HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
Looking for the best way to get get my flaps and ailerons mixed so I can switch between using the flaps as flaps or full span ailerons. I have all 4 servos into different channels on the O9, I just struggle with mixing in general so looking for a little help. Thanks!
. Aurora 9 - Flapperon - Flaps - Set up. (post #8 in this instance)

More "Flap" set up references available under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:57 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,368 Posts
I'm unable to update my A9. I've done the following

Disable all security settings and firewalls

Completly remove HP-22 from program files

Download new HP-22 software

Follow instructions

All I get is the A9 radio screen with the options to download to radio or computer. It's skipping the option of updating the software. Currently showing ver 1.08 in the bottom right hand corner.

This is very frustrating.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:08 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,911 Posts
Flap Servo Slowdown

Just setting up a FlyFly DG1000 Glider with my A9 (in glider option).

However I'm just having a problem with the servo slowdown for the flaps.

I can get them to slowdown going up, but not down.

The tab on the menu screen won't go down to the 'down' section (only 'up').

No problem with any of the other channels (not that I'm slowing any of them down).

And yes I've been trying to access the tab with the flap switch fully down too.

Thanks for any advice!!
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:08 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I'm unable to update my A9. I've done the following

Disable all security settings and firewalls

Completly remove HP-22 from program files

Download new HP-22 software

Follow instructions

All I get is the A9 radio screen with the options to download to radio or computer. It's skipping the option of updating the software. Currently showing ver 1.08 in the bottom right hand corner.

This is very frustrating.
You're not selecting the upgrade mode. See this video at 4:00:

V1.07 Aurora firmware update (7 min 33 sec)
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:52 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
You're not selecting the upgrade mode. See this video at 4:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TINzgHQNjiI
Thanks
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:43 AM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Thanks
j
I found that myself!!!....after quite awhile
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:33 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,911 Posts
GPS Telemetry

Maidened my FlyFly DG1000 Glider (EP) today with the Hitec GPS Telemetry Module fitted.

Gotta say what a huge advantage in finding thermals when you have the speed/altitude displayed in the "EZ" mode on the A9.

It was great watching the DG1000 climb from 700ft to 1000ft+ unassisted!!

I also found it quite easy to glance or look through the radio (to the glider) during the flight.

There was also no shortage of volunteers to call out the altitude when she was climbing up through a thermal!!

Anyway the maiden flight used only 4 minutes of lipo during a 25 minute flight.

Pretty good for a scale glider but no doubt greatly assisted to being able to refer to the telemetry data!!

Thanks Hitec!!!!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Maidened my FlyFly DG1000 Glider (EP) today with the Hitec GPS Telemetry Module fitted.

Gotta say what a huge advantage in finding thermals when you have the speed/altitude displayed in the "EZ" mode on the A9.

It was great watching the DG1000 climb from 700ft to 1000ft+ unassisted!!

I also found it quite easy to glance or look through the radio (to the glider) during the flight.

There was also no shortage of volunteers to call out the altitude when she was climbing up through a thermal!!

Anyway the maiden flight used only 4 minutes of lipo during a 25 minute flight.

Pretty good for a scale glider but no doubt greatly assisted to being able to refer to the telemetry data!!

Thanks Hitec!!!!
Buy the voice unit and an earphone and then you wont need to take your eyes off the model.

VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:18 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
Buy the voice unit and an earphone and then you wont need to take your eyes off the model.

Yeah.....but would spoil the tranquility!!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
141 Posts
Simple question, probably was already answered in the thousands of posts here:

Can I use 2 batteries, one LiFe in the SPC port to power the receiver and one LiFe in one of the servo ports to power the servos?
The model is a gasser, not electric.

Thanks
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,682 Posts
A couple of issues I am having with my system... with both a 500 and a 600 trex pro. With the 600 Optima 9 is up front... one antenna going on each side of the heli 90 degrees offset from one another. In a vertical line I spin to come down and the heli cyclic applies a quick negative and then a quick positive. The heli jumps and startles me for a second... any suggestions? Could the carbon frame cause this?
Second issue is happening with both... I have Normal, Idle 1, and Idle 2 all setup on a 3-way switch with "flight conditions" setup for each and all work great. Now I try to setup a Throttle hold... with a flight condition set for Hold I have a bad twitch (blades change pitch very quick and come back to the same pitch angle) that gets worse when further away from mid stick. Without flight condition and switch still programmed all works good (smooth when I hit hold). Tried changing hold switch with the same result. Curves are identical for all three condition above 0 degrees and only Normal is different below 0 degrees. "Idle 1" and "Idle 2" -12 to +12 and Normal -4 to +12 with pitch curves matching other then the negative side in Normal mode.
Thanks in advance
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:15 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN View Post
Simple question, probably was already answered in the thousands of posts here: Can I use 2 batteries, one LiFe in the SPC port to power the receiver and one LiFe in one of the servo ports to power the servos? The model is a gasser, not electric. Thanks
Yes. The only drawback is that you will not be able to monitor what is happening to the voltage fluctuations under varying demand by the servos.
"For nitro/gas it is always best to use a battery that is known to be able to handle the servos used (or use dual packs if needed) and then the telemetry will show exactly what is going on as it will log the lowest voltage realized durring the flight to know how well it is performing in the specific application. The first thing I do before I fly is look at this screen (simply tap the battery icon to get there) and wiggle all the sticks as quickly as possible as see what the lowest voltage drops to. This is one hige advantage to the battery telemetry being built in. Most people have no idea how low a battery can drop to under load. - Mike Mayberry"

. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installed - Avoid Brownout & Add Redundancy, even one for each servo.

Alan T.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:30 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
A couple of issues I am having with my system... with both a 500 and a 600 trex pro. With the 600 Optima 9 is up front... one antenna going on each side of the heli 90 degrees offset from one another. In a vertical line I spin to come down and the heli cyclic applies a quick negative and then a quick positive. The heli jumps and startles me for a second... any suggestions? Could the carbon frame cause this?
Second issue is happening with both... I have Normal, Idle 1, and Idle 2 all setup on a 3-way switch with "flight conditions" setup for each and all work great. Now I try to setup a Throttle hold... with a flight condition set for Hold I have a bad twitch (blades change pitch very quick and come back to the same pitch angle) that gets worse when further away from mid stick. Without flight condition and switch still programmed all works good (smooth when I hit hold). Tried changing hold switch with the same result. Curves are identical for all three condition above 0 degrees and only Normal is different below 0 degrees. "Idle 1" and "Idle 2" -12 to +12 and Normal -4 to +12 with pitch curves matching other then the negative side in Normal mode.
Thanks in advance
1. Yes, antenna orientation can cause issues, especially if against CF frame. Please refer to "Helicopter Notes" under
. Optima Transceiver & Minima Receiver - Installation RX & BODA Antenna FAQ.
2. Aurora 9 - Programming Problem? - Parameters must be set in correct order e.g. V_tail, see chart.
. Aurora 9 - Programming Chart will assist. See also:
. Aurora 9ch - Video - Helicopter Set Up - Finless Bob's Review, Tips and how To - Series.
(also full of many handy pointers for Acro and other users).
. Bob's Video Library Index.pdf

Alan T.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:39 AM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Yes. The only drawback is that you will not be able to monitor what is happening to the voltage fluctuations under varying demand by the servos.
"For nitro/gas it is always best to use a battery that is known to be able to handle the servos used (or use dual packs if needed) and then the telemetry will show exactly what is going on as it will log the lowest voltage realized durring the flight to know how well it is performing in the specific application. The first thing I do before I fly is look at this screen (simply tap the battery icon to get there) and wiggle all the sticks as quickly as possible as see what the lowest voltage drops to. This is one hige advantage to the battery telemetry being built in. Most people have no idea how low a battery can drop to under load. - Mike Mayberry"

. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installed - Avoid Brownout & Add Redundancy, even one for each servo.

Alan T.
Thanks, I am using a 3200mAh LiFe for the servos and a 2000 mAh for the Rx. I do not mind a drop of servo voltage for several miliseconds as long as there is no reset on the receiver.
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
528 Posts
Aurora 9 RS calibration troubles

I just replaced a LS slider on my Aurora 9. After entering the factory menu and successfully calibrating the new slider I noticed my right slider only has range of 0-127 from the middle of the physical control to one extreme. My LS has a range of -127 to +127, 0 being the middle.

I had an extra slider on hand, and replaced the old RS exhibiting this odd behaviour. Well, the new slider does this too. I only have half the range according to the calibration screen.

Anyone know what this can be? It doesn't seem to register the lower range past the notch.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics