SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,578 Posts
Try touching the antenna against some metal or carbon.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Try touching the antenna against some metal or carbon.
I do have the tip of the antenna sticking through a pin hole in the carbon, but it does have the plastic sheath around it. Your right if the bare wire touched the carbon that would likely cause issues. I use an optima 7 (single antenna) in a full carbon fuse with just the 1/2in tip of the antenna sticking out. I've been able to range test it without issues with the antenna being blocked by the carbon and my body. On previous setups I used the Optima 9 with dual antenna, so I was not sure about being able to use the single antenna, but it has been rock solid. I was trying to test the various orientation issues that I might encounter and they all checked out fine.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:57 PM
Port Augusta, Sth Australia
Joined Aug 2006
16 Posts
Hi.

Question for the more clued up than I. I am trying to set up retracts on my A9 to use switch E which is a 3 position switch. What i am after is full back = gear down, centre = up and full forward = down. this way, in any "Oh Crap" scenarios, its throw the switch any direction and gear drops. No more thinking which switch is it when you really need to be focused on more important issues.

Any ideas guys, cause myself and a friend have been trying to work our round this for ages now. In our other radios, its simple...we must be missing something here.

Greg
gregq is offline Find More Posts by gregq
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:21 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,578 Posts
Forget the three position and put a big piece of fuel tubing on the gear switch 3" long and you won't have to look. Heck you could probably yank on the tubing to lower. I use this on my radio.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoeHillFlyer View Post
Did you do the reset then exercise the sliders as well as the sticks and then center the sticks and slider and click “Center”? That’s all I can think of that might be the problem.

I have two Aurora 9s. One is Mode 1 the other is Mode 2. This is so I can do training if I want to. I just recently calibrated both transmitters to be sure they functioned exactly the same.

I first saved my models then went through the calibration process. When moving the sticks and sliders through their extremes, I moved them to the extremes slowly. I then centered the sticks and sliders and clicked “center” then completed the process and exited the calibration mode. I then reloaded the models and swapped the throttle and elevator J# on the Mode 2 transmitter. The two transmitters are so close in performance that I can switch from master to slave and there is absolutely no twitch or movement of the controls on the plane.

Good luck.

Mike
Yes, I did that. I had hoped in one of those system menus that there was a setting or calibration required preventing the acknowledgement of half the travel. I see 0-127 from the middle divet to the one extreme of travel. I would expect to see a negative value when moving the opposite direction (like the other operational) slider. I see no change in value.
Oddly where this slider registers 127 maximum, the other slider is something like +230, and -127 in the other direction. Might not mean anything though.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Transmitter and Receiver Antenna Orientation for best 2.4Ghz Reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN View Post
Both had an Optima 9 receiver - and they were 2 different receivers, i did not install the crashed one in a new model.
The antennas were pointing span wise and lengthwise, with none pointing vertically.
Both crashes happened when the models were flying downwind, almost in front of me, at medium altitude, and straight and level.
Both showed an uncontrollable right hand roll, followed by a spin.
"The antennas were pointing span wise and lengthwise"
Horizontal 90 degree is not recommended as this presents a flat plane which is more easily blocked
by engine etc on landing approach, (or "low and level coming close in") especially if Tx antenna is also in similar plane.
Given the cost users are prepared to pay RC "sport" equipment, nothing will ever provide a 100%
guarantee that Sh** will not occur sooner or later for whatever reason - even military drones go astray.

. Optima Transceiver & Minima Receiver - Installation RX & BODA Antenna FAQ {Regularly Updated with Q&A}
Shows previous recommendations to situate dual antenna so one leg is vertical with the other
horizontal. This to cover all "planes", especially for the landing approach of large models when Tx
antenna may also be held in a flat plane toward model.

Transmitter antenna orientation is highlighted in the Australian MAAA Policy on 2.4GHz equipment (.pdf)
" It is very important to consider how this technique affects the landing
as it may result in the model approaching from a position in
line with an end of the transmitter antenna, giving a greatly reduced range
• landing is a critical situation for any loss of control, as the model is low giving
no margin for recovery. A resulting crash may be near where other pilots are
standing"

. The 2-Point-4 Chronicles .pdf "You and the Tx Antenna" = pictorial pages 15 & 16 (copy attached)
. The 2-Point-4 Chronicles update
"keep the antenna perpendicular to the plane as much as possible for best results"

Replacement 2.4GHz Antenna:
. Hitec 2.4Ghz BODA Antenna search " 2.4RXANTENNA "
otherwise international 700892 but first digit may vary
. Hitec 2.4Ghz TX(Spectra) Antenna (without base) search " 2.4TXANTENNA "
. Receiver - Antenna - Original lengths & DIY Replacements for PPM & 2.4Ghz Hitec, Futaba, GWS, JR & others.
Includes pictures of 2.4Ghz antenna U_FL Connector head & base which have a maximum removal/refit of 5 times.

Alan Tong
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

[Right click RCG attachments and open in new window.
Button bottom right of IE screen (or _+icons Firefox Toolbar) enables viewing size increase upto 400% for easier reading.]
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Dec 01, 2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: attach .jpg ex Spectra manuals
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:10 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
Thanks for posting the links for me. I only visit RC Groups in the evenings mostly during the week days. Prices are within a dollar or two of Hobby Kings.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Also, the U.S. seller is a stand up guy.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
"The antennas were pointing span wise and lengthwise"
Horizontal 90 degree is not recommended as this presents a flat plane which is more easily blocked
by engine etc on landing approach, especially if Tx antenna is also in similar plane.
Given the cost users are prepared to pay RC "sport" equipment, nothing will ever provide a 100%
guarantee that Sh** will not occur sooner or later for whatever reason - even military drones go astray.

. Optima Transceiver & Minima Receiver - Installation RX & BODA Antenna FAQ {Regularly Updated with Q&A}
Shows previous recommendations to situate dual antenna so one leg is vertical with the other
horizontal, this to cover all "planes", especially for the landing approach of large models and if Tx
antenna is also being held in a flat plane toward model.

Transmitter antenna orientation is highlighted in the Australian MAAA Policy on 2.4GHz equipment (.pdf)
" It is very important to consider how this technique affects the landing
as it may result in the model approaching from a position in
line with an end of the transmitter antenna, giving a greatly reduced range
• landing is a critical situation for any loss of control, as the model is low giving
no margin for recovery. A resulting crash may be near where other pilots are
standing"

. The 2-Point-4 Chronicles .pdf "You and the Tx Antenna" = pictorial pages 15 & 16 (copy attached)
. The 2-Point-4 Chronicles update
"keep the antenna perpendicular to the plane as much as possible for best results"

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Thanks Alan, I will convert all my fleet to one vertical antenna and one horizontal. Hope it solves the problem.
An ideal solution would be for Hitec to supply an antenna extender that will allow the installation of one antenna on the vertical stabilizer, far from any metallic object such as a large engine or the landing gear.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive support on Hitec issues.
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:45 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Have these frysky modulea had any issues? I might grab an 8 channel
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:59 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN View Post
Thanks Alan, I will convert all my fleet to one vertical antenna and one horizontal. Hope it solves the problem.
An ideal solution would be for Hitec to supply an antenna extender that will allow the installation of one antenna on the vertical stabilizer, far from any metallic object such as a large engine or the landing gear.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive support on Hitec issues.
Just crack open the Rx case and fit one of the FrSky or similar extension antennas.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=46
the Rx antenna is just a snap fit RF connector the same as any 2.4ghz receiver.

Its a two minute job. You can then have the antenna where ever you want it.

If you fly large scale, why not fit on of these...http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=83 and then fit a screw on WI-FI router antenna to the top of the fuselage.

No problems with drop out or signal lose then.

VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Last edited by VideoKing; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Have these frysky modulea had any issues? I might grab an 8 channel
None that I've heard of so far, there's a thread over here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1588721

Simon Chambers did all (or most) of the engineering work and then I think he made some deal with FrSky. He initially sold one or two batches of the micros on eBay himself. Just bought them from HK and reflashed them with his software.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
I've used the 5 channel receiver for months, and love it: it fits anywhere and works great! (Si, is my check in the mail? )
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2003
269 Posts
I'm figuring that you people are only putting the Frsky receivers in EP foamys.
I would never put one of those in a plane.

Greg
OldRookie is offline Find More Posts by OldRookie
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:39 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Well, I have one in a Dumas (kit) WACO YMF and another in a Mountain Models Cessna 180 (kit): I spent many hours on building each, and have many hours flying them. Each is entirely constructed of balsa (no foam for me!).

The 5 channel has been very reliable, and unlike the Hitec products, easy to fit into small spaces!