HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Eliott, I plan to update the document to include programming for Reflex and a clearer explanation of Flaps. Just busy this week with work... This weekend we are hoping to make a soaring trip to a very nice mountain flying site (Greens Peak in AZ) and perhaps I can get time to setup and test the additional features there.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
SoarWest- Thanks for all your efforts... it is greatly appreciated!

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Mike (I tried sending this PM but your mailbox is full),

Thanks for the "thanks" on the document I've been working on. I keep adding to it which is why I provide a link instead of posting the material. If you see anything you feel I explained poorly or am doing "wrong" please let me know. Especially if you feel there's a better way to accomplish something.

There are some things that could be sent off to the guys updating the software such as the bug in the throttle triggered timer still counting time even when the throttle is disabled.

Dale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerMika View Post
Now I really wonder what I'm doing wrong with my flaps. A Pike Perfect with a 4 servo wing. I can set up the flaps to neutral using the endpoints or subtrims or both. The fully deflected flaps with the other endpoints. But how on earth do I get them move at the same rate? Somehow I always end up one of the flaps go down at a faster rate in the beginning and catch up later.
Another case of "I figured it out myself". First, the flaps on most planes are not "neutral" when they are even with the wing. They have much more down travel than up. So the only position where setting the subtrims makes sense is exactly at the midpoint of the throttle stick or whatever you use for controlling your flaps - wherever they are, they must be at the same deflection. Then set endpoints for the up and down deflection, up to be even with the wing, down to the max deflection. You can still get flap movement above the airfoil level with the mixes, just remember to set the travel limits to avoid overtravel if you have multiple mixes or happen to bring flaps down from an already cambered position.

Maybe this is completely obvious, but here it is, just in case someone else has been wondering how to get the flaps travel at the same rate.

Mika
FlyerMika is offline Find More Posts by FlyerMika
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
One tip is that I will typically assign the flap channels to CT or in some cases NULL. I don't like to have direct control with LS, instead I'll use the mixing either FLAP CONT,CAMB MIX, Butterfly or Landing to control them. If using NULL the servos will be at their center but in most cases that is not neutral at the trailing edge unless there is the same amount of up travel as down. In the CAMP MIX you can use the OST to compensate for this or if you use CT you can just adjust it so that the trailing edge is at neutral.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:20 PM
Call me Frosty
Lawton, Oklahoma - USA
Joined Sep 2004
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Eliott, I plan to update the document to include programming for Reflex and a clearer explanation of Flaps. Just busy this week with work... This weekend we are hoping to make a soaring trip to a very nice mountain flying site (Greens Peak in AZ) and perhaps I can get time to setup and test the additional features there.
good work. I suggest you eventually upload the document as a PDF document so that users without an Office type application can view it.
TheRealFrosty is offline Find More Posts by TheRealFrosty
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
The truth will prevail
Westbury, NY
Joined Nov 2009
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by udogigahertz View Post
No.

Imagine, when fail-safe occurs, there is no more a connection between your radio and the model, the fail-safe-positions of your servos (and motor) are pre-programmed in the receiver, if connection failed, this positions will be reached - and that's it.

What you want, would require an additional computer-chip holding this program inside of your receiver in order to switch the motor on and off.
As far as I know, no radio system offer this - right now.

Udo
This is really no problem if you do it yourself!

Triggered by the fail-safe signal of your RX one can design a small ($5) electronic circuit in your model which exactly does what you want.

Juergen
skyrock is offline Find More Posts by skyrock
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrock View Post

Triggered by the fail-safe signal of your RX one can design a small ($5) electronic circuit in your model which exactly does what you want.

Juergen
It would also be possible to flash a modified firmware that does this straight to the MCU on the ESC.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
TheRealFrosty: Very good idea to make the document available as a PDF file.

Having updated the Aurora A9 Sailplane setup document to include some additional clarity and information, I have posted it here as a PDF file. I will continue to update this as I work out new programming options.

AuroraA9eSailplanesetup.pdf
Last edited by SoarWest; Aug 30, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:16 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrock View Post

Juergen
@Legot:
Quote:
It would also be possible to flash a modified firmware that does this straight to the MCU on the ESC.
Yes of course those are practicable solutions for that problem. But, I am afraid, that the one, who asked this question will not be able to solve the problem this way ...... because if so, He would not have asked this question.

Therefore, my answer to his question is still: No.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:53 AM
Italy, Umbria, Perugia
Joined Sep 2006
85 Posts
Great Idea - Petition started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasTijs View Post
We should start a petition to get head tracking in!
The petition is here.

Make sure everyone gives a +1, even those just considering to buy an Aurora, and those who at present aren't interested in FPV.

Thanks to BasTijs, and to all who can support this change.

Coffeegeek
coffeegeek is offline Find More Posts by coffeegeek
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegeek View Post
The petition is here.

Make sure everyone gives a +1, even those just considering to buy an Aurora, and those who at present aren't interested in FPV.

Thanks to BasTijs, and to all who can support this change.

Coffeegeek
The market size of potential buyers who need FPV facilities is tiny, those who want head tracking even smaller than tiny.

There are far more important things to improve on the A9, than FPV facilities I'm afraid.

Sorry but its true.

VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
If Hitec felt like it, they could easily add head tracking. They already have a 4 channel and 9 channel selective trainer, all they need to do is let the user choose the number and location of channels to pass through the trainer port.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be terribly interested in getting an update out quickly, so Head tracking or not, we're all screwed.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:02 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Ugh. I went to adjust the stick tension tonight. One of the tension screws stuck on the end of the allen wrench and pulled out of the slot. The spring went loose. What a nightmare, took me like 40 minutes to get it fixed (with my wife's assistance)!

Why on earth are those spring sliders not captive in the tracks!?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:47 AM
The truth will prevail
Westbury, NY
Joined Nov 2009
683 Posts
@Udo
Quote:
Therefore, my answer to his question is still: No.
In God's free country the answer to this question is always : Yws, we can !

Juergen
skyrock is offline Find More Posts by skyrock