HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:44 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
QuitCherBitchen: The manual was of no help, not providing any guidance in this and many other areas. To write play with it and figure it out, is a very lazy way of documenting things. There remain many things that not only lack documentation but are bugs. For example, if you move your throttle to a slider, you do not set the activation point for a feature using the slider as you would think but still with the J3 control, even through you assigned it to a slider. Obviously that J3 functionality is hard coded and not changing in some menus.

Eric: Very creative, I'll have to give that a try. I believe you can implement this using flight modes, and tie those to a switch. Thus you could re-arrange your flight conditions (in the flight conditions menu, the last one is highest priority) Make the last one your Normal and it'll override the others. I don't know of a way to trigger flight modes using a stick percentage though.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,574 Posts
Soar, I am glad you are starting to wrap you head around this. Some of what are my snide remarks are not directed totally at you. Some people just love to bash the manufacturers. I have had to learn the hard way more then a few times with this radio and even crashed because of a programing error. I don't blame Hitec though. I have owned and built (heathkit) so many radios I could probably open a museum. Though one guy at the AMA show looks like he already did. This A-9 is a complicated piece of equipment that I still find hard to believe was made for toys. Now, I am want to be very gracious and say thanks for taking the time to figure out the idiosyncracies and the bugs. Most people just rant, so I am sorry if I offended your intentions.
Sincerely I find you solution to the slider quite interesting and may attempt to replicate it on my full house glider myself. Though all my gliders don't have motors I might have to get one.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:25 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
QYB (Quit Yer Bitchen...) I am very glad to have the Aurora. I admit to coming close to just stepping into something else but given all the planes and systems I have going I wanted to document it better.

Hey, perhaps the A9 has a few quirks and bugs but the good news is we HAVE A RADIO! I have been reading the XPS3216 thread for some time and it's a question as to "IF" anything ever really will show up there!

Some of the new systems are starting to get tempting so Hitec will need to update their system to fend off the competition here soon.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
8 Posts
The aurora 9 is an awesome piece of kit - I've barely managed to scratch the surface with it.
I do have a question regarding the fail-safe and i read through the documents but i can't find what i'm looking for exactly.
Is if possible for the fail safe to set the servo/motor to be on for only a certain period of time, rather than just on or off?
blackorchad is offline Find More Posts by blackorchad
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:13 PM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k View Post
I bought two 2s2200 cheap LiPo packs for the A9. I keep the spare charged and ready to go, so it's just a quick pack swap at the field when my pack reaches the end of its charge.
Yes, 2x $9.00. . What's difficult about that?? . Come on people, read the quote.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I am SOOOOOOO frustrated right now. I can get an older model to bind. It was working fine, then I rebuilt it, but nothing major, just some reinforcements.

After getting it back together, I can't get control over anything other than throttle. No servo action at all.

1.08 firmware
Optima 6 rx
Using SPC port

It's bound (red LEDs solid on both), but why can't I get the servos to move???
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
It's also worth noting that it seem to work fine on my other models... (optima 7)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:56 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I am SOOOOOOO frustrated right now. I can get an older model to bind. It was working fine, then I rebuilt it, but nothing major, just some reinforcements.

After getting it back together, I can't get control over anything other than throttle. No servo action at all.

1.08 firmware
Optima 6 rx
Using SPC port

It's bound (red LEDs solid on both), but why can't I get the servos to move???
Are you using a BEC?

It sounds like you don't have power on the servo bus.
The throttle will still work if the BEC isn't working, the receiver is powered by the spc port and the red wire is pulled from the ESC servo connector.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:04 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
No separate bec, bus is powered by the ESC's bec, over the throttle connector, which seems to work, as I can control the throttle with the radio fine.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
[QUOTE=jtaylor996;22567399]I am SOOOOOOO frustrated right now. I can get an older model to bind.
It was working fine, then I rebuilt it, but nothing major, just some reinforcements.
After getting it back together, I can't get control over anything other than throttle.
No servo action at all. 1.08 firmware Optima 6 rx Using SPC port
It's bound (red LEDs solid on both), but why can't I get the servos to move???[/
QUOTE]

Quote:
It's also worth noting that it seem to work fine on my other models... (optima 7)
As Red LED on module and transceiver are both lit & steady = ID setting is correct,
which indicates power to servo bus is either insufficient or servo leads are plugged in incorrectly.
Easy to do if Optima 6 Lite, refer information and pictures under:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Polarity of Ports & Servo Leads - with pictures.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Hmmmm, so the spc plug and wired connector use different pins? I'll have to double check my SPC connector... But would it fry the rx?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:54 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,449 Posts
Thank you Alan!

[QUOTE=A.T.;22549501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Hi friends, I have a DX6I but I think about buying a Aurora 9 to me.
Does it have small and lighters receivers like Spektrum?
I have small planes and need very light equipment inside..[/
QUOTE]

Yes, lightweight receivers are available:
. Optima Receivers - Light Weight. Optima_6 LITE Transceiver, Minima 6E, 6T & 6L Lite Micro Receivers...
.. Minima are compatible only with Spectra Module V3.01 or higher. Caseless Weights for 6 & 7ch Optima Transceivers.

. Optima Transceiver - Conversion Lighten 6ch for Indoor & Park-Flyers plus Alternate Light Weight 2.4GHz Antenna.

and aftermarket small Spektrum Rx coversions:
. 2.4GHz Hitec A-FHSS Compatible Receiver available
besides you can still use some of your Spektrum Rx with:
. Spectra 2.4GHz module - Spektrum DIY Conversion Fly BNF's.
with DM8 for MZ and DC/DC converter. - Original article

More information under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,449 Posts
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
RCG member SimonChambers has been selling reflashed FrSky VD5M receivers to work with the Aurora AFHSS transmissions. 2.15grams with case, 1.89grams without. Works great. It even has serial PPM output mode available.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1588721
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Looks like something's wrong with the bec on my ESC. It outputs 5v, but I get no workie from servos, just some noise. Looking at attached servo voltage, it looks like 2v. This is with the SPC connector turned around properly.

I put in a brand new optima 6, and had same issues. Different ESC and things work again.

W/o using SPC connection (just plug) I got both LEDs solid on rx, and nothing working at all (not even throttle).
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
cmd
Niceville, FL
Joined Oct 2004
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Looks like something's wrong with the bec on my ESC. It outputs 5v, but I get no workie from servos, just some noise. Looking at attached servo voltage, it looks like 2v. This is with the SPC connector turned around properly.

I put in a brand new optima 6, and had same issues. Different ESC and things work again.

W/o using SPC connection (just plug) I got both LEDs solid on rx, and nothing working at all (not even throttle).
SPC has nothing to do with the servo bus. You need power going to the servo bus AND the SPC, unless you have the jumper plug that came with the receiver plugged into the SPC port.

Check to see if you may have one of the servo leads plugged into the receiver in reverse. That will pull the entire servo bus down so none of the servos will work.
cmd is offline Find More Posts by cmd