HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:36 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
it was simply due to them not having to pay for spektrum royalties anymore by going with their own protocol
Huh? Are they not the same company??
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:37 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
Go to the dual rates / expo page, under the "model" tab, change the switch to switch "E" and then move the switch to each of the positions and programme as much movement as you want.

It's exactly the same as a usual dual rate setting, except you change the switch allocation to "E"
VK, You are the man. Much appreciated. Tom
tdab is online now Find More Posts by tdab
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:40 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Huh? Are they not the same company??
Nope, Spektrum is owned by Horizon Hobby...they do not own JR, JR is its own company
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 AM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
Nope, Spektrum is owned by Horizon Hobby...they do not own JR, JR is its own company
JR is a susdiary of Horizon Hobby, Spectrum is a wholly owned name brand for HH radio equipment.
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:01 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuejim View Post
JR is a susdiary of Horizon Hobby, Spectrum is a wholly owned name brand for HH radio equipment.
No, JR Propo is a separate company to Horizon. Horizon own the rights to use the name in the US and is a distributor.

In the UK we have MacGregor as the JR distributor and still have Horizon as a separate distributor entity.

See Andy Kunz post on this (a Spektrum developer).

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:44 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,252 Posts
its like Futaba and Hobbico. Hobbico is the US distributor but futaba is its own company. Hence the reason hobbico came up with anylink for their BNF models
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:33 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
907 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I did not mean to imply that an inbuilt module would be needed for improved latency, only that that would be the outcome of the transmitter design changes.
I think the old modules will NOT be up datable to the new protocols, because that would sabotage their new product. Why upgrade to a new TX if the old one could be updated. Does not make commercial sense, anyway the old hardware may not be compatible with the protocol changes. For faster data they will need wider bandwidth, similar to DSMX.

Personally I don't think Latency is a problem, its only the "must have's" who want it, so I think this new Tx will be at least 50% higher in price, as will be the matching receivers.

I just hope the old A9 does not get let to wither and die, as its still far from a finished project.
I would be very surprised if the old hardware didn't work, after all if they keep with the CC2500 RF chipset, its just down to code. Hitec actually use one of the fastest data rates of a RC protocol I've seen - around ~250kbaud. Which is a lot higher than frsky and futaba s-fhss.

The easiest way to reduce the latency is speed up the rate at which the packets are sent. At the moment it sends 4 identical packets in a ~20ms frame. Where as Futaba send 2 packets in a 6ms frame. Thus they do have much lower latency.

But yes, I feel Latency is a issue made bigger than it really needs to be. However it makes a could selling point!

Also it wouldn't make sense to have the older models support the lower latency, as after all, Hitec make a lot of money (maybe more?) from the receivers. So they would be more interested in selling more of them. Anyway there are plenty of people who want to buy the latest transmitters when they are released!

However we're getting beyond ourselves. It's only a rumour still (albeit strong one) and we all know that even after Hitec announce it, it usually takes at least year (or two) before it's actually in the shops... !

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:49 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,354 Posts
micro usb port and sd card!! Backward compatibility and forward compatibility update or Hitec begins to lose.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:08 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I would be very surprised if the old hardware didn't work, after all if they keep with the CC2500 RF chipset, its just down to code. Hitec actually use one of the fastest data rates of a RC protocol I've seen - around ~250kbaud. Which is a lot higher than frsky and futaba s-fhss.

The easiest way to reduce the latency is speed up the rate at which the packets are sent. At the moment it sends 4 identical packets in a ~20ms frame. Where as Futaba send 2 packets in a 6ms frame. Thus they do have much lower latency.

But yes, I feel Latency is a issue made bigger than it really needs to be. However it makes a could selling point!

Also it wouldn't make sense to have the older models support the lower latency, as after all, Hitec make a lot of money (maybe more?) from the receivers. So they would be more interested in selling more of them. Anyway there are plenty of people who want to buy the latest transmitters when they are released!

However we're getting beyond ourselves. It's only a rumour still (albeit strong one) and we all know that even after Hitec announce it, it usually takes at least year (or two) before it's actually in the shops... !

Si.
I'm pretty sure Jim Drew said that a major component of the latency in the A9 was due to the how long it took the module to send the data, after it was sent from the Tx to the module (which I believe is I2C between the two). So eliminating the module would improve the latency, in this case.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:32 PM
Addicted to 3DHS.
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
3,992 Posts
I fly high energy 3D flying inches off the ground, and I can say that I do not notice any Latency issues with this radio. The only reason i think people say things about hitec having some sort of latency problem is because they are futaba fans.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I fly high energy 3D flying inches off the ground, and I can say that I do not notice any Latency issues with this radio. The only reason i think people say things about hitec having some sort of latency problem is because they are futaba fans.
Agreed... i fly 3D planes and starting to get aggressive on helis too. No issues with latency and I have flown both futaba and Spektrum to boot. I used to fly strictly futaba until they fell behind on telemetry.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:56 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu View Post
I left the battery out for a couple of hours, then I recharged overnight. I just tried to perform the 1.09 update once again. This time I watched closely. The transfer progress bar reached 44% and then went back to 0%. The transfer status line flashes every couple of seconds. It might be displaying another status for just the briefest instant, but I'm not sure. It's nothing I can read.

Once the transfer status goes back to 0%, nothing else happens. I'll try again one more time this evening. Clearly it's working to some extent. All the lights are flashing rapidly as data is transferred, but then it stops before completion.
I took my A9 over to my father's house to try updating the firmware on his computer using his HPP 22 device. Everything worked as it should. Does anyone have any idea about what would cause an update to abort part way through? Does the HPP 22 device use a fair amount of power during the update? I know the USB ports on my computer are pretty weak since they had trouble powering an external drive whereas my Linux box had no issue at all.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:53 PM
Addicted to 3DHS.
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
3,992 Posts
you know another thing I notice about people who say they can tel a 20 ms difference. They have there sticks tight, and are using analog servos. Also the only people who ever seem to mention it are Team Futaba pilots who make a big deal out of it as a selling point. I believe people are experiencing a placebo effect: they expect to notice a difference between the two radios so they do.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
you know another thing I notice about people who say they can tel a 20 ms difference. They have there sticks tight, and are using analog servos. Also the only people who ever seem to mention it are Team Futaba pilots who make a big deal out of it as a selling point. I believe people are experiencing a placebo effect: they expect to notice a difference between the two radios so they do.
LOL... they get the more locked in feel, right.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:09 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,020 Posts
Quote:
SD cards are so last decade. ....

Seriously, how are you going to reprogram the receivers, telemetry station, as well as possible new mA sensors with an SD card. The USB box is the only sensible system.

You cant put a card reader in every module and receiver.......
Why don't you try thinking for a moment, I am referring to the TX.
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring