HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:01 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,453 Posts
NIMH is a little more sensitive to overcharging. I would not even ponder several days. Check if the pack is getting quite warm and then disconnect.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Thanks guys. One thing that has me puzzled is the red light on the charger. When I first plugged it in the wall to start charging, the red light was brightly lit. But shortly after that, it went very dim. The red light is just barely shining and is staying that way. Is this normal? It makes me wonder if the NIMH battery comes already charged right out of the box?

Thanks
rocknrollrebel is offline Find More Posts by rocknrollrebel
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:59 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,331 Posts
Don't rely on the brightness of the charger light for any quantitative indication of the state of charge of the battery. The light is close to worthless, but if you follow the charging instructions in the manual you will be fine. Be sure to do the initial battery charge of the new transmitter as recommended before you begin programming and linking to receivers.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:18 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Perhaps my charger is different than the ones you guys are using, but mine does turn off (the light goes off) when the batteries are completely charged.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Eneloop batteries I am using? I build an Eneloop pack and have been very happy with it.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:51 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,331 Posts
My main point is that the charger light is not a voltmeter so don't try to calibrate the state of charge by its' brightness. Time is your best measure. In particular for the first charge, the procedure described in the manual (and in numerous rehashes by AT in this thread) should be closely followed when charging the OEM battery.

For myself, I soon switched to a LiPo and quit using the stock charger long ago but that's just my preference.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
My manual doesn't go into any detail of the first initial charge. It just says that overnight charging is required. It also states that the red light will go out when the charging is finished. The thing that threw me was that the red light on the charger was nice and bright at first but then became very dim almost to the point of not lighting at all. But as Greywing mentioned, I guess one should not pay too much attention to the light.

I have a lipo with the hitec connector ordered and should be here next week, so I will only be using this stock battery temporarily.

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
My manual does not go into any detail of the first initial charge. It only states that an overnight charge is required. It also states that the red led will light when charging and go out when charging is finished. The thing that threw me was that the red light was bright when I first plugged the charger in, but shortly thereafter it became very dim, almost to the point of not being lit at all. But as greywing mentioned, I guess one should not pay too much attention to the red led.

I have a lipo with the hitec white connector on order and should receive it next week, so I will only be using the stock battery temporarily.

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,799 Posts
Aurora 9 Battery FAQ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Perhaps my charger is different than the ones you guys are using, but mine does turn off (the light goes off) when the batteries are completely charged.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the Eneloop batteries I am using? I build an Eneloop pack and have been very happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollrebel View Post
My manual does not go into any detail of the first initial charge. It only states that an overnight charge is required. It also states that the red led will light when charging and go out when charging is finished. The thing that threw me was that the red light was bright when I first plugged the charger in, but shortly thereafter it became very dim, almost to the point of not being lit at all. But as greywing mentioned, I guess one should not pay too much attention to the red led.
I have a lipo with the hitec white connector on order and should receive it next week, so I will only be using the stock battery temporarily.
Thanks
Aurora 9 Battery FAQ: Please read answers provided under:

. Aurora 9 - Battery is not charged. Charge before first use so as not to damage battery.
Battery is 1300 mAh_charge rate is 80 mAh (to minimise damage if left on to long at any time) = 19-20 hours
for first full charge - please read the further details.

. Aurora 9 - Battery Installed ex Factory is part #54128 "TX NiMH battery (6 cell) Pack
(Flat Type) for AUR (RA9) 7.2v / 1300 MAh"(not an Eneloop 2000)....
Includes notes on Battery Compartment Size, Alternate Batteries and 2S Lipo Capabilities for Aurora & Optima RX.

. Aurora 9 - Lipo User Adjustable Voltage sets Shut Down = TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipo Battery and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipo which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)

. Aurora 9 - Warning Alarms Battery types, Voltage Level Interpretation & Consumption.
CAUTION - Leave Auto Hibernation (was Auto Power Off prior to V1.06) as "Never" when using Lipo Battery.
During "Auto Hibernation" (as with laptops) TX Does Not Switch everything Off
and batteries
will be completely drained if TX switch is not manually moved to the off position in good time.
Remove battery and store separately if TX is to be unused for a period.

