HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconFlyer View Post
I doubt it's the actual controller hardware because as I mentioned the exact same problem occurs with two different Aurora 9 radion,
one of which is brand new out of the box and has never been used before.
Anyway, I'll investigate the 7955TG although I'm now reading it has jittering problems of it's own, and it's the only hitec
that can supply the torque I want for a reasonable weight.
Do you know if there is a way to adjust trims so they behave like sliders
(they don't accelerate)? Perhaps in one the hidden system menus?
Open System Menu (Icon), > [Channel] highlight the LS or RS as applicable > [SEL] >
opens [Channel Control Selection] > highlight LT, CT or RT as preferred >[SET] and return to main screen.
The servo will then be controlled , similar to a slider, by the LT, CT or RT as selected.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined May 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Open System Menu (Icon), > [Channel] highlight the LS or RS as applicable > [SEL] >
opens [Channel Control Selection] > highlight LT, CT or RT as preferred >[SET] and return to main screen.
The servo will then be controlled , similar to a slider, by the LT, CT or RT as selected.

Alan T.
Thanks, Alan. I was asking if the LT/CT/RT could be made to behave linearly interms of their trim step acceleration i.e. when holding those trims, instead of slowly stepping at first and then speeding up, they would just step at a constant interval...if that can be done I can use them instead of a slider. I tried to fiddle around with P.Mixes between an LT/CT/RT channel and another switch channel and reduced the accelaration to -100% so that the channel output would react slower to the LT/CT/RT behavior and evening out it's acceleration, but that didn't do anything.
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Nov 2008
37 Posts
Lt ct rt

LT CT RT. Could someone explain the practical applications of these switches?

Mervin Friesen
Friesen 5 is offline Find More Posts by Friesen 5
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I use em on my multi rotors for adjusting gains.... On my radian pro it trims my flaps when i go into crow
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesen 5 View Post
LT CT RT. Could someone explain the practical applications of these switches?

Mervin Friesen
Whenever you set up a mix such as one for knife edge, you can set up the LT switch for example to effect adjustment for rudder. So while in flight you put you plane in knife edge and decide you need more rudder or less rudder, you can use the LT switch to adjust it. You don't have to land and navigate through the menu's to change the setting for rudder.. That is just one example. Those three switches can be use for many different functions.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
Whenever you set up a mix such as one for knife edge, you can set up the LT switch for example to effect adjustment for rudder. So while in flight you put you plane in knife edge and decide you need more rudder or less rudder, you can use the LT switch to adjust it. You don't have to land and navigate through the menu's to change the setting for rudder.. That is just one example. Those three switches can be use for many different functions.
Once you finished getting your KE mix just right, do you then turn off the LT switch adjustment capability?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Hello everybody,
I'm trying to control a camera gimbal with my Aurora 9 slider controls, for some reason and with high torque hi res digital servos(e.g. Spektrum A9030), I'm getting strange twiches on the servo, this is only when the control is either RS or LS, all other swirchtes and sticks produce no such effect. I have a spare brand new Aurora 9 still in the box and it behaves the exact same way...so it's not dirty pots or anything... Any ideas on how to solve this?
Is the problem also occurring if you remove the slider ratchet? Also, is the twitch very slight or significant?
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined May 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
Is the problem also occurring if you remove the slider ratchet? Also, is the twitch very slight or significant?
Didn't try that but I will try to de-click it...no, the twitch is very small in magnitude
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,258 Posts
No reason for taking it out. I find that occasionally I still need some small adjustments during flight so its good to know you can make fine and small trim changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Once you finished getting your KE mix just right, do you then turn off the LT switch adjustment capability?
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:16 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,611 Posts
Thanks HI
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
Quote:
Didn't try that but I will try to de-click it...no, the twitch is very small in magnitude
Yes, completely overlooked the old problem of the ratchet causing pot to slide slightly back or forwards
as it settles into one of the many ratchet notches, see also:
. Aurora 9 - Slider DIY Centre Detente (Notch) Slider for (Aurora pre Mar10). Center/Beep out of synch with Detent Aurora post Mar2010.
picture of large nylon teeth attached.

Many users slip some thin fuel tubing over the metal ratchet defeat to smooth slider action yet retain some tension.
This similar to Heli pilots, with older Tx, as simply removing the metal tab will leave the slider to loose.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Nov 2008
37 Posts
Thanks! This is just the kind of advice I was hoping for. Would you be willing to take the time to detail a step by step to program this? I'm sure this would be helpful to a lot of Aurora users.

In my personal experimenting with this, I haven't gotten it to work as you described.

I could also see it useful to trim the elevator to keep a straight line in knife edge.

Mervin Friesen

Quote:
Friesen 5 is offline Find More Posts by Friesen 5
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined May 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Yes, completely overlooked the old problem of the ratchet causing pot to slide slightly back or forwards
as it settles into one of the many ratchet notches, see also:
. Aurora 9 - Slider DIY Centre Detente (Notch) Slider for (Aurora pre Mar10). Center/Beep out of synch with Detent Aurora post Mar2010.
picture of large nylon teeth attached.

Many users slip some thin fuel tubing over the metal ratchet defeat to smooth slider action yet retain some tension.
This similar to Heli pilots, with older Tx, as simply removing the metal tab will leave the slider to loose.

Alan T.
I tried the de-clicking procedure(both by cover the metal ratchet with tubing and by completely removing it and creating friction between the lever and the surface of the mount)...didn't make any difference.
I did some more experiments, what does seem to help is to reduce the EPA of the channel(and reduce the servo travel) it seems that the A2D converter responsible for reading these controllers is of much lower resolution than those of the main gimbals...obviously switches are either on or off so they don't jump around...but even on the monitor function, I notice the ocasional 1 pixel jump when the LS or RS contollers are stationary...increasing the reslution of the controller(range of movement vs output) by reducing the EPAs obviously helps create a deadband sort of effect...but that obviously limits the range of motion of the servo...it seems the only way to use these controllers and avoid the jumps due to lower resoution interpretation of their position(causing the jitters on the servo) without compromising the servo motion range is to increase the deadband of the servo...the spektrum I'm using unfortunately is not programable.

Can anyone think of another method to "filter" the output of a channel thus by emulating an increased servo deadband?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Oh well, you tried. It sucks that that didn't work for you.

Some digital servos are more susceptible to twitching due to RF/electrical noise in the surroundings. I experienced this with some Chinese servos quite a while back. Your best bet is to preferably use either Hitec or Futaba servos. If possible, visit your LHS to see if the issue occurs with any high torque Hitec/Futaba servos they might have in stock.

Quote:
Can anyone think of another method to "filter" the output of a channel thus by emulating an increased servo deadband?
There are other possible solutions but that level of tinkering would likely void your radio's warranty and brick it if done incorrectly.
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Last edited by aa78; Dec 24, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,611 Posts
Quote:
I worked with this today. I was able to activate the process but it did not work as I expected. I had to first putt some percentage of mix into both sides of the TX arm throw in order to get the T switch to do anything. Once I did get it to operate, it would not only me to add NO mix. It would tone the mic down or make it more pronounced, but the adjustment was way limited. It also did not allow me to push the button down for as to make the mix negative and up for as to make it positive. It only let me increase or decrease the direction it was already going.

Either it does not work well for this or I am doing something wrong?