I thought as much. Thanks all for the quick replies and tips. Will install the cable.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,243 Posts
So this has bugged me for a while... what's up with the super slow updates to the Hitec website? The Minima 6L and Minima 6S were announced back in Dec and are in the what's new section in the recent issue of FlyRC. Still no sign of them anywhere on the Hitec website. Same story for the H4 charger. That was in the magazines over a month ago. I know we can't buy them yet, but shouldn't there be something one the website?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:29 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
So this has bugged me for a while... what's up with the super slow updates to the Hitec website? The Minima 6L and Minima 6S were announced back in Dec and are in the what's new section in the recent issue of FlyRC. Still no sign of them anywhere on the Hitec website. Same story for the H4 charger. That was in the magazines over a month ago. I know we can't buy them yet, but shouldn't there be something one the website?
The Hitec Minima 6S is available from this side of the pond already. Same company as the one that has the cheap Aurora offer from the other day - http://www.airtekhobbies.com/minimas.html

Quote:
Budget busting Park fly range version of the Minima T, the Minima S offers staggering value for money. Offering a 1200 feet (365 meters) clear site range this is the ideal receiver for Park Flyers.
Why risk it with a budget clone when you can get a genuine Hitec for this money - outstanding!
That last paragraph made me chuckle! I don't know what clones they are talking about though, there are no clones...
I like to think this is Hitec's reaction to a certain compatible receiver out there. However considering how long it takes Hitec to get to market, I suspect these were designed and envisaged well before the compatibles were out in the general market place!

It surprised me that they're park flyer range though. If anyone gets one, I'd be interested to see a picture of the PCB and see if they have excluded the LNA (Low Noise Amplifier) - hence make it park flyer range.

Interestingly, I checked Tower Hobbies the other day and they had them listed as not arrived yet.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:48 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,243 Posts
Simon I still find it kind of puzzling that the "park flyer" is the one with the full plastic case while the full range has the lexan case. Seems backwards, or at minimum they should both have the lexan case.

Be curious to know what's actually different that makes the Minima S shorter range. They never show the antennas in the photos. Is it a different chip? Either way find it hard to believe the manufacturing cost is that different.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:01 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,526 Posts
Quote:
Simon I still find it kind of puzzling that the "park flyer" is the one with the full plastic case while the full range has the lexan case. Seems backwards, or at minimum they should both have the lexan case.

Be curious to know what's actually different that makes the Minima S shorter range. They never show the antennas in the photos. Is it a different chip? Either way find it hard to believe the manufacturing cost is that different.
looks like the same size and case as the minima 6T
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:41 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
939 Posts
Quote:

On the RF Chipset that Hitec and others use (the TI CC2500), usually the difference between full range and park flyer range is a little chip called a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA). The LNA is exactly that, a amplifer that boosts the incoming signal so the receiver is more sensitive.

Here is a picture of the LNA on my Hitec Minima 6T:

The Purple square is the Microcontroller (does the computing) and RF IC - the Minima uses one chip for both, unlike a lot of other receivers that use two separate ICs. The Blue box is the antenna switch, to allow the Microcontroller decide which antenna to use. The Green box is the LNA (Low Noise Amplifer) to boost the incoming signal. The Red lines is the path that the 2.4GHz signal can travel.

So I would expect the Minima 6S to not have the LNA on its PCB.

Price difference?
Well lets choose a typical LNA suitable for 2.4GHz, the RF Micro Devices SGL-0622.
Current prices:
Code:
Qty	[Price for each part]
1+	$0.65
100+	$0.58
750+	$0.55
You'll also need to add the cost of the extra RF matching components and the cost of placing it on the board. So you could safely add $1 to the build cost.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SimonChambers; Jan 24, 2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture, oops!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
<snip>
You'll also need to add the cost of the extra RF matching components and the cost of placing it on the board. So you could safely add $1 to the build cost.
Si
Simplistic and confusing to those who have not worked within the industry "office".
Will not bring up past posts on the subject at this time, but factory overheads and distribution costs
do add a very much greater cost than the components.

Alan T.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:22 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
365 Posts
Hey Simon,

Loving your technical posts, something that was lacking in this forum, you know stuff that rcmodelreviews could not answer...

Do you have any info on:
-sensitivity of the optima rx's?
-the ceramic bandpass filter/s in the optima rx's

Thanks
Bingo
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Simon I still find it kind of puzzling that the "park flyer" is the one
with the full plastic case while the full range has the lexan case.
Seems backwards, or at minimum they should both have the lexan case.
Be curious to know what's actually different that makes the Minima S shorter range.
They never show the antennas in the photos.
Is it a different chip? Either way find it hard to believe the manufacturing cost is that different.
Hitec Transceivers and Receivers.
The only unit with a Lexan case is the Optima 6 lite.
An unplanned "special" of a standard Optima 6. This in response to the many requests after the
Optima 6, 7 & 8 were released for a "Lite" unit pending release of the Minima.
. Optima Receivers - Light Weight. Optima_6 LITE Transceiver, Minima 6E, 6T & 6L Lite Micro Receivers...
extract:
. DIY "Lite" Conversion of Optima 6 by Mike Mayberry.
The 7 & 9 can also be lightened in a similar manner but surely not necessary in the planes they will be used in.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:45 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Simplistic and confusing to those who have not worked within the industry "office".
Will not bring up past posts on the subject at this time, but factory overheads and distribution costs
do add a very much greater cost than the components.

Alan T.
Factory overheads and distribution have almost nothing to do with this particular issue IMHO. They are already making and shipping the product. Adding in more more little chip is not going to increase overhead and distribution that much. OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt; the parts and labor cost $1, even if the overhead and distribution tripled that cost, you are still looking at only $3 more per unit.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC