HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipprell View Post
That is weird, but I have had a few odd things spontaneously happen with the radio in the way of programming.

What I would try, if you haven't already started over, is actually adding in AIL->RUD mix and see what happens (does it add even more mix?), then disable it and see if it returns to the original behavior.
I disabled the ail>rud mix when I discovered this issue. It made no difference. I may have found something.... In the DLG forum somebody thought I might have some rudder trim set in my "problem" mode. I'll look tonight when I get home. If that is the case it's an easy fix. I'm new to the A9 so I'm still learning allthe little ticks and pops of the TX

ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:02 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
137 Posts
A question for all A9 users:
I have an A9 which I have been using on several models for the last 2 years. The last 2 models crashed for no visible reason except the radio. The first one, a Balsa USA Fly Baby nosed down and crashed. The second one, an Aeroworks Cub, banked to the right and crashed. In both cases the radio was working normally immediately after the crash, and there were no beeps from the radio Tx when control was lost. The Tx is updated to the latest firmware.
Any help will be appreciated, since I am loosing my confidence in flying the A9.
Thanks.
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Unless you had failsafes set, and therefore are confident you had radio signal problems, really the only thing to do is assume you had problems powering the receiver. Need a lot more info to diagnose but generally that's the diagnosis.

Everyone should set failsafes on every model IMO.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2011
357 Posts
Hey guys,
i have an issue with my A9 and 4 aircrafts i fly at the field. I will try to keep this a simple as possible for more experienced guys to help me.
2 models are 20cc and 50cc edge 540 from aeroworks and other two are electrics (90mm edf and eflite 260). Now what iknow for a fact is that all models have been running well prior to september. I fly all models at my club and at an old airport with no issues.
Come september, and i started facing problems with my TX.
Case:
Received a new rx and wanted to bind, binding did not seem to work so i repeated till it was successful. Later noticed that all servo movement were jittery and came to find out that i somehow got into scan mode or as some also suggest, minima mode. Went online and got into to a tutorial over here about reverting back to normal mode. Did so on my TX and had to rebind all models for them to work again.
Now ever since september , every time i fly at our club (runway facing north and wind is NE) i get what i think is a lockout just south of the runway by 200-300 yards.
Did a range test and all is ok. Now its hard to say that its just me, because a few guys have had lockouts but they were on spectrums. My lockouts last about 1 or 2 seconds and lucky enough it happens far enough for me to be at a good altitude to recover. Most of my low flying happens at the beginning of the runway coming from the south facing the wind(inverted, KE, alphas)
50cc was almost a goner at 400 yards away.
20cc had 4 lockouts 150-200 yards away and so as the electrics.
I recently lost a eurofighter EDF and my doubts are this or a brownout.
Battery for TX and RX are always 100% or above 50% and gasser setup prove to be good and noise free. TX and RX are updated but i may have one or two optima 6 and 7 that are one version back.
Please give your comments as i am hesitant to fly my planes and maybe lose another one. There are over 150 guys flying at our field and we are only two hitec owners.
Thanks in advance for your comments!
Torchy is offline Find More Posts by Torchy
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:53 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,532 Posts
With gassers make sure you have the updates as there was a change to improve reception for some rare occurrences.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
357 Posts
Good point. I have one with the latest and the other one version back. yet they both had lock outs??? i am hoping this is minor and that it could be connected to september issue...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:27 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
Good point. I have one with the latest and the other one version back. yet they both had lock outs??? i am hoping this is minor and that it could be connected to september issue...
Did your failsafes kick on? If you didn't set them then you don't know for sure if you had a lock-out. Without failsafes set you may have had a power problem. Only way to know for sure is to limit out the power problem by setting the failsafes.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
357 Posts
fail safe kicked in. Infact to my disadvantage because i was flying inverted when it happened and i have a few degrees of up elevator, the rest i am sure you can figure out
typical symptoms when i know failsafe works in i get a sudden drop in power
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:39 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
fail safe kicked in. Infact to my disadvantage because i was flying inverted when it happened and i have a few degrees of up elevator, the rest i am sure you can figure out
typical symptoms when i know failsafe works in i get a sudden drop in power
There is no such thing as a "typical symptom" for a failsafe. You get the setting on each channel that you set the failsafe too. So it isn't typical... it's an exact thing.

Just double checking you set them.

On my gassers I set the failsafes to kill the engine. On electrics to go to 0 throttle.
I've only had that happen once. (It wasn't on a hitec radio BTW). But I knew instantly that it was radio loss and not some other problem.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:03 PM
Huntsville, AL
Joined Oct 2007
174 Posts
Torchy,

If everything worked until you attempted the new receiver binding then it's likely that the new frequencies that were selected in the scan mode don't work well at the field.

I would go through a re-bind (in the scan mode then in the normal mode) at the flying field with one plane so the A9 will select a new set of frequencies that ignore any interfering frequencies at the field. Test that plane at the field and if it flies with no problems then re-bind the rest of your receivers.

Mike
DoeHillFlyer is online now Find More Posts by DoeHillFlyer
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Man View Post
This is what I need and so far in spite of several suggestions - no go

1) glider mode - makes it most practical for F5B
2) throttle on spring loaded switch ( I had one converted to F)
3) butterfly on throttle arm ( more practical than slider)
4) 50% throttle on another switch for practice only as self lauch is hairy

If it can be done, please let me hear it.
I don't think you can do it with the motor control activated. If I assign throttle to the momentary and then an Aux channel to a 2 pos switch and make that switch also activate a p-mix of of to throttle with the setting at 100% with the switch on I can have that switch move the throttle to 50% in the monitor menu. Activating the momentary then would go to full throttle but you would need to set the T.Limit so not to go past 100% travel. You would lose the ability to set the delay and speed like is in the motor menu.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
357 Posts
Sorry for my wrong choice of "word" mulicheng. And yes that is what i meant. My gassers are set to have few clicks above idle, ailerons/rudder neutral and elevator a few degrees up. I do this because our field is situated in an open area and it would "theoretically" allow the plane to have a less disastrous journey back to the ground. I will try mike's advise and see how it goes.
Although i have to admit, i am a very cautious when getting into scan mode as i get confused if i am back to normal mode especially in binding.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,196 Posts
If your module is updates to V3.01 you can't operate in scan mode, only use it to select a new set of channels. If you are having problems like you report, you should rescan at the field and hopefully avoid what is affecting you. Also make sure the RX's are updated and your antenna placement is as far away from the motor and electronics as possible.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
357 Posts
Thanks mike. I have not used the scan mode yet. I that mentioned on the manual? if not, can you give a link to the following process and how to rebind in that manner.
Thank you for the support.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,365 Posts
Also remember if you select new TX frequencies in scan mode, you must rebind all your receivers.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing