HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
Optima 6 Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
I picked up my aurora 9 at my lhs today, and I've been busy setting it up with my planes. Very easy programming. I did encounter one issue when using the spc port, though. After I unplugged the battery in my plane, the alarm went off, and of all the times I tested it, it showed voltages of anywhere from 6.3 to 8.3. I'm using a cc Bec, with a 3s lipo, and the alarm set at 9.9v. Also, the receiver is an optima 6 with 2.02 running on it. Can anyone give me any advice on how to at least reset the timer or something?
Thanks
And 1.07 on the radio
See if an Optima 7 does the same thing, if no, flash Optima 6 back to version 1.04 try it again, let me know what the results are. I did encounter this with my friends A9, the Optima 7 was doing the same thing, never looked into it.
derek4610 is offline Find More Posts by derek4610
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
Color touch screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouin View Post
I spoke with a Hitec rep in Toledo. He mentioned that later this year would be a new a9 that would be only 2.4. Ie no module. He also mentioned that there would be a dual processor to allow more advanced programming. He also intimated that there may be a higher channel count aurora next year. He mentioned 14 channels. Would know more after the trip to Korea that is coming up in a few weeks. He did indicate that the new a9 would be backward compatible when I asked that question.
Did he say " 6 inch Color Touch Screen"?
derek4610 is offline Find More Posts by derek4610
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:43 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,361 Posts
Quote:
I picked up my aurora 9 at my lhs today, and I've been busy setting it up with my planes. Very easy programming. I did encounter one issue when using the spc port, though. After I unplugged the battery in my plane, the alarm went off, and of all the times I tested it, it showed voltages of anywhere from 6.3 to 8.3. I'm using a cc Bec, with a 3s lipo, and the alarm set at 9.9v. Also, the receiver is an optima 6 with 2.02 running on it. Can anyone give me any advice on how to at least reset the timer or something?
Thanks
And 1.07 on the radio
This is normal operation for the system. When you unplug the battery your voltage drops below the limit you have set and does what it's supposed to - gives you an alarm. You have to turn off the TX to silence the alarm. The reading you get is what happens to be sent to the TX by the telemetering just before it stops sending that info. Sometimes that will be above the alarm limit and it wont go off but that just depends on when the info is sent. Not a problem.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
Picked up my Voice module at Toledo today... will report back my experiences!!! Looking forward to annoying my flying buddies on the flight line!!!
dmize is offline Find More Posts by dmize
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:51 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,959 Posts
My module is quite nice-I'm only interested in the main battery voltage, so I don't have to look down.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
I picked up my aurora 9 at my lhs today, and I've been busy setting it up with my planes.
Very easy programming. I did encounter one issue when using the spc port, though.
After I unplugged the battery in my plane, the alarm went off, and of all the times I tested it, it showed voltages of anywhere from 6.3 to 8.3. I'm using a cc Bec, with a 3s lipo, and the alarm set at 9.9v.
Also, the receiver is an optima 6 with 2.02 running on it. Can anyone give me any advice on how to at least reset the timer or something? Thanks And 1.07 on the radio
1. AFHSS Warning Beeps - A9 & Spectra Module - Interpret & Manage Independent Alarms
"Battery Low Voltage Alarm1. Voltage alarm may or may not sound on Aurora when RX/Power battery is disconnected.
This is because the telemetry cycles about 3 times/second. Sometimes when you are unplugging
the battery, it will sense the voltage drop and the warning will kick in, but sometimes it won't
because once you unplug the battery there is no signal going back to the TX.
This alarm is "hit and miss" due to the way the system works.

2 Aurora 9 - Timer x 3 Set and Beeps.
Count Down/Up Set On/Off % of Throttle Stick Movement and reset method for V1.04<V1.07.

3. "And 1.07 on the radio " - suggest for optimum results update all units
- Aurora 9 & the Spectra Module to latest firmware.
Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use (with screenshots).
Current firmware for optimum performance:
. Aurora 9 V1.08(1) 10 July 2011
. Optic 6 Sport V1.04(1)
. Spectra 2.4Ghz Module firmware V3.01 18 April 2011
(How to update Hitec TX with fixed "modules" such as Eclipse 7 Pro, Optic 6 Sport & Optic 5)
. Optima 6, 7 & 9 Ch Transceiver Firmware V2.02(0) 07 Oct 2011
. HPP-22 Software Version V1.12(0) - 05 March 2012 (Details and pictorial "How to" install)

refer Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky for additional pages to manual and information:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:29 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Are there any big problems with 1.07, or is it just preferable to update? I plan on ordering an Hpp-22 using the promotional deal, so I'll eventually update, but if there's a serious issue with it I'll get one sooner, and update.
Thanks
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:50 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,450 Posts
Copper, Alan will chime in on all the details, but from what I can remember no major issues. 1.08 has a much better flap switch configuration.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:29 AM
United States, WA, Bothell
Joined Jan 2007
151 Posts
Un-binding issues

Sorry if this has been posted already, but not finding the answer. This happened on two different rx. I add a new rx and model and my previous models become what seems as unbound and the Tx is making a long continuous beep. The lights on the Tx and Rx are solid. I am trying to figure out why I am unbinding. The plane start to work after I rebind the Rx. I have recently added a new model, but I did not get a chance to see if the A9 unbound from other Rxs. Anything will help.

Thanks
Joel

I am going to re-flash all and everything to ensure that I have the latest firmware versions.
GotballsP-38 is offline Find More Posts by GotballsP-38
Last edited by GotballsP-38; Apr 15, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:37 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotballsP-38 View Post
Sorry if this has been posted already, but not finding the answer. This happened on two different rx. I add a new rx and model and my previous models become what seems as unbound and the Tx is making a long continuous beep. The lights on the Tx and Rx are solid. I am trying to figure out why I am unbinding. The plane start to work after I rebind the Rx. I have recently added a new model, but I did not get a chance to see if the A9 unbound from other Rxs. Anything will help. Thanks Joel I am going to re-flash all and everything to ensure that I have the latest firmware versions.
If you enter scan function (or scan mode for early versions) each time you set up a new transceievr/receiver, then you disconnect the link with all previous units and they will have to be re-linked.
If Tx is working well at your field, then simply set up the new receiver without entering scan function:
AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure for
........Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Transceiver or Minima Receiver.

Alan T.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Are there any big problems with 1.07, or is it just preferable to update? I plan on ordering an Hpp-22 using the promotional deal, so I'll eventually update, but if there's a serious issue with it I'll get one sooner, and update. Thanks
No problems with Aurora V1.07 but the enhancements under V1.08 make for easier use,
not shown in you manual are:
V1.07 Addendum
V1.08 Addendum

If flying GP models, then strongly recommend upgrade Spectra module to V3.01 & Optima to V2.02.

refer
Hitec AFHSS - 2.4GHz Firmware & Software Updates and
Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky for additional information:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, WA, Bothell
Joined Jan 2007
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
If you enter scan function (or scan mode for early versions) each time you set up a new transceievr/receiver, then you disconnect the link with all previous units and they will have to be re-linked.
If Tx is working well at your field, then simply set up the new receiver without entering scan function:
AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure for
........Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Transceiver or Minima Receiver.

Alan T.
Thanks Alan,
I never used the scan mode and always set up to the normal mode and waited for the four beeps.
Joel
P.S. I checked my other rx and had no problems. Was bound and no error beeps.
GotballsP-38 is offline Find More Posts by GotballsP-38
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Well, I tested it out today, it worked quite well, although it took me a while to get the right amount of expo, as the values have to be higher than they were with my Dx7s. I flew about 3 flights with my P-47, and then switched over to my P-51. However, I forgot to range check it, and it, about 2 minutes into the flight, it locked out, and dove into the ground. I blame myself fully, for not range checking though, and I'm sure it had something to do with the receiver, as I specked out my P-47. I will be sending the optima 6 into hitec to see what they think, and rebuilding with a spare receiver I had. Other than that, it worked quite well.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,959 Posts
That's a shame-in several years, I never lost a signal.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Yeah, it's really my fault, I should have range checked it. At least it's only my first crash that completely obliterated the plane.