. Aurora 9 - 110/230 Vac charger Charge Plug/adaptor sizes.
[Red LED does not change to Green simply dims out but charge continues same rate].

. Aurora 9 - Diode in TX Charge Circuit Never Jump TX Charge Circuit Diode - Hitec FAQ.

. Aurora 9 - Lipo & Field Charging. includes Fast Charge Aurora, Eclipse 7, Flash 4&5, Laser, Optic 6, Prism 7 etc.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,388 Posts
Hi friends,

I have a DX6I but I think about buying a Aurora 9 to me. Does it have small and lighters receivers like Spektrum? I have small planes and need very light equipment inside..
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Hey guys, If i make a pmix in say landing conditon and have it set as s. when i come out of landing condition back into normal will that mixx then not be in effect?

And when making this mix do i need to be in the flight mode i want it to be isolated too?
Thanks, this whole working mixes and conditions is overwhelming me lol
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,799 Posts
[QUOTE=Luis_Claudio;22548436] Hi friends, I have a DX6I but I think about buying a Aurora 9 to me.
Does it have small and lighters receivers like Spektrum?
I have small planes and need very light equipment inside..[/
QUOTE]

Yes, lightweight receivers are available:
. Optima Receivers - Light Weight. Optima_6 LITE Transceiver, Minima 6E, 6T & 6L Lite Micro Receivers...
.. Minima are compatible only with Spectra Module V3.01 or higher. Caseless Weights for 6 & 7ch Optima Transceivers.

. Optima Transceiver - Conversion Lighten 6ch for Indoor & Park-Flyers plus Alternate Light Weight 2.4GHz Antenna.

and aftermarket small Spektrum Rx coversions:
. 2.4GHz Hitec A-FHSS Compatible Receiver available
besides you can still use some of your Spektrum Rx with:
. Spectra 2.4GHz module - Spektrum DIY Conversion Fly BNF's.
with DM8 for MZ and DC/DC converter. - Original article

More information under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Hi friends,

I have a DX6I but I think about buying a Aurora 9 to me. Does it have small and lighters receivers like Spektrum? I have small planes and need very light equipment inside..
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...ghz/index.html

All the receivers are here.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Hey guys, I'm still working on setting up a plane with the A9. The manual states: Warning; "it is strongly recommended to use Hitec "s" Heavy Duty High Channel Switch Harness with Receiver Charger Cord (stock # 54407S) for Optima series Receivers. I have an optima 6 and a minuma 6 receiver and a parkzone p-47 and parkzone bf-109. Has anyone operated a plane without using the switch harness? I don't have the switch harness so I was wondering if I could still set up and fly a plane without it. Or do I need to order one and install it first before flying? The manual doesn't mention using the switch with the minima 6 receiver, but I don't think the minima was on the market at the time the manual was printed.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:41 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Switch harnesses are only required when using a receiver battery, so you can turn the rx on and off. With Planes with the bec (rx power) built into the esc, a switch harness is not necessary, simply plug the esc plug into the throttle channel, and all the servos into their respective ports, and go fly!
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 2003
108 Posts
Hello A9 Experts,

I have 2 issues that I wonder you can help me with. My Spectra module is updated to V3.01 and A9 is at 1.08.

1) I have a Optima 6 receiver in a plane and I have seen this behavior a couple of times. When the receiver links to the radio the stick response is delayed by 5 seconds or so. I re initialize the link between the TX and RX and everything works again. I am not sure if I ever re-linked this RX to spectra module after I updated its FW to 3.01 (do not know if that is even required for Optima 6). Could this be the issue? I am almost sure this occured before with this RX even before I updated the TX Spectra module FW.

2) for the FM Synthesized module, the manual says that I should be able to do a range check of 100 ft with TX ANT fully collapsed, I get 60ft or so. Has anyone seen 100ft or more. I am a bit worried since recently I lost a plane while flying and I am 100% sure it is because I lost the link (CH 55). Should I be worried about this 60 ft range?

thanks in advance for the help...
e-flythis! is offline Find More Posts by e-flythis!
Last edited by e-flythis!; Aug 26, 2012 at 01:57 PM.